Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,209 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking for real info from locals on this area. I am moving from NY and have done my research. There is nothing like getting the real deal from a local. I need info on Abq High School? Is the area safe,clean would you live here and send your kids to school here and why. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
Albuquerque HS - 63-67% graduation rate, consistently failing to meet AYP ( 38.7 math, 48.8 reading ) high percentage of kids from low socioeconomic backgrounds, disproportionately high minority population ... all reasons to avoid this school, IMO.

I would consider Nob Hill, but never consider ABQ HS.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:14 PM

238 posts, read 634,636 times
Lightbulb Privatize Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post

Albuquerque HS - 63-67% graduation rate, consistently failing to meet AYP ( 38.7 math, 48.8 reading ) high percentage of kids from low socioeconomic backgrounds, disproportionately high minority population ... all reasons to avoid this school, IMO.

I would consider Nob Hill, but never consider ABQ HS.

I'll second Karma's thoughts.

AHS is not a bad school, but it doesn't really put out a high return for your tax dollars. I've already said this a million times on this board: send your kids to a private school! Especially in Burque. St. Pius, Academy, Bosque, Sandia Prep, Hope, Menaul, Charter School... anywhere but APS schools.

If you must send your kids through APS, go with Eldorado, La Cueva, Sandia, Manzano, or Volcano Vista. You're kids will do a lot better at those places than anywhere else.

Most APS schools are babysitters for kids and parents who couldn't care less about their kids. Why have your kid be yet another 'run of the mill' tragedy?

--BtK

Old 04-08-2010, 09:53 PM

108 posts, read 264,421 times
Hi--Washington and what? Washington itself is a pretty busy road. The neighborhoods east and west of it vary--between Constitution (south) and Indian School (north,) there is the Altura Park area to the west (very nice and $$$,) while on the east side of Wash. is a more modest neighborhood (fine, just not as snazzy.) South of Constitution, there are nice houses in the blocks both east and west, more so on the west. It peters out a bit as you go farther east. As for high school, I went to AHS but it was a long time ago! It's a big, urban-feeling high school near I-25. Racially diverse. Not a great school when I was there, but pretty good honors classes. I know someone whose daughters have gone there much more recently, and they really have liked it, at least for one of their kids. A mixed bag.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 PM

923 posts, read 2,418,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
I'll second Karma's thoughts.

AHS is not a bad school, but it doesn't really put out a high return for your tax dollars. I've already said this a million times on this board: send your kids to a private school! Especially in Burque. St. Pius, Academy, Bosque, Sandia Prep, Hope, Menaul, Charter School... anywhere but APS schools.

If you must send your kids through APS, go with Eldorado, La Cueva, Sandia, Manzano, or Volcano Vista. You're kids will do a lot better at those places than anywhere else.

Most APS schools are babysitters for kids and parents who couldn't care less about their kids. Why have your kid be yet another 'run of the mill' tragedy?

--BtK

Wow, that's painting with a pretty broad brush! There are many fabulous kids who graduate each year from APS -- MANY!!!

I do agree that AHS would be near the bottom of my list for schools though. A large area that it serves serves is rough. If you are referring to Washington that crosses Lomas, Central and Zuni, that would be Highland HS, not Albuquerque HS.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Hmm, ok. Nob Hill by Washington. North or South of Central? First of all, I'd call this area the far east fringe of "Nob Hill." Definitely a different, and seedier, feel than farther west on Central. Think a few nice stores, mingled with low-budget motels, fast food places, vacant trashy lots, and so on. South of Central there are some nice-looking new apartments and a park/playground (sometimes with people sleeping in it in the middle of the day.) It is within walking distance of the more pedestrian-friendly, more boutique-y "Nob Hill." It is so close to Highland, I'll bet that lobo is right--this is probably HHS district. HHS has plenty of problems but supposedly has a good principal. A mixed bag of feeder middle schools. North of Central along Washington is an ok area--better on the west side than on the east.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,209 times
Thanks for the info. Not sure on North south east west? I do know it is Zia el , Rossevelt middle and for sure AHS. I did call the school transportations and gave them the address and this is what they told me. Now with that being said are any of you familiar with the Tijeras area or Moriarty schools. I have found a very nice home there as well, although I realize it is a bit rural..how nice of an area is it? Any info is sooo helpful! Thank you so much!

Old 04-11-2010, 03:14 PM

132 posts, read 291,189 times
As an AHS graduate I have to step in and say that there are some excellent teachers at AHS. However, yes, your children will be "forced" to mingle with other children of different ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds. But don't think for a second that he or she would be getting a second rate education. If you are a good parent then your child would be fine. I'd chose AHS over many of the other high schools in the city, personally.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 PM

Hey urbanabq, when did you graduate?

Old 04-14-2010, 07:28 AM

132 posts, read 291,189 times
'98...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque