Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:48 PM

243 posts, read 230,396 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. I'm asking about the real thing, not the Czech Republic fake stuff, but the French and Swiss made absinthes prepared in the traditional way. I found I really enjoy it a lot after dispensing with all the false myths surrounding it. I found it's just a good drink properly prepared, and properly does not include lighting a sugar cube on fire over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 02:01 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
That's the stuff, preferrably from Holland, where you take one sip and then pass out because it is so freakin strong??

Drank it back in the day a few times, I think it was mostly a dare or bet situation where you had to proof that you have balls.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:03 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
I think so, but the memory is rather blurry.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:20 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Do you still have both of your ears? ;-) So what do you mean by fake stuff?
There seems to be a lot of variety but I'm not fond of the anise flavor. I like growing wormwood better.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That's the stuff, preferrably from Holland, where you take one sip and then pass out because it is so freakin strong??

Drank it back in the day a few times, I think it was mostly a dare or bet situation where you had to proof that you have balls.
No, it's not like that at all. I was afraid of such responses. Unfortunately such views are all too common, and completely uninformed.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Do you still have both of your ears? ;-) So what do you mean by fake stuff?
There seems to be a lot of variety but I'm not fond of the anise flavor. I like growing wormwood better.

Yes, to indulge you, I do still have both my ears, and it wasn't absinthe that caused Van Gogh to do that, he had a plethora of other issues that led him to do that, one being his infatuation with a prostitute. The fake stuff I referred to is what has been produced in the Czech Republic in an effort to capitalize on the name absinthe in a desperate economy, and amounts to infused vodka with food coloring added and labeled "absinthe" when it's nowhere near absinthe. These include the so-called "Bohemian" absinthes.

It was the Czechs who, back in the 90's, invented the gimmick of lighting the sugar cube on fire over the glass to distract the customer from the fact that it could not louche because it's not absinthe, and the gimmick caught on big, sadly. To do that with real absinthe just ruins the taste of it. Today the only real absinthe produced the the Czech Republic is from the Zufanek distillery. All the others are fakes.

Not all absinthe is anise dominant, you can shop around for the right herbal balance and some are really delightful. It depends on what distiller they come from and their specific herbal blend, but the three mandatory herbs are grand wormwood (artemesia absinthium) fennel, and green anise. Other herbs commonly used are hyssop, lemon balm, melissa, petite (Roman) wormwood, star anise, coriander, angelica and others.

You will NOT hallucinate with absinthe, cut off your ear, or go insane, but sadly most people still believe that rubbish, because of the effective smear campaign against it by the French wine industry 100 years ago. I did my homework on it, being curious about it, and came away with a great appreciation for the tradition, culture, and ritual around it. I also ended up with a new favorite drink, which I enjoy greatly.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
I've had the Vilya Spirits brand from Kalispell, Montana. It's rather pleasant. I know that they ship to other states so you can find online retailers.

vilya

Old 04-28-2016, 10:32 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
I like it but I like anything licorice flavored. I usually mix it in one of the original cocktails, the sazarac. It's a bit too intense straight for me but I haven't tried that many brands. Just the St George's version which is very good and also comes in a 200 ml bottle which is a good value since I don't use much.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:54 PM

104 posts, read 93,151 times
Been wanting to try it. But my budget is low. The cheapest I can find it around 40-50 bucks. I will try a whole bunch of different booze for around that price. But I'm not a fan of paying that much for one bottle of alcohol. I might take the plunge when my next pay check arrives. I'm sure it's high quality. I actually want it to make me hallucinate. If I knew a bottle was guaranteed to make me hallucinate then I'd buy it. I heard the hallucinations in the 19th century absinthe came from the weird added ingredients the shadier producers put in it. Maybe I'll buy absinthe and see if I can mix it with something.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've had the Vilya Spirits brand from Kalispell, Montana. It's rather pleasant. I know that they ship to other states so you can find online retailers.

vilya
Thank you! I've heard that's a very good absinthe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages