Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:02 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times

Advertisements

I've never been a drinker beyond a shandy on a hot day or a glass of wine on a night out. But when I heard tonic water helped fight or prevent Covid-19 I thought I'd try gin and tonic. I like it!

I mix one part gin to two parts tonic. Regular tonic water is just too sweet for me so I tried something a bit more expensive but drier - Q. Then I might squeeze half a fresh lemon or lime. The other day all I had was frozen orange mango concentrate so stirred in a spoonful. Very tasty!

Perhaps my improvising is blasphemy to hard core drinkers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 07:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Nothing wrong with customizing a drink to your taste.

Gin and tonic is a favorite of mine during the hot months. I'm not real precise in how I put 'em together. I get a glass with a few ice cubes, eyeball a shot or so of gin and then add the tonic to what looks to be the right level. Squeeze the juice of a 1/4 lime into it, dump the rind into the glass and it's ready.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:05 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
I drink a lot of gin & tonics. A. Lot. For medicinal purposes only .

First, once you start adding mango and whatnot, it's no longer a gin & tonic. It's not blasphemy, and I play around with drinks all the time, but it's not a G&T any more.

I love to squeeze a fresh lime into it. 1/4, 1/2, whatever makes you happy. And drop the squeezed lime in afterwards.

I often use Q. Also a fan of Fever Tree. Agree, regular tonic (eg, Schweppes) is too sweet. The mainstream tonic companies use sugar. Q uses agave, less sweet.

The gin matters also. Some gins are better for G&T (in my deranged mind). Typically, you want a drier gin, since you have the citrusy (sp?) flavor of G&T. The heavy oakey gins don't work. Try Plymouth, it's a lighter gin (less junipery), and IMHO the best for a G&T. Also Hendrick's is a fave, it has a unique flavor. Tanqueray & Bombay are old standbys.

I also love gin with grapefruit juice. Very simple, yet amazingly refreshing drink: 1/2 gin, 1/2 FRESH grapefruit juice, with 1/2 a lime squeezed in. Try it, you'll love it.

Enjoy!!

Old 06-06-2020, 07:06 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Put me down for a squeeze of lime, too. I like Schweppes tonic the best.

I’ll definitely try the grapefruit.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:11 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
The grapefruit juice sounds good. Thanks for the gin recommendations. I just bought whatever was cheapest since I was clueless. I am willing to pay more for something better. Looking forward to experimenting!

Old 06-06-2020, 07:14 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
I always added a dash of Bitters to mine.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-06-2020, 09:40 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I always added a dash of Bitters to mine.

Regards
Gemstone1
Interesting. I'll try it next time.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:24 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Vodka and tonic, please.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I've never been a drinker beyond a shandy on a hot day or a glass of wine on a night out. But when I heard tonic water helped fight or prevent Covid-19 I thought I'd try gin and tonic. I like it!

I mix one part gin to two parts tonic. Regular tonic water is just too sweet for me so I tried something a bit more expensive but drier - Q. Then I might squeeze half a fresh lemon or lime. The other day all I had was frozen orange mango concentrate so stirred in a spoonful. Very tasty!

Perhaps my improvising is blasphemy to hard core drinkers!
I like the various tonic syrups and make my soda water in my soda stream! Then I can control the sweetness. And have a little less waste.

Also the Jack Ruby elderflower tonic syrup is delicious in a G&T with the right gin.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

I also love gin with grapefruit juice. Very simple, yet amazingly refreshing drink: 1/2 gin, 1/2 FRESH grapefruit juice, with 1/2 a lime squeezed in. Try it, you'll love it.

Enjoy!!
I love this too! I also did gin + soda + grapefruit liqueur. Same idea, different execution!

I got some Aviation gin, and I think it should be great in a G&T. I also love St. George's, most of them, in a G&T as well. The botanivore works especially well with elderflower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages