Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:12 PM

156 posts, read 440,416 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain to me why so many restaurants neglect to include prices on their cocktail menus? And why aren't these menus given to people (adults 21+) along with the food menu?

And since we're on the topic, does anyone know what the price range is for cocktails at Chili's, T.G.I. Fridays, and Logan's Steakhouse? Obviously this will vary by location, but it shouldn't be that significant. I'm supposed to go out to eat with family this weekend and I'm considering ordering a cocktail, I'm sure I'll need it. I don't really want to go, but they're very insistent on treating me to dinner. I suspect they're just trying to suck up to me so I'll dig all their Christmas decorations out of storage and help put them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 02:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
Can someone please explain to me why so many restaurants neglect to include prices on their cocktail menus? And why aren't these menus given to people (adults 21+) along with the food menu?
There are several reasons for the practice. The biggest is probably the simple fact that they sell more cocktails when prices are not shown.

Other factors are, if the prices are only in their computer they can quickly change prices for them depending on time of day... lunch, happy hour, dinner, late happy hour... or day of week... or for special events or holidays. Also "premium calls" mean that price can vary on cocktails if you call for other than "well" liquors. And I believe in some areas there are still some ancient restrictive laws which prohibit the practice.

There are some things you just can't find out from the internet. Sometimes you just have to pick up the phone and ask.

Or do a test run.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:13 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,731,303 times
usually people dont walk into a bar and decide what they want to drink based on price, many people go to a bar for one reason to get drunk. sure would it be nice and easy if you had the prices listed sure, but i for one dont really consider the price unless its wines, cuz some can be crazy expensive. there are places that are cheaper than others of course, so finding a decent joint to get drunk for cheap is always a nice thing, but usually when you drink out expect to pay a fair amount.

personally when i get drunk out, i usually bring 80 bucks just for booze.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:33 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Which includes the taxi fare for the ride home (AND tip for the driver), I hope.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,886,340 times
Quote:

And since we're on the topic, does anyone know what the price range is for cocktails at Chili's, T.G.I. Fridays, and Logan's Steakhouse? Obviously this will vary by location, but it shouldn't be that significant. I'm supposed to go out to eat with family this weekend and I'm considering ordering a cocktail, I'm sure I'll need it. I don't really want to go, but they're very insistent on treating me to dinner. I suspect they're just trying to suck up to me so I'll dig all their Christmas decorations out of storage and help put them up.
If they're treating you, why do you mind what the cost of your drink is? And, if you're going to somewhere like chili's or TGIF's, they're not going to be that expensive, AND they'll be on the menu.
No worries.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:51 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Quote:

I can only speak for the beer..a 16-20 oz draft of domestic between 3 an 5 bucks, imported and craft, a couple more.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:28 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
usually people dont walk into a bar and decide what they want to drink based on price, many people go to a bar for one reason to get drunk. sure would it be nice and easy if you had the prices listed sure, but i for one dont really consider the price unless its wines, cuz some can be crazy expensive. there are places that are cheaper than others of course, so finding a decent joint to get drunk for cheap is always a nice thing, but usually when you drink out expect to pay a fair amount.

that is steep. are you drinking for two?

Old 12-02-2013, 02:34 AM

166 posts, read 321,762 times
I have bartended for many years.

If you have to ask the price.....you can afford the drink.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 PM

144 posts, read 342,297 times
Based on my limited knowledge there are two main factors, at least in how it was explained to me by my former boss: people tend to not care how much a cocktail costs because they have a favorite anyways and they will spend more and second prices will vary by which alcohol is put in it. That might not be the reason but that is how it was explained to me when I was in a training program.

You can budget on $10-12 for a premium label cocktail at most of the chains, that is probably a little bit high.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:45 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,731,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
that is steep. are you drinking for two?
that is all me, shots and beer. ill drink whiskey on rocks, high shelf stuff. i dont do this often, maybe 1-2 times a quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages