Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,176 times

Advertisements

Would like to move to Albuquerque, but when we visited we had nosebleeds and dry sinuses because of the weather - would appreciate any ideas on how to keep from getting these if we move there - and also does everyone in Albuquerque experience this? thnaks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:07 PM

366 posts, read 1,248,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K457 View Post
Would like to move to Albuquerque, but when we visited we had nosebleeds and dry sinuses because of the weather - would appreciate any ideas on how to keep from getting these if we move there - and also does everyone in Albuquerque experience this? thnaks
buy a vaporizer for your house. it helps a lot. also, your skin won't be so dried out.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:46 PM

238 posts, read 635,327 times
Lightbulb It's a Bloody, Buddy

Quote:

I used to have bloody noses frequently here when I was a kid. Haven't had one in years. Don't know why that is, but I am glad. I would recommend drinking lots of water and maybe using a moisturizer like saline, Vaseline, or other moisturizing creams or lotion for your nose. It may also help if you reduced your sodium intake.

You'll eventually get used to the high altitudes, thin air, and dryness after a while. I just wished I knew how to cure my doggone allergies, which plague me nearly every day!

--BtK

Old 12-15-2009, 11:51 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,037,617 times
Quote:

I have dry sinuses too, I got them right now, I also got allergies when I moved here too.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:19 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
A vaporizer or a humidifier will help.

Rich

Old 12-16-2009, 09:46 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,745,095 times
Humidifier will help but not guarantee against problems.

My sinuses were so bad that I had a recurring sinus infection, I finally changed Dr's and he prescribed a nasal spray which has worked wonders, I do use humidifiers as well though.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 AM

366 posts, read 1,248,528 times
i meant to say humidifier

Old 12-16-2009, 05:47 PM

31 posts, read 107,616 times
I think all of us transplants go through nose bleeds while getting used to the lack of humidity.

I use a simple saline spray that is real cheap I get from Walgreens (store brand). Ocean (brand) also sells a gel that is longer lasting in case you rather not carry a bottle with you everywhere. You will find that you will use it often at first and as you get used to the weather use it only rarely.

I also have two large humidifiers that keeps my humidity about 40-45% inside.

You should always stay hydrated, sounds silly, but it really works.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 PM

132 posts, read 347,433 times
Quote:
I don't know if everyone experiences this but I did myself. I just assumed I would not have allergy problems but just a month ago I have had allergy symptoms. Many people (myself included) believe that when they move to the "desert" there is nothing blooming. I'm having a really bad time right now myself, but I think I just need to be more consistent on taking my allergy meds. As far as the nosebleeds, most likely the high altitude and all. Very dry here too so a vaporizer helps. Once your system get's "acclimatized" it's no problem as far as the nosebleeds and dry sinuses. I also upped my water intake quite a bit which helped immensely.

Don't get discouraged though. I've lived in MANY worse places for allergies. TX and IA, believe it or not, which was a LOT more worse. Good luck to you

Old 12-16-2009, 11:35 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,625,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLIABQ View Post
Many people (myself included) believe that when they move to the "desert" there is nothing blooming. I'm having a really bad time right now myself, but I think I just need to be more consistent on taking my allergy meds.
This has been the worst place for me, for allergies. They usually aren't that bad in the other places I've lived, but the juniper/cedar pollen is almost year round here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque