Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Jaggermiester. Who drinks that stuff? Tasted like nasty Nyquil to me.
They give it to you in Germany following your meal to aid digestion.
Personally I prefer it in the form of liquid cocaine, mixed with Goldschlager. num num.

Worst drink? A negroni. BARF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times
I was going to say a Sazerac in NO, but then I remembered the "wine" and "spirits" that I (tried to ) drink in China.
Good Lord A'mighty!!
The wine was like water (reverse Jesus?) and the brandy?? smelled and tasted like shellac if you tried to drink it.
AWFUL beyond your wildest dreams.
So bad, in fact, that after pouring most of it down the drain, I saved a small amount in a little plastic travel bottle to bring home. Just the smell frightened me - and my sister would not touch it.
I often thought that we should send all the alchoholics there - that'll cure em!

China may be advancing into the modern world by leaps and bounds, but when it comes to liquor they are in the dark ages.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBookworm View Post
Grappa. I don't know why a brandy made from fermented grape skins would remind me of ligher fluid, but every time I taste it (3 times) that is the first last and only taste impression I get. I tried a local port that was fortified with grappa last week and, sure enough, the lighter fluid came through loud and clear.

There is a local "high gravity lager" called Axe Head that was the worst beer I've ever tasted. I had to add lemon juice just to be able to get it down (I subscribe to the Irish legend that when you die, you're suspended in a barrel with then all of the beer you ever wasted is poured in. If you drown, off to Hell with you)
Axe Head is actually quite good. I'm ripping one right now, as a matter of fact. The flavor is a bit sweet and has a slight alcohol flavor. Now if you want to drink something truly disgusting, look no further than brandy.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Steel reserve malt liquor quite some time ago. I was so sick
Lol...Steel Reserve is one of my all-time favorite brews. It's pretty light tasting for a malt, too.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Scotch -- I've tried to like it, but I can't stand the smell or the taste, as someone mentioned earlier, it is an acquired taste. To me it taste like boiled socks.

Jaegermeister - That stuff taste like cough medicine, just awful.
I agree with you about scotch...it's pretty vulgar. I do, however, enjoy Jager. I also love black licorice, though.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
San Francisco alone drinks about 30-40% of the Fernet Branca consumed in the US. It has become a "secret handshake" order to tell bartenders either, you're local, or you work in the hospitality industry. "A shot of Fernet with a ginger ale back" ordered at any bar in the City will not raise an eyebrow. Anywhere else in the country (or pretty much even the Bay Area) people will ask, "what?!?"

My wife thinks it's vile. She has likened it to a mix of Jaegermeister and gasoline. I don't agree. I think it has more kerosene overtones. It's curative powers for digestion and hangovers are legendary, though.

Fernet is a drink you order to cap a long evening out. You won't like it, but you'll feel better in the morning. I call it my "dark mistress".

Old 12-28-2012, 04:20 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

What is the worst drink you have ever had
First thing that comes to mind is a dirty martini. YUUUCKKKK!!!! I imagine that is how dirty dishwater or stagnant water that a homeless bum washed his hands in would taste.

Second, is a tie between Olde English 800 and Killians Red beer.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Goldschlager, jaggermeister and Grappa. All three taste nasty.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:37 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
First thing that comes to mind is a dirty martini. YUUUCKKKK!!!! I imagine that is how dirty dishwater or stagnant water that a homeless bum washed his hands in would taste.

Second, is a tie between Olde English 800 and Killians Red beer.
Dirty Martini's are my husbands favorite. It's just vodka and the juice from the green olives that come in the jar.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:22 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,619 times
Blue Moon and/or Shock Top
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages