Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:06 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I can't believe anyone thinks that grape seed extract can somehow magically "cure" allergies......it doesn't

Over 8 weeks of treatment, no significant differences were observed between active and placebo groups in rhinitis quality of life assessments, symptom diary scores, or requirements for rescue antihistamine. No significant laboratory abnormalities were detected
Evaluation of the clinical efficacy and safety of grapeseed extract in the treatment of fall seasonal allergic rhinitis: a pilot study. - PubMed - NCBI
Have you tried it to see for yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 04:52 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Have you tried it to see for yourself?
Exactly and maybe if the poster in denial.. had to go for most of her life with severe allergies with no help from doctors ...then someone stepping up and giving advice is the only way to go for us.. Most of the skeptics turn out to be working for pharma companies .

Old 09-29-2016, 05:01 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Study finds widespread adulteration of grape seed extract

Old 09-29-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
People should then buy from very reputable companies as I myself do...

Old 09-29-2016, 10:44 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Hi, and hope you are finding some support on the new supp. It's truly amazing how some can attack what they do not know.

So many are talking about this last year and how bad allergies have been. I think it's due a lot to warming climates and here in CA, a 5 yr draught. No cleaning the atmosphere and everything just hangs in there and attacks the allergy issues.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
"Very reputable" does no good. None of them have to prove their products contain what the label says (in the US; I do not know about Scotland) or that they do anything useful. The supplement companies only get into trouble here in the US if they hurt someone or someone other than the manufacturer analyzes the product and finds out it is mislabeled.

Most of the time the supplement does nothing and people just stop taking it. A supplement that contains peanuts and does not put that on the label could be dangerous for someone with a peanut allergy.

Vitamins and minerals are probably OK, especially if you choose a USP verified product. Herbals? You can never be sure. You can add to that the fact that a lot, probably most, of the botanicals come from China, home of baby milk and pet food ingredients containing melamine.

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/...nts_come_from/

Old 09-29-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"Very reputable" does no good. None of them have to prove their products contain what the label says (in the US; I do not know about Scotland) or that they do anything useful. The supplement companies only get into trouble here in the US if they hurt someone or someone other than the manufacturer analyzes the product and finds out it is mislabeled.

Most of the time the supplement does nothing and people just stop taking it. A supplement that contains peanuts and does not put that on the label could be dangerous for someone with a peanut allergy.

Vitamins and minerals are probably OK, especially if you choose a USP verified product. Herbals? You can never be sure. You can add to that the fact that a lot, probably most, of the botanicals come from China, home of baby milk and pet food ingredients containing melamine.

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/...nts_come_from/
Ive been through all that over many years with makeups, perfumes, face creams. mascaras, you name it.. its not regulated properly worldwide but we keep being told its safe by scientists who should know damn better.. their getting away with murder..I wont go into the household cleaners and pesticides that are hazarodous to us all but still sold over the counter... who is making all the big bucks from this. All these things get into our bodies as easily as what we put in our mouths.. The shop I buy my supplements from does state on packets about peanuts etc, and I wouldnt touch anything from outside the UK to take..or from a disreputable outlet. I mostly trust this firm .. About Napiers
https://napiers.net/about-napiers.html
While we are small, nevertheless science and safety are crucial to us. ... We continue to provide many herbal food supplements. ... Napiers accredited practitioners are qualified and members of their practice associations such as NIMH ... Between the Napiers Edinburgh, and Napiers Glasgow, run by Caitlin Keddie https://napiers.net/glasgow-clinic.html

Old 09-29-2016, 04:48 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I would hope that anyone who takes a lot of supplements would have a subscription to a place like Consumer Lab or something similar.

They test various supplements to confirm content and post recalls and who has received violation letters.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-29-2016, 06:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would hope that anyone who takes a lot of supplements would have a subscription to a place like Consumer Lab or something similar.

They test various supplements to confirm content and post recalls and who has received violation letters.
I'm my own lab reporter. Been on this road a lot of years and have plenty of like minded friends who are very alternative thinking, so we help each other a lot. I like to read blogs from Dr. Perlmutter and his likes. Plus years of integrative MD's.

For me, if I were to read consumer lab reports it would be for the drugs, but since I take so few anyway, one can find all the pros/cons on the drug online.

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Ive been through all that over many years with makeups, perfumes, face creams. mascaras, you name it.. its not regulated properly worldwide but we keep being told its safe by scientists who should know damn better.. their getting away with murder..I wont go into the household cleaners and pesticides that are hazarodous to us all but still sold over the counter... who is making all the big bucks from this. All these things get into our bodies as easily as what we put in our mouths.. The shop I buy my supplements from does state on packets about peanuts etc, and I wouldnt touch anything from outside the UK to take..or from a disreputable outlet. I mostly trust this firm .. About Napiers
https://napiers.net/about-napiers.html
While we are small, nevertheless science and safety are crucial to us. ... We continue to provide many herbal food supplements. ... Napiers accredited practitioners are qualified and members of their practice associations such as NIMH ... Between the Napiers Edinburgh, and Napiers Glasgow, run by Caitlin Keddie https://napiers.net/glasgow-clinic.html
It looks like the EU has increased its regulation of supplements. Don't know what Brexit will do to that.

Uncertain future for herbal remedy firm hit by EU laws (From Herald Scotland)

Observations on alt med in Scotland:

Hot and cold herbal nonsense from Napier University Edinburgh: another course shuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies