Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 07:41 PM

82 posts, read 393,319 times

Advertisements

I would not say the cameras are illegal. I actually think they are ok. If you do not break the law, why worry? On the other hand, it was clearly a money game from the beginning. $100 fine is way too much. Still, atleast Marty found some moneymaker in all the years he has crushed this city into tremendous debt. If I had 1/10th of a cent of every dollar spend on road work in this city, I would be a billionair. Marty can be a retard sometimes with things like proposed sign ordinance and road work but he can be a genious with other things like HEART and this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
The plastic plate covers are not illegal according to the state traffic code because an officer can read them from 150 feet away. But from the angle of the camera they could blur the lense. If the lense is blured redflex cannot issue a citation. Redflex and Marty are unable to steal from the taxpayer when the plates are blurred.

Marty had a little hissy fit on the news with his asst. chief shultz they both said folks trying to keep there money in their pocket was wrong. So he had his police force start cracking down on the innocent taxpayers with the legal plate covers.
He even went so far as to name the cop with the most plate cover citations the officer of the month. Captain Bill Henz issued over 40 citations to win the award.
Nevermind the murders, gangbangers, drug pushers,drunken drivers etc. Lets go ahead and waste taxpayer money and stop folks for having a plastic plate cover that is not even against the law to have.

You do have a point about how Marty ignores the other crime in this city.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Thank god for Jim Villanucci Show on 770 KKOB for exposing this Bafoon ( mayor marty) for what he and this program is all about. If only Councilman Brad Winter would've won the Mayor's race !! Maybe Jim V will run against mayor Bafoon next time.........
He won't because as sad is it may be, Marty will be our next governor.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:58 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,489,560 times
Default Bill Richardson = carpet bagger

Bill Richardson has always been a carpet bagger of the very first order. He'll spend not one second longer in NM than it takes to get himself comfortably esconced back in the Beltway where he belongs. Of course it goes without saying that it will NOT be at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., but I guess he can dream, can't he?

Old 06-17-2007, 07:30 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,633,610 times
I'm split on Richardson as GUV....I approve his GRIP Freeway/Highway projects and pushing the Spaceport and he did give 30 million dollars to build the new high school down south in Chaparral but...... the Train is a waste of money as 300 million dollars for something that goes about 30 miles and not reach the peripheral parts of the state could have been used to rebuild Paseo and I-25 or other freeway projects in ABQ or Las Cruces. Also he vetoed breaking up APS which is a joke with Beth Everett as Superintendant who is incompetent IMHO.......

Go Rick Holmans for GUV........

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 06-17-2007 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-17-2007, 05:49 PM
_yb _yb started this thread

1,120 posts, read 5,291,276 times
Word is that marty and his asst. chief shultz are working at a fever pitch trying to redo the accident stats to were they only take into account accidents in between the crosswalks of an intersection. The accident rate should really take a plunge once they are complete with that stat report.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:34 PM

I am having a harder time each day with Richardson possibly being president. He is too fixated on attacking Bush instead of getting down to the issues. Bush is going to be in the past when he becomes president and asking for immediate withdrawl of all troops in Iraq is irresponsible. He is telling people what they want to hear.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:25 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
Cities in Florida can install cameras but can't issue tickets. Red light running is a hobby in most cities, a full fledged pro sport in many others. I hate it. I just spent a week in Phoenix where many intersections have cameras and tickets ARE issued. There was virtually no red light running. I loved it. Keep the cameras.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:35 PM

181 posts, read 707,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Word is that marty and his asst. chief shultz are working at a fever pitch trying to redo the accident stats to were they only take into account accidents in between the crosswalks of an intersection. The accident rate should really take a plunge once they are complete with that stat report.
After hearing the stats myself, I was very curious about how the studies were conducted and the information compiled prior to media release. Anybody have a link or knowledge about where to find this info? I'm assuming this is a matter of public record that can be viewed and objectively verified by willing citizens. If not, we've got a serious problem to address!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:19 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,718,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmderosa2k View Post
I would not say the cameras are illegal. I actually think they are ok. If you do not break the law, why worry?
I respect where you are coming from, but I cannot describe how wholeheartedly I fervently disagree with this notion...you hear it all the time in defense of government beauracracy..."if you don't break the law, you have nothing to worry about", etc.

Here is a fact:

-Every man and woman in the United States has broken a law. Some people hate to hear it, some people think they are "good people" whatever that means and have never broken a law. But the fact is this - we are all fallible, mortal human beings who make mistakes and break laws - knowingly or unknowingly. Have you ever gone 2 miles per hour over the speed limit? If you have...you have broken the law! Have you ever crossed an intersection in an area that was not properly designated for such?...eg: "jaywalking"...if you have, you have broken the law!

Have you ever brought a pen home from work that didn't belong to you accidently? Broke the law!

Have you ever maybe just not completely stopped on a right hand turn but instead had a rolling pause? That is breaking the law! Have you ever accidently driven with a light of some sort burnt out (that you didn't eve know about) - you broke the law!

Here is the point - yes, we all have broken a law.

And I just believe most drivers - at one point or another - accidentally generally - have entered an intersection a 1/10 second too late - just as yellow became red. I think with these people, most generally do not do it, and most people do not even try to "press it." I would argue strongly that those who don't fit this mold and are completely irresponsible enough to blatantly continuously run red lights...they would be doing so regardless of camera or none - likely they won't care about a fine, as they aren't paying it anyway!

So...the big question that questions like "if you don't break the law, why be worried?" totally don't grasp is - really, truly, HOW do you want to live? Do you want to live free...which means not having the option to continously openly break laws, but rather means being a responsible citizen but not having government / Big Brother monitor every thought, word and deed you do in your daily life wherever or whenever you do it. Or...in the hope of somehow trying to make your life more "safe" or insulated, are you willing to let the government pretty much oversee your many actions like a parent of a 1-year old and live your life like that. Live under the scrutiny of the government and - bang! - big fine each and every time you slip up (just like they themselves and everyone else on earth does).

To me...it is quite simple, and I think itelligent people can fall on both sides of the debate (but to me personally, I think there is only one reasonable answer): Do you value safety or freedom more in life. And while you surely hope there is a reasonable dosage of both, how far are you willing to compromise freedome in the name of safety?

To those that say: Oh, it is just a few red light cameras, the government is ONLY monitoring you if you run a red light with those cameras. While this may be true - for now - I agrue those folks have very little understanding of history and precedence in government, and how a snow-ball effect always DOES occur. It isn't "if"...it is "when." I could cite more examples of this than you can shake a stick at.

It may "just be" 20 intersections right now...but it won't be in five years unless the intrusiveness is killed now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque