Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:15 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned that they didn't know any cocktails with scotch - here's a start:

Black Jack - cocktail.com (http://www.cocktail.com/recipes/b/BlackJack.htm - broken link)

If the goal is to keep from getting hung over, don't drink low-end stuff (esp. the spirits). I never got a headache from drinking margaritas all night long, as long as it was made from good tequila. A few shots of cheap tequila, and surefire headache next day for me.

Since you're a guy, I would make sure to ask for a drink that doesn't have an umbrella in it or chunks of fruit dangling off the side. Another tip - if they bring you a flaming cocktail - first blow out the flame, then drink.

If you don't want to revisit dinner, make sure not to drink beer as a chaser. Yes I know someone who stupidly did this. No it was not me. Bad night....but I digress. I would also advise not to drink all sorts of different drinks all night unless you know what you can handle. Probably better to stick to one type of drink than to try to plow through the bartender's entire repertoire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 12:01 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,973 times
"Guys" can order any of the above. "Men" drink liquor straight or with water.

Mixing liquour with sodas or sugar-fillled mixes, hang-over city.

Single malt scotch with water is you're best bet. Acquire the taste.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:51 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,607,237 times
stay away from anything sweet,and the best thing too drink the next day if you have a hangover is ice cold clubsoda and eat some real greasy Mexican food

Old 12-10-2008, 11:06 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
To avoid a hangover, you're better off staying with vodka and avoiding a lot of mixers with the sugars etc. The lesson with any drink though is to pace yourself, but vodka gives the least hangover per unit of alcohol.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:16 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
No need to stress over this. If you are going to drink a liquor drink, no more than 2. Beer you can probably have 4. End of story. It really is that simple.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:36 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Like I said in another post, scotch and water on the rocks..never a hangover. The most important thing is never mix what you are drinking- stick to one type of liquor at a time. Never drink cheap booze.
The worst hangovers I've ever gotten have been from wine, so go easy on that.

If you are young, listen to what some of the posters have said. Save yourself a lot of grief and only drink in moderation.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:36 PM

158 posts, read 379,365 times
I think moderation is key.

My boyfriend really likes Kamikaze's when he's not drinking beer: Triple Sec, Vodka, Lime Juice,1 wedge Lime
He'll also drink Jager Bombs- (Jager & Redbull)

Some of my favorites:
Amaretto Stone Sours- Amaretto, Orange Juice, sour mix
Vodka & Cranberry, Vodka & Redbull, Strawberry Daquari's etc.

If you alternate a drink with a glass of water that might be a good way to keep yourself paced and also to avoid a hangover.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:05 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Someone mentioned that they didn't know any cocktails with scotch - here's a start:

Black Jack - cocktail.com

If the goal is to keep from getting hung over, don't drink low-end stuff (esp. the spirits). I never got a headache from drinking margaritas all night long, as long as it was made from good tequila. A few shots of cheap tequila, and surefire headache next day for me.

Since you're a guy, I would make sure to ask for a drink that doesn't have an umbrella in it or chunks of fruit dangling off the side. Another tip - if they bring you a flaming cocktail - first blow out the flame, then drink.

If you don't want to revisit dinner, make sure not to drink beer as a chaser. Yes I know someone who stupidly did this. No it was not me. Bad night....but I digress. I would also advise not to drink all sorts of different drinks all night unless you know what you can handle. Probably better to stick to one type of drink than to try to plow through the bartender's entire repertoire.

Rusty Nail-scotch and Drambuie
Godfather-scotch and amaretto

Don't order your drink as just booze type you will get the cheap stuff from the speed rack.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:09 PM

890 posts, read 2,280,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose125 View Post
I think moderation is key.

Amaretto Stone Sours- Amaretto, Orange Juice, sour mix
Oh yumm! Amaretto Sours are my favorite, I have never thought to add orange juice though!

The only thing that comes to mind when I think of a 'guy drink' is a glass of nice bourbon/whiskey or beer, though I know a lot of girls who drink beer too. As long as you stay away from most of the really girly mixed drinks, like a Sex on the Beach or Fuzzy Nipple or something, you won't get laughed out of the bar. I highly recommend making them at home though, girly or not they are delicious!

Most people have a harder time with hangovers when they drink certain types of alcohol. Wine always makes me feel crappy the next day, even though it's the best kind of drunk You will just have to experiment and see what sits well with you personally.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:04 PM

223 posts, read 246,576 times
Good stuff here. I think that if you really want to know your stuff then you should try many things from a style you like, ie whisky, tequila, wines, beers, etc.. And once you are in that style and have tried a few thing go for the "benchmark style." Meaning that to really appreciate anything means you have to have some basis for comparison. That is why you should get the best drink you can buy, within reason. And that doesn't always mean the more expensive the better.

Personally I love whiskey and especially Scotch. I knew Makers Mark, Jack Daniels and Johnnie Walker but I then found out Elijah Craig 12 year old, Evan Williams single barrel, Laphroaig 10 cask strength and Sheep Dip 1990. And those ones were just a major step up for me.

It's like climbing a ladder o the top. You just want to see whats up there. Some people like to hang out on the bottom rungs, while others climb to the top shelf stuff. Whatever you like is what matters. For me, I like the adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages