Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:36 AM

41,990 posts, read 75,271,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I like to drink. It's nice.
There you have it, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
I drink for the buzz. It alters reality for the better and makes me feel good. My default combo for a night of getting high is a bottle of wine and 4-6 cans of beer or cider.
wow, I would be so sick if I drank that much and I love my wine. To me, a evening is a couple of glasses of wine, sometimes three or four. On weekends I might start with a martini or a vodka tonic. of course my glass of wine is a quart sized pitcher (only kidding). I don't drink to get high, in fact I hate it when I do. I just drink out of habit more than anything I think. Regardless I hope I never have to give it up....

Old 07-23-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Alcohol is the only drug, which is legal across the board. Legal around the world and, drinking alcohol is socially acceptable. Therefore, people abuse it. Its ok to be labeled an "alcoholic." It is not ok to be labeled a heroin addict.

Alcohol is the most destructive drug known to mankind and its going to bring down this society. People drink it to access, because it is acceptable to drink it.
I totally disagree with everything you are saying except the legal part. People do not all abuse it: most people who enjoy a drink every so often or daily do not abuse it. It is never ok to be labeled an alcoholic, anymore than any other drug label. Of course it is distructive, but so are most drugs. Anything is distructive if abused. Too much water isn't always good for us either, but you don't see people questioning that do you? I just don't get why you feel this way.

Nita

Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizcharlene View Post
It all starts in their college years when they get cut into the "work hard, play hard" mentality, and roommates take turns being the one that blackuts out. They decide ahead of time who will be taking care of who on what day of the week. So why do people drink so much? Peer pressure. They think it's normal. Just because.
man are you showing your age or am I showing mine? We didn't drink hardly at all in college. We did a little. I started at the University of Colo where 2/3 beer was legal at 18. yes, we drank a lot of it but it would take a lot to get anyone drunk, especially when we danced the nights away. On rare occassions we drank at frat parties, other than that we just didn't. Later I transferred to San Diego State UN, we couldn't drink anything legally in Ca if we were under 21 and we didn't very often. Oh, we might split a 6 pk, 4 ways or occasionally wander across the boreder to TJ where we could drink, but we didn't drink like you are talking about. I think my kids did though, infact I know they did.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,549,412 times
Quote:
Alcohol is the only drug, which is legal across the board. Legal around the world and, drinking alcohol is socially acceptable. Therefore, people abuse it. Its ok to be labeled an "alcoholic." It is not ok to be labeled a heroin addict.

Alcohol is the most destructive drug known to mankind and its going to bring down this society. People drink it to access, because it is acceptable to drink it.
First I think you mean excess

And yes, some do, but not because it is illegal. They will make it in their bathtub if they have to. Others take a much more destructive path and smoke crack and other drugs that take much less time to destroy heath and life.

Pay attention to history and see how prohibition was a total failure.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:16 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,954,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, I would be so sick if I drank that much and I love my wine. To me, a evening is a couple of glasses of wine, sometimes three or four. On weekends I might start with a martini or a vodka tonic. of course my glass of wine is a quart sized pitcher (only kidding). I don't drink to get high, in fact I hate it when I do. I just drink out of habit more than anything I think. Regardless I hope I never have to give it up....
The only I reason I drink is to get high, that's the whole point! I drink sweet sparkling wine mostly which is basically like drinking a soft drink. Also drink Apple cider, again like a soft drink. If I want to stay sober I just get a fanta or something no point forking out the cash for booze if I'm not gonna alter the fabric of space time

Old 07-24-2012, 07:55 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,500,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Pay attention to history and see how prohibition was a total failure.
Your right ... prohibition was a total failure ...
because God Our Holy Father was not behind
that man made law, which was a total
abomination and blaspheme ! ! !

Prohibition was a deception, and work of the devil ! ! !

Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I drink to take the pain away.
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man

Old 08-04-2012, 01:34 PM

4,146 posts, read 2,844,211 times
Quote:

Quote:
Ok. So how many of you also just love this great beer? When I speak about it to most people, I get the, "Huh? What are you talking about?" look...

Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,211,282 times
...because people generally drink heavier when they are single...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages