Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 05:43 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Most women don't seem to like it much, but kudos to you if you do.

What are we counting as "whiskey" here? Do fireball shots count?
I know just as many women as men who enjoy whiskey.
What makes a drink manly, anyway?

Fireball does NOT count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 05:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Every women I have offered it to except like 1 has found it disgusting. And then there is this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujZDsdTO2DY

EDIT: In their defense, they are drinking Jack daniels
Are the women you know 16?

Old 03-09-2016, 05:51 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
We would seem to be a country of beer drinkers. I know lots of guys who frequently enjoy a beer....which is....I believe....watered down whiskey.

I started drinking the harder liquors once....including whiskey. Got up and collapsed and got injured. Quit that.

Whiskey is probably my favorite hard liquor. A slight buzz is alright, being drunk is bat**** stupid. It is easier to stay in control with lite beer. I am not a "manly drinker."

Old 03-09-2016, 05:56 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
I don't think many people are pounding glasses of whiskey etc. from crystal during or after work everyday like the movies and TV shows always like to portray. Yes, there are people that do it, but most people dont because it is alcoholism or puts you on the path towards it. I mean I'll enjoy a whiskey every now and then, but hardly ever drink it at home. First it is a glass of whiskey to take off the edge. 5 years later you're up to two now. Then a decade later your up to almost half a bottle a day.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:10 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Total market share of alcohol nowadays is roughly: beer 47%, spirits 36%, wine 17%.

I was surprised that wine was not higher, guess I know too many pretentious wine drinkers.

Bourbon is really nice, many people like the smokey flavor. Scotch is nasty, I cannot find anything to mix it with to make it palatable.

Like a couple others said, I'll likely drink more bourbon in the future and less beer for the calories aspect.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:27 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Quote:
lel agreed!

Not sure how someone can have whiskey on the rocks without ice. Perhaps he's using actual rocks? Wasn't that how the original was made hence the name?
Pretty easily done. Whiskey rocks...
Amazon.com: Sipping Stones Whisky Chilling Rocks in Gift Box with Carrying Pouch, Set of 9: Barware Tool Sets: Kitchen & Dining

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I don't think many people are pounding glasses of whiskey etc. from crystal during or after work everyday like the movies and TV shows always like to portray. Yes, there are people that do it, but most people dont because it is alcoholism or puts you on the path towards it. I mean I'll enjoy a whiskey every now and then, but hardly ever drink it at home. First it is a glass of whiskey to take off the edge. 5 years later you're up to two now. Then a decade later your up to almost half a bottle a day.
Nah. Been enjoying a 4-5 evening/wk cocktail hour with my husband for nearly six years. Most often, it's one of his fabulous Manhattans. Great way to end the work day/start the dinner prep, enjoying conversation over a cocktail. We are healthy, slim & fit, non-alcoholics. I have no qualms about drinking a touch of whiskey almost daily.

Last edited by IslandCityGirl; 03-09-2016 at 06:37 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 07:08 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Pretty easily done. Whiskey rocks...
Amazon.com: Sipping Stones Whisky Chilling Rocks in Gift Box with Carrying Pouch, Set of 9: Barware Tool Sets: Kitchen & Dining

Nah. Been enjoying a 4-5 evening/wk cocktail hour with my husband for nearly six years. Most often, it's one of his fabulous Manhattans. Great way to end the work day/start the dinner prep, enjoying conversation over a cocktail. We are healthy, slim & fit, non-alcoholics. I have no qualms about drinking a touch of whiskey almost daily.
Alcoholic or not, this is a great way to destroy your live in the long term.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:33 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Quote:
Alcoholic or not, this is a great way to destroy your live in the long term.
Um, no. People who drink to get drunk, and/or drink multiple units in a day are at risk for health problems. Having 4-5 units of alcohol per week, at one unit per day, is pretty dang healthy, thanks very much. Do you even understand the health guidelines and recommendations? Or how our bodies process alcohol? Or what science has to say at all? I guess not... Way to make a judgement on something that you don't understand at all. And it's interesting that you'll pick on me, but not others who claim a daily drink on this very thread.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-t...nit-guidelines
http://www.drinkinmoderation.org/wp-...ep-24-2012.pdf

In fact...
Best News Ever: One Drink a Day Is Better Than None - The Daily Beast
Alcohol use: If you drink, keep it moderate - Mayo Clinic
A drink a day linked to healthy aging - CNN.com

I'll add that my husband's grandparents, lucid and healthy into their NINETIES, shared the same, incredibly lovely ritual. No one enjoyed whiskey like my grandma-in-law. LOL.

And don't forget that a glass of wine with lunch AND dinner (again 1 unit of alcohol per glass) is common in several European cultures. Ever heard of the "French Paradox?" Guess not... I'll give you the synopsis: some of the healthiest people, with the longest life expectancies, drink a glass or two of wine, EVERY DAY. Many of them start drinking wine mixed with water at meals before their age is even in the double digits.

Last edited by IslandCityGirl; 03-09-2016 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 08:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Thumbs up How many men actually drink whiskey?

<raises hand>

Old 03-09-2016, 08:47 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Not a whiskey drinker, but I've also never really tried to get into any good whiskey.

I do LOVE a good bourbon barrel-aged stout though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages