Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 08:05 PM

9 posts, read 6,907 times

Advertisements

Someone pointed out that there are warning labels on alcohol, but it's also been around long enough and killed enough people that it should be pretty obvious at this point. As to why it's not front and center, well that may be because it's a massive industry that generates tons and tons of revenue and they likely put plenty of money, lobbying, & advertising behind their product so that it's not the largest thing on a bottle or the thing the public hears about the most. Public safety and awareness campaigns may save lives, but they don't make money. It's also addictive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 04:59 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Alcohol is deadly only if it's abused. There are plenty of warnings out there about alcohol abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I think its about time we target alcohol with the same aggressiveness that we target opioids!
Have you and the OP been asleep for the past 35 years? You've missed every state in the union raising the legal drinking age, lowering legal blood alcohol limits for driving, MADD, countless DUI warnings on TV, radio and in print, DUI checkpoints, etc. etc. etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Have the warnings had any affect at all on changing behaviors?
I can only speak for myself, but I quit drinking and driving a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats all well and good, but they never targeted ACCESS/AVAILABILITY...normally with products that have the potential for addiction or are dangerous in some way, 'access' to them is heavily restricted and regulated...'Mini thins' are a great example of this
I'm sure they are, but that's not what this thread is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Isn't there a recent promotion about buzzed driving is drunk driving
Yes, there has been and it was everywhere.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:14 AM

1,159 posts, read 620,298 times
What's really interesting and kind of ironic is that somehow alcohol is more accepted in society and yet it does more damage than drugs like heroin. Alcohol withdrawal can Kill you. Heroin withdrawal cannot Kill you.
Yet like the op said, there just isn't enough warnings and seriousness taken. Government honestly should raise drinking age to 25 since the brain doesn't stop developing until 25. Your Brain isn't even fully developed yet you're Killing it at 21 with alcohol.....

Old 11-15-2019, 09:22 AM

1,159 posts, read 620,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Gotta ask OP...have you been living under a rock for the last 30 years or something? Warnings about alcohol have been incorporated into societal health information for so long it is common knowledge. Anyone who doesn't know about this has chosen NOT to.
I have to agree with you. I'll add that there have been countless studies and articles expressing the dangers and seriousness. Also, I recently read an article about how people in Italy are saying it's actually not healthy for them to be drinking as much as they do.
Here is something:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...-by-30-minutes

Old 11-15-2019, 09:54 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Maybe a better question might be, considering that the public has been completely saturated with warnings about excessive alcohol use, and the dangers of drinking and driving, why do we still do it? Have the warnings had any affect at all on changing behaviors?
Yes, they have had an impact on changing behavior. https://www.responsibility.org/alcoh...ty-statistics/

Drunk driving fatalities have decreased by 48% since 1982, while overall traffic fatalities are down 16%.

Yes, there are still too many people driving drunk. It is clear though that messaging on the dangers of drunk driving, as well as stricter laws have clearly impacted behavior. We obviously need to keep it up.

I will add that I myself am a beer drinker, but I would never get behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:43 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Why Are there so Few Warnings About the Deadliness of Alcohol?

https://talbottcampus.com/alcoholism-statistics/
Why are there no warning about the deadliness of driving on a freeway with a car in front, either side and behind you going 70 mph, with at least one or two of your adjacent drivers texting and all carrying at least 10 gallons of highly inflammable gasoline.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 645 times
There absolutely should be more warnings, not only bottles. Alcohol is so dangerous. W hy nobody understands it?
I have read here [url=http://medicinas-naturales.org/what-is-the-danger-of-alcohol-in-old-age/]What is the danger of alcohol in old age? – Medical portal[/url] that even more dangerous to elder people than teenagers

Old 11-22-2019, 09:16 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almos Inzjap View Post
There absolutely should be more warnings, not only bottles. Alcohol is so dangerous. W hy nobody understands it?
I have read here What is the danger of alcohol in old age? – Medical portal that even more dangerous to elder people than teenagers

Nonsense.
Humans have been drinking alcohol for thousands of years.Considering how many of them drink it regularly and how few of them have a problem with it booze is one of the safest stimulants around.
You'd have to be a stone cold idiot not to know what happens if you drink too much.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:17 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Why are there no warning about the deadliness of driving on a freeway with a car in front, either side and behind you going 70 mph, with at least one or two of your adjacent drivers texting and all carrying at least 10 gallons of highly inflammable gasoline.

Exactly.
Leave us topers in peace.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:06 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Why Are there so Few Warnings About the Deadliness of Alcohol?

https://talbottcampus.com/alcoholism-statistics/
There are warnings. This sub-forum is about the enjoyment of strong drink, not it's dangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages