Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:24 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Visit Jubilee Los Lunas - an active adult community in New Mexico This is another option...also you are leaving a no income tax state (not withstanding Gates dads plot) ...for about 5% Income tax...property taxes are about average. Also if allergies/dust are a problem, its get pretty severe in the spring.

Both Good points. I am very up on the State Income tax issue.

We are both eligible for the Dreaded Federal Required Minimum Distributions from Tax deferred accts.
An additional state tax is a big deal if you have the option to live in a State that does not have one like Washington.
Gates senior means well but things have a way of migrating from a benign requirement to a full blown State Income Tax. All the State needs is a shoe in the door. Thats why it is always been voted down when it comes up.

We have looked at Idaho and Oregon as well but the Taxes are still a big issue, Especially Oregon with 9%
We really are looking at the Total Tax load for our personal situation in each State, so just the State tax alone does not tell the whole story.

The allergy/dust etc problems are real for some people and I do not think you can get away from it in most Desert Areas with wind as a factor.
Do you actually get Dust Storms there?

Thanks for the reference too.

Silverfox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
You might want to take a look at Del Webb's Alegría development in Bernalillo, close to Río Rancho.
IMO Alegria and Jubilee are the best of the active adult communities in the ABQ area. Use the search function for Alegria in this forum as well as the general New Mexico forum. There are several threads about Alegria in the two forums that contain quite a bit of info, including some comments I posted comparing Alegria and Jubilee.

Housing costs in both communities may be higher than the typical place in ABQ, but you also get more amenities there (clubhouse, organized group activities you can participate in, etc.). And there are a number of different models to chose from in each place, with the smaller ones less costly. See Del Webb at Alegria | Active Adult Community Bernalillo NM | Del Webb homes for a listing and prices of the Alegria models; the cheapest - about 1400 sq ft in size - is listed at just under $225,000. Also see Home Page for more info about Alegria. See Jubilee Los Lunas for the Jubilee models, which start at just under $165,000. You can also explore other pages on the Jubilee website for more info on that community. Both communities also have HOA fees. Not sure what Jubilee's are running but Alegria's are currently $115/month.

We're having a place built in Alegria. Think it's better than Jubilee for a number of reasons, but you should visit both and talk to the residents as well as the sales staff to form your own opinion.

Still working now but will slide into retirement here in ABQ, after looking across the country at a bunch of places. So far we've found local medical care to be good. Think it depends on how diligent you are in searching for the right providers and, of course, who your insurance will cover. We went with Presbyterian and are very happy with our choice.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:54 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,991 times
When you compare costs you need to also look at things like property and sales tax, and home and car insurance. Don't know what WA property and sales tax run, but this should be part of your comparison as well. Sounds like you've already thought of this.

Our insurance rates here are the lowest of anyplace we've lived (which has also included AK, CA and KY). Of course we're older which drops our car insurance rates and we now have car insurance through the AARP provider, which is the lowest we could find. But even so, comparing apples to apples between KY and NM, our car insurance rates are lower here. Home insurance is also much lower. And of course the general cost of living is low in NM compared to most other places.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:54 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Just a note on real estate in Albuquerque from RealtyTimes.com (Judy Pierson, Pierson & Associates, May 20, 2010):

"This market is on fire. Whether it's the Tax Credit or pent up buying, things have certainly been moving. The Metro Area has seen 2 consecutive months of pending sales being 50% to 90% higher than the same month last year. In Rio Rancho the pending sales are at 98% of last year. Nearly double, WOW. And the UNM area (around the University) the pending sales were at 170% to last year and the closed sales were 211%. I think we can say that the worst is behind us now ..." MORE HERE

Old 07-23-2010, 07:06 PM

69 posts, read 163,503 times
What areas of Albuquerque are the best to live in in the $400K range for housing? I have heard great things about Del Webb's Alegria. Anyone living there, please comment and give me your thoughts. As far as medical facilities, would rather live in New Mexico and not Texas or Arizona. I would think that there are some good facilities in NM for health.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:00 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,743,295 times
For $400k you can pretty much live in area of Albuquerque. Depends on your needs. Schools? Location? Activities?

Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebone View Post
What areas of Albuquerque are the best to live in in the $400K range for housing? I have heard great things about Del Webb's Alegria. Anyone living there, please comment and give me your thoughts. As far as medical facilities, would rather live in New Mexico and not Texas or Arizona. I would think that there are some good facilities in NM for health.
There are a few people who have commented on Alegria, here are just two, there are more, search for the word Alegria in "search this forum" from here: //www.city-data.com/forum/albuquerque/

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...o-we-made.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...ernalillo.html

It is actually in the town of Bernallilo. I live about three miles away.

That area, the ABQ area in my opinion has the best medical facilities in New Mexico, however New Mexico as a whole does not seem to rate that well, that is just my opinion, but if you have special medical needs you might want to find out if it will be a problem.

Rich

Old 07-23-2010, 08:58 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,687,319 times
Quote:
What areas of Albuquerque are the best to live in in the $400K range for housing?
It really depends on what you're looking for in a neighborhood. The North Valley has some nice neighborhoods, is more centrally located, and lush compared to other areas of the city. You could live in a foothills neighborhood such as High Desert, Glenwood Hills, or possibly Sandia Heights if you want to be right next to hiking and mountains. These areas also offer million dollar views. There are nice neighborhoods in most parts of the city.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:33 PM

69 posts, read 163,503 times
Default More help needed

Thanks to everyone who has answered my queries as I really appreciate your help.

I am also wondering about where Alegria is located near Bernalillo. My friends in Rio Rancho say that the Del Webb community is too close to Bernalillo which has alot of crime but people at Alegria say that is not true and that the community has had no crime problems. In fact, it seems that Alegria is on the northern edge of Rio Rancho. Any feedback on this situation is appreciated as I need the input. Is Bernalillo that high in crime or are my friends wrong??

My relatives have lived in the Matthew Meadows area in Albuquerque for 20 years and until recently, had very little crime problems but in the last year or two have seen more break-ins. Too bad since I love that area.

I will be in the Albuquerque area again in the fall to look at more real estate with my agent and hope to move in the area next spring if I can sell my home here in California.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CAN HELP ME!!!!!!!! Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 07-24-2010, 02:59 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
I am also wondering about where Alegria is located near Bernalillo. My friends in Rio Rancho say that the Del Webb community is too close to Bernalillo which has alot of crime but people at Alegria say that is not true and that the community has had no crime problems. In fact, it seems that Alegria is on the northern edge of Rio Rancho. Any feedback on this situation is appreciated as I need the input. Is Bernalillo that high in crime or are my friends wrong??
FACT: Alegria is located within the city limits of Bernalillo.

Alegria is on the West side of the city limits of Bernalillo.

Alegria is on the West side of the Rio Grande.

Alegria is on the East side of Highway 528. Rio Rancho is on the West side of Highway 528, across the street from Alegria. Perhaps your friends don't know where Alegria is. Alegria is also just South of the New Wal-mart, Burger King, McDonalds, Perfect Teeth etc on Highway 528 (Which are also within the city limits of Bernalillo.).

I have not heard of any crime occurring in Alegria. I have lived a few miles from the area longer than Alegria has existed. It used to Price's Dairy from the 1930's until the late 90's. I moved to that area in 1998.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque