Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 15,638 times

Advertisements

Hi there to all, I'll be moving to the Albuquerque area in the next two weeks and with safety in mind I've been looking at a few apartment/condo locations in the NE Heights area. I looked at the Las Kivas apartments (used to be Tramway Ridge apts.) off of Tramway and was told by the cops that even though this is a "gated" community they have had 5 calls on auto theft in the last five months, 7 suspicious person calls (a total of 32 calls to the cops in 5 mos). This seems high to me, but I'm not familiar with the area- anyone have any input? The other place I looked at was the Mesa del Oso condos , (only 4 calls to the cops in 5 mos, one of which was a burglary). I would appreciate any input at this point, since the whole move is looking pretty scary to someone who has never lived in the big city before. If there are apartment renters who like where they live, I'd love to read their responses!
Thanks in advance!
Roo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 01:51 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
For some reason, there are a lot of apts. along Tramway with unusually high crime reports.

Just goes to show you, if you have unprofessional and lazy landlords, crime can persist even in upper-class neighborhoods.

I recommend looking at a different neighborhood. Plenty of nice apartments in Albuquerque.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 15,638 times
Thanks for the input. Good to hear from anyone with some insight on the area.
Roo

Old 06-02-2007, 09:17 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times
I'm not sure what part of town this complex is in, name is Academy Heights and it's at 5555 Wyoming Blvd NE. I was checking spots out on the internet and found this one, loved the floorplans, and emailed a friend who lives in ABQ. Much to my surprise, she said she used to live in the same complex before she bought her house (about 6 mos ago) and says it's a nice area, she had no problems there. Apparently it's pet friendly as well (she has dogs AND cats).

Old 06-02-2007, 11:51 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Generally, I like to stay North of Lomas and W of San Mateo, but
I can't guarantee that there are *not* some nice places inside
that region I'm advising you to avoid.

5555 Wyoming Blvd NE as mentioned by Yukon is sort of in the 'sweet
spot of what seem to be nice apartments. I'm near there at 10700
Academy in the La Mirage and I like these places also. There are
some ten or so complexes - all nice nearby.

The 5555 Wyoming spot is walking distance to Smiths - a good
grocery store and Wal Mart and Pet Mart. Also, there is a Whole
Foods in walking distance. There are a number of nice looking
places near there.

The La Mirage is walking distance to a different Smiths and a nice
restaurant. As you go up Academy, the apartments are newer,
nicer, and more expensive.

My rate is $933 for a three-bedroom.

I don't have personal experience with Tramway Ridge Apartments, but
they have always looked a little cheesy to me - right next to a busy
road (Tramway). To me, there should be some offset and vegetation
to 'soften' the transition from road to the nearest building.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 7,741 times
Hello there. I've lived in "Las Kivas" since september of 06. It is a beautiful place and nice layouts inside and as per complex, however the owners have changed several times just before I moved here, and again once i moved here. The office is full of a different set of people each time I go in, and most of the time they don't know much about what is going on. Maintenence work is lacking, they will tell you when they'll be there to fix it and never show up, a month ago my garage was supposed to be re-keyed and they have still yet to do it (and i've reminded them several times, each time being told it will be done that day). When I moved in I took an option of upgrades which costs more per month, they only half finished the upgrades and have yet to come back. The silliest thing to me was the ceiling fan in my living room - the apartment is two stories and the living room goes all the way to the top, they're excuse for not changing that ceiling fan with the upgrades was because "they couldn't get to it" .. How hard is it to get a ladder for an apartment layout you know you have many of? They're also starting to let a lot of not so great neighbors move in, so the theft and what not is becoming a problem - and yes the police have been here quite frequently lately. I would suggest not giving these people a shot, they are very unprofessional and not very organized and the complex is suffering for it. Myself and four others I know here are moving out within the next couple of months because of it.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:50 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,117 times
Default section 8

Try to live someplace thats not involved with the "section 8" housing program which subsidises low-income renters. Its the kiss of death to a formerly nice complex when they move in, and ruination for the surrounding neighborhoods. The absentee landlords love 'em, since a large part of their income is assured and they get govt. incentives and tax breaks which can offset their remodeling and rennovation costs. When a complex starts going "section 8", it means they're on the downward spiral and picking up speed.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:25 PM

82 posts, read 393,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Try to live someplace thats not involved with the "section 8" housing program which subsidises low-income renters. Its the kiss of death to a formerly nice complex when they move in, and ruination for the surrounding neighborhoods. The absentee landlords love 'em, since a large part of their income is assured and they get govt. incentives and tax breaks which can offset their remodeling and rennovation costs. When a complex starts going "section 8", it means they're on the downward spiral and picking up speed.
Sad thing is these section 8s are popping up everywhere. When you think you find a place you can afford, they tell you they are section 8 low income or whatever which means you do not qualify. You have to have a total income of like $24000 a year which is ridiculously low.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:30 PM

82 posts, read 393,152 times
Stay away from anything owned by NALS and Del Rio apartments on the westside. They look great on the outside and treat you nice until your lease is signed. Then it goes down hill. We had two auto thefts because of no security and they absolutely refuse to have any security. The mailboxes get popped all the time, windows get broke, and then they try to make you forget your lease is up so three months later they can slap you a bill of an extra $600. That was sort of our fault but they had no courtesy to be gentlemanly about it. They were down right threatening and rude. There attitude is they are always at or close to occupancy so they do not need to treat you good. The ones I am at now on Eubank and Montgomery, Sierra Meadows is wonderful. You should check them out.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:30 PM

16 posts, read 93,193 times
Another piece of advice is go back to the apartments after 5 pm and check out the noise and the condition of the Autos. If there are a lot of old and bad paint Autos, that is a big clue that there are less then desirable renters there. Stay away from either "Lincoln" Apts., the management sucks and they do the minimum repairs. Also I would stay away any apartments that have studios, effenciencies, and three bedrooms (more kids) and apartments that charge less then $550.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque