Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:30 PM

50 posts, read 148,869 times

Advertisements

Hello and Happy Sunday!

My husband's computer took a nose dive a few minutes ago and we need to find a replacement. Are there any places around town anyone can reccomend for a decently priced gaming computer. We want to stay away from the normal brandnames that they sell at Best Buy or other retail stores and would like something built.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance for an replies. This board has not steered me wrong yet!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 03:24 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,746,028 times
I would check Craigslist, all the local stores are way overpriced. Depending on what specs he wants I know a couple of guys who sell towers. PM me if you need their info.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:30 PM

105 posts, read 239,742 times
Go see Stew at Sandia Computers on Eubank - south of Montgomery - you might pay a little bit more but he has some of the best service people there. They beat the heck out of the "box shops" and I've never had a problem - Stew owns the place.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:30 PM

107 posts, read 344,796 times
If you don't mind getting one in the mail...I highly recommend this company. The build the best computers, offer the best warranty, and won't play games with you. My last two computers I bought from here. Solid, dependable machines. If they can't fix it in an hour, they replace for free. They can work on the computer via the internet as well. Happily I've never had ANY problems from any of the two I've bought. Ones at the house my wife, 14 yo son, & 19 yo daughter all log time using. The other is at my business and 5 others use it reguarly and a few others sneak in and use. I can't give this company enough praise for these computers & the company that built, stands behind, and I'll use to purchase any other machines from. Vision Computers, Inc. - Discount Computer Parts and Components, Laptop Computers, and Electronics

Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 AM

Sandia Computers was one of the computer stores in Albuquerque which were sued by Microsoft for selling counterfeit copies of their software.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:05 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,095,747 times
My impression is that getting sued by microsoft isn't really
all that special of an honor. Microsoft can afford to sue
anyone anytime anywhere -- unless "anyone" is in China ...

Re. Broken IBM/Lenovo laptop:
------------------------------
My beef with Sandia Computers is that they were so busy
that they were inattentive. They would let days go by
without an update and when we called they didn't know and
couldn't find out and had to call us back, but didn't call us
back and when we called they didn't know and couldn't find
out and ... get the picture?

Eventually, we had them build a basic desktop for the $700
we already paid in advance for the mother board that somehow
they couldn't get in and didn't know and ....

It was almost a month from bringing in the bad unit to getting
back the desktop box.

My experience there will prevent me from getting my kick-butt
laptop that I'm replacing this December or January. It's too bad
because I was going to have them build a top-of-the-line unit.

(I still haven't ruled out doing it myself, just for fun, but I don't
know if I want to have the headaches.)

Old 09-28-2009, 11:36 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,836,270 times
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2003, Microsoft filed complaints U.S. District Courts against six resellers in Arizona, New Mexico and Ohio. Two of the complaints were resellers in Albuquerque, NM, Sandia Computers and Dr. Dan's Computers, allegedly selling counterfeit or unauthorized copies of older versions of Windows and Office.
http://www.crn.com/it-channel/188225...RSKHWATMY32JVN

I would still deal with Sandia Computers since we really don't know the pertinent facts of the above story.

Rich

Old 09-28-2009, 01:08 PM

Mortimer - Build your own just think how rewarding it will be.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:39 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,836,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Mortimer - Build your own just think how rewarding it will be.
While a student at the University of Texas in 1984, Michael Dell founded a company called PC's Limited with capital of $1000. Operating from Michael Dell's off-campus dormitory room the startup aimed to sell IBM PC-compatible computers built from stock components. Michael Dell dropped out of school in order to focus full-time on his fledgling business... The rest is history... Dell Inc, US $61.133 Billion revenue and 75,000 employees...

Rich

Old 09-28-2009, 03:09 PM

105 posts, read 239,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
http://www.crn.com/it-channel/188225...RSKHWATMY32JVN

I would still deal with Sandia Computers since we really don't know the pertinent facts of the above story.

Rich
I agree with you Rich - Stew will go out of his way for his customers - he'll go back to the bench and find out what's going on for the "regular customers" even if they bring in a "non-Sandia" computer. I wonder how many times Best Buy (?) or Staples or whatever "name-brand" store did not get named for such stuff.

I had McAfee (free from comcast) and it let a virus through - they recovered my hard disk AND restored all my old data. Worth the time and effort, and I'm self-employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque