Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:29 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

I have recently heard some interesting news about Delta that they will be installing on-demand video with live satellite television on all of their aircraft except the MD-88s and DC-9-50s (and any aircraft that Delta intends on eliminating).

Unfortunately, the Albuquerque Sunport mostly gets MD-88s on the ABQ-ATL route for most of the year, although we do get some 757s from March-August and during the Balloon Fiesta in October to handle the greater demand and for hot-and-high performance capability in the summer.

ABQ-ATL is over 3 hours long, so I think it demands an aircraft with on-demand video and live satellite television considering Delta will be installing the system on so many aircraft. I personally think that instead of flying the MD-88 on ABQ-ATL, Delta should use either the 737-800, A320 (from Northwest), or the MD-90 once the new video systems are installed.

Does anyone have their own opinion on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 12:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Several times a year I fly to NY via Minneapolis (Northwest Airlines), but I will be flying the ABQ-ATL-HPN or LGA route more often now that Northwest is a part of Delta; this Thanksgiving in fact.

However, I can usually go 3 hours without high technology to entertain me. I will bring a book or magazine or just use the time to think or write.

Now on a trans-Atlantic or similar flight, yeah, gimme the TV ;-)

ABQConvict

Old 11-19-2009, 12:08 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andros 1337 View Post
abq-atl is over 3 hours long, so i think it demands an aircraft with on-demand video and live satellite television...
Demands? Uh, no. A flight of 3 hours or so demands a nice book. Or the skill to have an intelligent conversation. Or an ability to take long naps. Would some folks love to have a boob tube in front of them for (another) 3 hours of their life? Sure. But this is certainly not a situation that demands anything like you have described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros 1337 View Post
i personally think that instead of flying the md-88 on abq-atl, delta should use either the 737-800, a320 (from northwest), or the md-90 once the new video systems are installed.
My opinion on this statement is that if you feel this strongly about how Delta conducts its business, you should purchase a controlling interest in the company and make it so. Or if that is not fiscally feasible, perhaps a letter or email to the CEO might sway the minds of the powers that be. But don't hold your breath.

Chap

Old 11-19-2009, 01:08 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
Between my Ipod and Sony Reader, I'm pretty much set. Since I fly UA only, and domestic US offerings of on-demand video are not something I am aware that they are pursuing, I'll continue to be happy with free seating in Economy Plus and upcoming free systemwide upgrades.

I've also never been on a UA flight that overshot the destination airport because the cockpit crew was too busy with their own inflight entertainment.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:17 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
Andros.. weren't you the person that thought we should build a tunnel bypass
around Albuquerque through the Manzanos that would be paid for by toll fees
on routes like Paseo del Norte??

Just trying to make sure I have the proper context to evaluate your contention
that the "situation demands" that airlines buy / reroute aircraft to suit your
entertainment needs..

Old 11-19-2009, 04:52 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times
I am sure if the revenue demands that we need the newer more fuel efficient 738 for half of the year instead of a MD88, then Delta will switch aircrafts. But, chances are, its possible that the 738 is being used on routes Delta finds it more capable, needed, or simply producing more revenue, while the MD88 is satasfying the needs and demands of the Albuquerque market. Clearly we produce more passangers and revenue in the warmer half of the year to get a 757. I suspect Delta has a pretty sophisticated revenue prediction department that selects where each jet goes to which destination.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
I am sure if the revenue demands that we need the newer more fuel efficient 738 for half of the year instead of a MD88, then Delta will switch aircrafts. But, chances are, its possible that the 738 is being used on routes Delta finds it more capable, needed, or simply producing more revenue, while the MD88 is satasfying the needs and demands of the Albuquerque market. Clearly we produce more passangers and revenue in the warmer half of the year to get a 757. I suspect Delta has a pretty sophisticated revenue prediction department that selects where each jet goes to which destination.
Well, Delta will soon be removing the rear galley from their MD-88s, which will increase seating capacity to 150, which will only be a 10 seat difference from the 737-800, which seats 160. Also, the MD-90s will be getting slimline seats to increase their capacity to 160 (same as the 738). The MD-90s WILL be getting the on-demand video with live satellite TV.

With a difference of only 10 seats that the MD-88 and 738/MD-90 will have, I am confident that ABQ-ATL can be operated more profitably with a 738 or an MD-90 vs. an MD-88. The Airbus A320 (from Northwest) might also work, however, I find it unlikely that Delta will use an A320 on the route as the plan is to have the Airbus narrowbodies based at MSP, DTW, and SLC, the former two being Northwest hubs.

Also, about capability, I can name several routes that are shorter than ABQ-ATL that use 738s or MD-90s. I won't list them here, though.

In addition, during the summer, the 757s are desired as the MD-88 struggles in ABQ's summer hot-and-high conditions. The 738 and MD-90 also have decent hot-and-high performance, and could easily complement the 757 during the summer.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
In addition, during the summer, the 757s are desired as the MD-88 struggles in ABQ's summer hot-and-high conditions.
You have the air density performance figures for the 757 vs MD-88? I really don't want to look them up, and I just don't know how you come up with some of the astounding conclusions you come up with...

Rich

Old 11-19-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You have the air density performance figures for the 757 vs MD-88? I really don't want to look them up, and I just don't know how you come up with some of the astounding conclusions you come up with...

Rich
I have learned this from Airliners.net, which I am registered to. The 757 is actually pretty well-known for being overpowered for its size, as it can get off the ground fairly quickly.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I have learned this from Airliners.net, which I am registered to. The 757 is actually pretty well-known for being overpowered for its size, as it can get off the ground fairly quickly.
In other words you you can't answer my question.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque