Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:08 AM

366 posts, read 870,219 times

Advertisements

Yep that sounds right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 12:32 PM

548 posts, read 1,219,120 times
This is too funny. I just moved to Albuquerque from SE Michigan a year and a half ago and one of my fears was creepy crawlies (and crime).

We have happily moved to the NE part of Albuquerque which fortunately has both the lowest crime and the least amount of spiders. I think you get much more of the wildlife if you live in the valley. Since moving here, I have seen zero spiders in my house during the winter and maybe two spiders a month during the summer (but they have all been the small harmless things that you see in Michigan).

Old 03-25-2010, 04:28 PM

366 posts, read 1,248,683 times
i live in a loft downtown. found a black widow in my kitchen two days after i moved in. and another one in my garage a few weeks ago.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:02 PM

110 posts, read 366,565 times
We have grand daddy longlegs (they don't bite-I play with them), I've never seen a recluse and I've lived here since 1954. As for black widows, we live by a rule out here- never stick your hand in where you can't see. Live by that rule and you'll be ok.

Black widows don't like being inside the house. It's a rare thing to find one inside. They love overhanging shingles around the outside bottom walls. And they dearly love piles of tumbleweeds that have all dried up and packed up against a wall or fence. You can always tell a black widows web, it looks like a drunk made it.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:36 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,481,258 times
As far as I know (correct me if I am wrong) the only poisonous tarantula is in South America. The ones we have in the NM desert are not. They are easily kept as pets. I've had them crawl on my hand up my arm and it just tickles. They are hairy and feel like ducks.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:52 PM

307 posts, read 686,142 times
i see more centipedes and scorpions then spiders. i have seen tarantulas, but they're far and few between.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:46 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,194,926 times
Lots of daddy longlegs coming out now that it's starting to get cold, east of the river. They've always been the most common spider hereabouts.

Our black widow boom is slowly waning, though I suspect they're still throughout my property.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,836,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
As far as I know (correct me if I am wrong) the only poisonous tarantula is in South America. The ones we have in the NM desert are not. They are easily kept as pets. I've had them crawl on my hand up my arm and it just tickles. They are hairy and feel like ducks.
All spiders have fangs that inject venom... Spiders are pretty much found worldwide on every continent except for Antarctica. Only a few species of spiders are dangerous to people, Recluse Spiders and Widow Spiders (including Black Widow). I have found and killed several Black Widow spiders in my yard and have seen them in Albuquerque and Rio Rancho.

Quote:
Video Uploaded on Jun 13, 2011 - Black Widow and nest in my yard June 11, 2011, New Mexico. This is what their nests/webs look like. Kind of a messy collection. Noticed her while watering a flower bed and cleaning up. Glossy body and the Red Hourglass marking on the underside. Video is not edited, uploaded directly from computer. Taken with a Canon SX10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ThEUATsFA

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-29-2016 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-31-2016, 11:37 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,515,829 times
I'd find a few wolf spiders too. woof woofs.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:03 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,481,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
All spiders have fangs that inject venom... Spiders are pretty much found worldwide on every continent except for Antarctica. Only a few species of spiders are dangerous to people, Recluse Spiders and Widow Spiders (including Black Widow). I have found and killed several Black Widow spiders in my yard and have seen them in Albuquerque and Rio Rancho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ThEUATsFA
YES, I know spiders inject venom, but as I understand it, usually, unless one is allergic to the tarantula's venom, it would be something like an ant's bite. Lots of Black Widow Spiders here in LC. I see them a lot on my patio. I kill them immediately!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque