Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:22 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,446 times

Advertisements

Its almost my turn to host the tasting for my wine group and I'm looking for theme ideas; some common "thing" that links the wines we're going to taste. Some past ones have been "The Noble Grapes", "Wines for the Porch"," Old world v. New World styles", "It doesn't have to be expensive to be good" ( all wines were under 12 bucks)....and several countries in general terms- Italy, Chile, Australia to name a few.
Its a casual group, more about trying new wines and enjoying the company of friends than about technical/analytical tasting, though that comes up on occasion, too.

We usually have 6-8 wines in a price range up to $35 retail, the group age is between 35 and 80, and we meet at the local community clubhouse, working with a distributor so we do have a pretty wide range of options available.

Any fun "tasting theme" ideas out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 10:21 AM

483 posts, read 418,557 times
Do an international theme with food pairings???
Like lil tapas type style???

Or do that with music?? Music n wine???
Wine origin's music piece.. be interesting.
Seen that done and the décor is cool.

Or a wine theme Christmas ornament exchange??

Old 11-07-2016, 10:36 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
could do "vinyards of Washington state" or "vinyards of Virginia" -- or any other state that interests you and have a sampling of the wines from that state.

Could do a "Dry but not dusty" sampling of Cabernet Savignons.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:10 PM

grampa Tom, I like the idea of offering wines from places "other than CA", but doggone it, none of the distributors that I can use carry the "better" wines from VA, NC, NY, et al. I think it would be a fun idea- if you know where I can get some NC or VA wines in particular, that aren't sweet, please share your source!

I like the musical pairing idea...romaneats- I don't know if there is a sound system in the club room, but that would spiff things up some. Thanks

Old 11-07-2016, 12:10 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,741 times
Fun! I love wine-tasting parties!

Agreeing with others, you can pretty much continue to choose a grape, a region, or both, as your theme, endlessly. You'll never run out of new options, simply by spinning that wheel. The varietals and regions are pretty much endless. If you wanted to venture into something more playful, you could choose a food pairing or specific occasion theme.

My latest wine party featured a specific winery. A slew of varieties (several blends, a viognier, chardonnay, Malbec, Syrah... so across the board) from the same winemaker. It was a fun way to feature a very specific region, style, and vintner.

Other, specific ideas:

The Pinot Noir grape: you can feature anything from a French Burgundy to the famous Willamette Valley, Oregon wines. If you feature both, it opens the door for a very specific, new v old world comparison, as you mentioned.

South Africa: It's having a moment in wine right now. Look for wines from the Swartland region. Some fun varieties across the board: white, rosé, red, sparkling. You could narrow it down to one variety from that region, for more direct comparisons. (Say, South African sparkling wine - fun to feature bubbles around the holidays too! With the sparklings, you could go with a classic Christmas party theme or a pre-New-Year celebration theme, in prep for the holidays.)

Tempranillos of Spain: See if you can samples from several different wine regions throughout the country. (This would obviously fit right in with Romaneats' tapas idea, as well.)

"Battle of the off-dry whites" (think Thanksgiving's classic Gwertzameiner, Viognier, Riesling... Kind of fun b/c it has the potential of the holiday theme, as well.). The same wines could be re-themed as wines that go with spicy food, if that sounds more fun. Fix a few Thai-style appetizers with some heat and enjoy the pairings! Or just say, bring your perfect Thanksgiving wine, whatever that might be, and compare. That same theme could be carried over to pairing wine with chocolate, or wines that pair perfectly with steak, or pick a Christmas-style dish as your center theme: "wines to drink with your Christmas roast", etc., etc.

Go Local: Pretty much every state in the U.S. is producing wine on some level, today. Pick from a sample of nearby wineries to compare.

"Weird Grapes": I'm a wine nerd, and there are still plenty of varietals out there that are new to me! Everyone will try something new and your distributor will probably enjoy the exciting request. Some "weird" ones that I'm new to: Ribolla Gialla, NĂ©grette, Blaufrankish... LOL. Seriously though, it would be fun to try a bunch of varietals that no one has heard of yet.

So many options... Have fun!

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
grampa Tom, I like the idea of offering wines from places "other than CA", but doggone it, none of the distributors that I can use carry the "better" wines from VA, NC, NY, et al. I think it would be a fun idea- if you know where I can get some NC or VA wines in particular, that aren't sweet, please share your source!

I like the musical pairing idea...romaneats- I don't know if there is a sound system in the club room, but that would spiff things up some. Thanks
busy, you might try ordering directly from the winemakers. As long as wine-shipping is allowed in your state, you should be able to do some online research and order directly from them. That would be a fun/easy way to go with the single-winery theme. Order a case from one winemaker, containing several varieties.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:54 PM

Well that is quite an array of ideas Island City Girl- thanks!
Those who suggested food to go with the wine- thanks so much! Unfortunately, we don't offer food other than palate cleansing items like cheese and crackers and or fruit or maybe some cut veggies because our budget is very tight and because our club can't allow us to bring in food from outside. We are very limited- but its more about the fun than the food, anyway, so it seems to suit everyone.

ICG- I LOVE the idea of weird grapes, but finding them where we live is very very difficult-just finding the 100% varietal for the Nobel Grapes was a nightmare!!!

Old 11-07-2016, 04:17 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
I did a "wine swap" with 2 other couples once that was great fun. The criteria/"rules" were that each couple brought 3 bottles of the same wine that was under $15.00 in retail value. We opened one bottle and imbibed. Then other each couple took a bottle home. Personally I think it's easy to find a good expensive bottle of wine but it's a nice challenge to find one that is very affordable.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:52 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
For something different, how about an all-meritage tasting?

Old 11-07-2016, 08:17 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
It's been suggested already but my sister (assistant winemaker in CA) once attended a very non-traditional wine region party. As in not Napa, Sonoma, Columbia or Willamette Valleys, Burgundy or Barossa or Rhone, etc. She said it was fascinating, but it largely depends on what you may have available. AVAs in Michigan, Missouri, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and Virginia, for example. Even the Dahlonega area north of Atlanta or the coast of Rhode Island and Connecticut. It is challenging, however, since outside of NY, CA, OR and WA most wines stay inside their state. If you live in a state that allows it (I don't, but after tomorrow's election that may change) on-line, as mentioned above, may be helpful.

I'll also second the idea of unusual varietals. The stuff that's hard to find, such as tannat, rkatseteli, aglianico, cynthiana, hybrids, meads, unusual fruit wines or even muscadine, all available in the east.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 11-07-2016 at 08:51 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 12:51 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
If you want to take the easier procurement route than unusual or hard-to-find wines you can go back to broader themes. Music was mentioned. How about fiction? Take a popular film or book and ask, Which would each of these characters enjoy? Divvy up the characters and expect each person to explain their choice.

Would have to be a commonly known work.

"Wizard of Oz"
"Gone With The Wind"
"The Graduate" for an unusual choice
A comic book like Justice League of America
Rebel Without A Cause with the main characters grown up

A lot of literature is well-known only for main characters so using books and plays depends on the participants. Unless you just allow Cliff's Notes and let folks explain at the party. If so, Jane Austen and Shakespeare. Even Stephen King, Bram Stoker, etc. for horror. By that token, you could use the board game Clue and make it a costume party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages