Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 06:49 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Tomatillos are related to gooseberries, but not tomatoes,
Au Contraire, tomatillos are a member of the same family as tomatoes and gooseberries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
I must have missed it in that particular article, but several others also said that tomatillos are related to tomatoes!

So, I stand corrected.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faerie Grandma View Post
There is nothing to top those wonderful chilies from Hatch. What I'm having a hard time understanding is where in Heaven's name did Tomatillos come from? The first time I had them in a sauce I almost threw up. It's really getting hard anymore to find sauces without them. I feel they ruin the taste but I guess someone discovered they were a cheap way to extend the sauce. What's with it, does anyone know?
Faerie grandma
Tomatillos have been a part of the Mexican and Guatemalan diet for over 2,000 years before chilies from Hatch existed, Tomatillos are the main ingredient in salsa verde...

Here are mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKlBmtAi1VM

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-13-2011 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-05-2011, 09:52 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh...lordy.

Rich, I'm laughing so hard my sides are hurting......

Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
I don't remember whether or not I responded to this question. I like both, although I'm not all that familiar with Mexican food really. I don't think it's much of a fair comparison, though, given that Mexico is an entire country with a wide range of climates, and a coast line, for pete's sake. I think New Mexican food is simpler largely because it hasn't historically had such easy access to a wide range of ingredients.

I do sometimes wish a little cilantro would show up in New Mexican food, if only as a little raw garnish to balance out the heaviness of, say, a burrito. I also like cumin a lot, and apparently its frowned upon in New Mexican food. In fact, I recently realized in shock that there is no cumin in my cupboard. I don't cook nearly as much as I used to, but cumin is one of my favorite spices.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I also like cumin a lot, and apparently its frowned upon in New Mexican food. In fact, I recently realized in shock that there is no cumin in my cupboard. I don't cook nearly as much as I used to, but cumin is one of my favorite spices.
Yes, neither cumin nor cilantro, which are of the same family, are traditional to New Mexican cuisine. However, coriander seed, which comes from the same plant as cilantro, is. The plants thrive in a mediterannean climate so perhaps only the seeds of the coriander could easily be transported and kept on hand.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:28 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Gooseberries are hardly related to tomatillos (against what I have believed for years).

Tomatillos are from the Order Solanaceae which has all the Nightshade plants including tomatoes and potatoes, all common to the New World.

The gooseberry is Order Saxifragales which is an Old World group of families that includes plants as diverse as hydrangea and sedum (in other words, a really diverse group of plants).

Either way, I'll eat them both but not in New Mexican food.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Lets not confuse the issues with some facts.

1. I have eaten tomatillo's (they really need to be cooked, I roast them, many recipes say you can boil them in water.)

2. I have made salsa verde many times (I even started to make a video, shown above, but got discouraged...)

3. From: Tomatillo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The tomatillo (Physalis philadelphica) is a plant of the tomato family, related to the cape gooseberry, bearing small, spherical and green or green-purple fruit of the same name. Tomatillos, referred to as green tomato (Spanish: tomate verde) in Mexico, are a staple in Mexican cuisine. Tomatillos are grown throughout the Western Hemisphere.
Rich

Old 03-06-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Lets not confuse the issues with some facts.

1. I have eaten tomatillo's (they really need to be cooked, I roast them, many recipes say you can boil them in water.)

2. I have made salsa verde many times (I even started to make a video, shown above, but got discouraged...)

3. From: Tomatillo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rich
Why did you get discouraged? Keep going!

I thought you meant the video as a tongue-in-cheek ending to the thread! It just hit me funny when the blender would start, then stop while the video keeps loading, and the process is repeated.

I'll have you know it made my day, and the fact that I laughed so hard at a video that was apparently not meant to be funny showed how tired I was and the kind of day I had away from the computer.......

Old 03-06-2011, 02:00 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,158 times
I love tomatillo sauce; great with chicken, pork and cheese. They come back in our New England garden every summer., but here people sell them as Tommy Tiller tomatoes and I always wonder if people know what to do with them. Thanks to my TX ex-bf, I do. Cumin and oregano is a classic Mex spice combo. I still have yet how to make a good enchilada sauce though, by scratch of course. Yesterday my mom made the recipe off Goya's Giant White Corn, pork stew, it was really good. That giant corn is something else. I tried to pop it but it didn't work out. German fd #1, Mexican #2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque