Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 12:29 PM

10,226 posts, read 6,312,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Buy sunblocks from a natural health store...don't use commercial sunblocks as they are loaded with chemcials and lord knows what they do to our skin. You can find many natural sunblocks at online supplement stores too. Could be sunblocks are causing skin cancers also. Just thinking.
I lived in SW Florida for 10 years. What kind of Sunblock do you use was a question on my Employee Wellness Questionnaire. I wrote, "A roof and 4 walls". Ran back and forth from my car from work and shopping. NEVER went to the beach while living in Florida, and spent as little time outside as possible. Summers? Do you outside chores and activities as early as possible in the mornings before the blazing sun and heat. Cover yourself up when going outside. Heard that all the time from Cuban and Haitian immigrants.

Word to the wise from a former Florida resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
The FL summers are killers.. I spent many on the beaches when I was young and got a lot of burns to prove it. NEVER used sunblocks of any kind. It's amazing I survived. Could be 1/2 italian blood. To this day I've never bought sunblocks and IF I would it would be from health stores...living in So. Cal is plenty of sun and I was at the beach for years....but humidity here to speak of..nothing like FL and E.C.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 865 times
@kbrewer28 I’ve scathed the web looking for someone with a similar issue. I live in Dallas (hard water) my fiancé lives in NYC (soft water). I get the same exact reaction - irritation around my lips, on my eyelids and itchy/dry patches on my cheeks/chin - within 24hrs of being in NYC. It’s taken me 2 yrs to pinpoint the water but I’m unsure what filter to get. When I research I only find info on filters for hard water. Can you tell me which one you have?

Also, wondering if it could it be a chlorine allergy vs fluoride. I have a similar reaction some
Pools and a lot of hot tubs.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
I avoid artifically fluoridated waters and showers, in and out real quickly. I know of others who have complained about allergies to all these chemicals, fluoride specifically. Takes a special filter to filter out fluoride.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:56 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,763,834 times
There was too much chloramine in my water. I bought a Culligan filtered shower head and my rash went away. Chloramine is tougher than chlorine, but the filter still did the trick. I have read good things about Vitamin C filters, but have not tried them.

I am not a health nut, but I am paranoid about the water here, it sucks.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 566 times
Default Possibly Sulfur

I just found this forum, but couldn't resist sharing this information. I too had itchy blisters after taking showers in Florida. In Tampa, it was accompanied with burning eyes, dripping nose, burning/itchy skin and a migraine. I checked out of 2 hotels in that city only for it to happen again. In the Orlando area, I had unexplained hives. In Nevada, these issues (without the hives) happened intermittently and unexpectedly by surprise. Come to find out my problem lies with Sulfates, Sulfites, and Sulf anything. I have taken out all products, soaps, lotions, detergents, shampoos, misc products, bottled water, gelatin capsules and even naturally occurring sulfites in foods (these can give me blisters in my mouth). For the first time in 30 years I feel fantastic! Very seriously feel like a new person. I have an entire sheet of paper of symptoms that have diminished while living a sulfur free life. Not a single doctor I have been to has ever had a clue. Hope this information helps other people out there. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2019, 10:22 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyparrot View Post
I just found this forum, but couldn't resist sharing this information. I too had itchy blisters after taking showers in Florida. In Tampa, it was accompanied with burning eyes, dripping nose, burning/itchy skin and a migraine. I checked out of 2 hotels in that city only for it to happen again. In the Orlando area, I had unexplained hives. In Nevada, these issues (without the hives) happened intermittently and unexpectedly by surprise. Come to find out my problem lies with Sulfates, Sulfites, and Sulf anything. I have taken out all products, soaps, lotions, detergents, shampoos, misc products, bottled water, gelatin capsules and even naturally occurring sulfites in foods (these can give me blisters in my mouth). For the first time in 30 years I feel fantastic! Very seriously feel like a new person. I have an entire sheet of paper of symptoms that have diminished while living a sulfur free life. Not a single doctor I have been to has ever had a clue. Hope this information helps other people out there. Good luck!
YES! I bought something from the deli section in the grocery store one time and it made my tongue swell up after one bite. I thought it would be so healthy, broccoli salad. Turns out, when I read the list of ingredients, it wasn't the same as the ingredients they listed online. It had sulfites. I already knew I was sensitive to sulfites because I get a reaction if I use lemon juice that contains it. Thank goodness there's a lemon juice that is sulfite-free or I'd have to be buying lemons all the time.

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/sulfite-sensitivity

Sulfur dioxide
Potassium bisulfite or potassium metabisulfite
Sodium bisulfite, sodium metabisulfite, or sodium sulfite

That's what to look for. I don't know if I have anything in the house that contains sulfites--I use "natural" products because I have so many allergies. Water can give you a rash or hives--I haven't had that happen but I know people who have. Some drs know about it but others don't. Thanks for your information and welcome to CD.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 742 times
I’m in Florida and suffer with the same issues! First they do those free chlorine burns once to twice a year since most utility companies have switched from chlorine to chloramines which is ammonia and chlorine combined to disinfect our water supply!
Chloramines are horrible and wreak havoc on our systems and are proven to be carcinogenic! This is on top of the chromium 6, all the VOC’s, prescriptions, bacteria and who knows what else is lingering in our water supply! If you go into https://www.ewg.org/ you should be able to locate your water company and see what contamination has been found! Most of the time we’re never notified and are completely unaware!
I have done so much research on water trying to fix my situation. I really wish the water companies would just spend the additional funds and filter our water properly?
My life has dramatically changed over the past few years due to our water issues so I truly wish you all luck and pray you find a solution!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies