Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:37 PM

6 posts, read 15,913 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 years old, male. I'm graduating from college in upstate NY and managed to land a job...they want me to move to ABQ.

I'm super pumped, I've been researching the city and the surrounding area for weeks and I can't wait to move out there. I've lived in the Northeast my entire life...I've always wanted to get out west.

I'm big on the outdoors, I run, ski, bike, hike...everything, and I've heard Albuquerque is great for that kind of stuff.

One of my questions is housing. I'm a young guy, I do drink and party, smoke occasionally. Are there certain areas of the city that house younger people? Preferably the 20-25 crowd? I know UNM is close by...I'm not against living near college students but I was kind of looking for people who are past the college phase.

My job is somewhat entry-level, so I'm not rolling in the dough. I was hoping to find a place between $350 and 500 a month. Any ideas?

Any other tips about the city and the surrounding are would be appreciated too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,226,997 times
What area of the city will you be working in?

Old 03-23-2010, 01:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,194,926 times
I'd think if you do drink and party, UNM area would be exactly what you're looking for. Good central location, good access to drink and parties. UNM's not like many schools when it comes to age; its mean student age is 27.4. The partying's a little different than a college town's 18-22 crowd.

Your budget says "UNM ghetto" to me.

Then again, we're waiting on hearing where you'll be working. That's a very important determinant.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM

195 posts, read 472,683 times
"UNM ghetto"..... that doesn't sound appealing to me. So.... south valley?

Old 03-23-2010, 10:25 PM

741 posts, read 2,924,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwhale View Post
"UNM ghetto"..... that doesn't sound appealing to me. So.... south valley?
Uh ....no.

Zoidberg's answer (pending employment location info) is the correct one.

Chap

Old 03-24-2010, 09:20 AM

366 posts, read 870,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop924 View Post

I'm big on the outdoors, I run, ski, bike, hike...everything, and I've heard Albuquerque is great for that kind of stuff.

One of my questions is housing. I'm a young guy, I do drink and party, smoke occasionally. Are there certain areas of the city that house younger people? Preferably the 20-25 crowd? I know UNM is close by...I'm not against living near college students but I was kind of looking for people who are past the college phase.

My job is somewhat entry-level, so I'm not rolling in the dough. I was hoping to find a place between $350 and 500 a month. Any ideas?

Any other tips about the city and the surrounding are would be appreciated too!
You shouldn't be bored if those are your interest.

Student ghetto is where you want to be.

This thread defines it well:
//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...ecision-3.html

Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,403,274 times
It not 'Student Ghetto', It's 'University Heights' ;-)

It has a range of housing options from dumpy house/apartment to nice digs and bleeds into Nob Hill which has even nicer housing stock (with the corresponding increase in price).

Rent in the UNM area (south of UNM) and if you don't like your place, within a few months you will know where to move.

ABQConvict

Old 03-24-2010, 11:38 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,040,733 times
Im not familiar with the prices in the UNM area but $350-500 is pushing it, you'd be lucky to find a one bedroom apartment in this city for that price, I think the South Valley might have some, but I dont think you would like that area.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,481,864 times
Given the OP's budget the thing that makes the most sense is what lots of younger folks are doing now, house sharing with 2 or 3 roommates to be able to afford a decent place. Suggest you look on craigslist and elsewhere to find ads seeking roommates, come up with a list of places/people to interview to find the best match to your interests/desired location, and commence the interviews in person (so you can eyeball both possible locations and roommates). Both my son (here) and daughter (Seattle) did this in the past 1-3 years with great success. They stayed at extended stay places initially, interviewed folks and found long-term places, and were each out of their extended stay place and into a house with roommates within 1-2 weeks of arrival.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:34 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,226,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Im not familiar with the prices in the UNM area but $350-500 is pushing it, you'd be lucky to find a one bedroom apartment in this city for that price, I think the South Valley might have some, but I dont think you would like that area.
There are a few properties on Gold near 6th-10th that should be near your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque