Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:14 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,993,360 times

Advertisements

Why are earthquakes such a big deal.. most of our infrastructure built earthquake proof! ha...

I have lived in Albuquerque all my life... and I think that is the last thing that came to my mind.
You should be more worried about cold.....and wintery temps! ahhhhh!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:30 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,224,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Why are earthquakes such a big deal.. most of our infrastructure built earthquake proof!
It is? Our buildings aren't.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 AM

28 posts, read 80,517 times
Thumbs up snow and earthquakes and volcanoes...oh my...

Used to live in Denver for 25 years, so the snow and cold in ABQ are just fine, thank you very much! Interestingly, the average monthly temps in a year in ABQ abd ATL are VERY similar according to the weather channel website.
Guess I'll just take my chances on volcanoes and earthquakes...I knew there had to be something seismic going on with all the references to caldera and volcano vistas...
You all ROCK, thanks again for the info. I will probably DM you, Decay.
Does anyone in ABQ eat grits or black-eyed peas?? I may have to pack some when I move.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:21 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,993,360 times
The Big-I was made with some kind of inserts. For when a earthquake does happen... to protect it. And the buildings downtown, such as our tallest has earthquake resistant columns under the building......

Old 01-12-2010, 10:13 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,099,619 times
Yeah, THOSE buildings and structures are earthquake proof. But here in New Mexico, we have a lot of adobes... I have no idea how earthquake resistant an adobe would be. I guess we'll have to wait and see if that 100,000 year event occurs.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,036,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon38 View Post
Used to live in Denver for 25 years, so the snow and cold in ABQ are just fine, thank you very much! Interestingly, the average monthly temps in a year in ABQ abd ATL are VERY similar according to the weather channel website.
Guess I'll just take my chances on volcanoes and earthquakes...I knew there had to be something seismic going on with all the references to caldera and volcano vistas...
You all ROCK, thanks again for the info. I will probably DM you, Decay.
Does anyone in ABQ eat grits or black-eyed peas?? I may have to pack some when I move.

you'll probably have to pack the grits and black-eyed peas, not much around here unless you hit up Waffle House or Cracker Barrel or buy em in the grocery store but they arnt too popular around here.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:02 AM

801 posts, read 2,214,107 times
Quote:
About 30 years ago, when I still lived in Mississippi, my wife and I were driving to Estes Park for a vacation. On the way, we were surprised to find grits on the breakfast menu at a restaurant in Colorado. I ordered grits, and the waitress brought me a bowl of cold water with uncooked grits floating on top. I called her back over and asked her if she thought the grits might need more cooking. She confessed that she had worked there over a year...no one had ever actually ordered the grits before...and no one in the kitchen knew what to do with them.

I will have to say I can't recall ever having good grits at a restaurant in Albuquerque. Albuquerque has plenty of other good food...but when it's time for grits, you'll probably just want to take the cylinder of Quaker grits out of your cabinet at home and have at it. I still have to have a regular fix of grits in a small casserole container with plenty of butter, a couple of fried eyes and a biscuit tossed in...all chopped up to look like something you'd feed the dog.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:32 AM

28 posts, read 80,517 times
as long as I can get grits and black-eyed peas in the grocery store I am fine with cooking them. A lot of the restaurants here do not cook grits properly either - they are either very runny or you want to use it to re-grout your tiles. thanks all!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
Does anyone in ABQ eat grits or black-eyed peas??
Murphy's Mule Barn on the northern end of 2nd street in Albuquerque, NM. They serve fresh good grits according to my wife, I'm a hash brown person. But worth the visit. Here is Gil's review of the Mule Barn: Gil's Thrilling Web Site

Rich

Old 01-13-2010, 08:19 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,920,961 times
I buy INSTANT GRITS that come in individual serving packets. I add grits to things like soups and stew by way of giving them more "body." Love them for breakfast when eating out - don't fix bkfst at home normally.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque