Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:43 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times

Advertisements

I have a significant food allergy that I have had all my life. As a child it was easy to avoid foods with the ingredient, but lately I cannot find anything without it.

My allergy may also be getting worse with age. Today I used my favorite lip balm, and not even 10 minutes later, the allergic reaction was present. I never use to have skin reactions, but that has changed.

So I have spent 30 minutes looking for a new lip balm and can't find anything that does not contain the allergen. Epi pens have become my new best friend and it sucks. Every reaction is progressively getting worse, so I need to get a handle on this.

Is there a website that you can enter an allergy and they search products to find safe items to use? I am at a loss on where i can start. And spending hours looking at ingredients online is not helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 09:20 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
What's the allergen? It would be helpful to know what it is.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What's the allergen? It would be helpful to know what it is.
I was thinking of a more universal database, but I am allergic to coconut.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:40 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
There are databases and shopping apps for foods but I haven't seen one for other products.

I'm just using Vaseline for lip balm because I need to avoid coconut oil, soybean oil, nut oils and sunscreen. There are recipes to make tinted and flavored Vaseline lip balm with koolaid and sweetener but I haven't tried it yet.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:30 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I don't know of any database for products either.

I have to use Burts Bees lip products. Lately they've come out with actual lipstick in a tube. The colors are nice. I think they also have lip balm.

Update: I just checked their website and all their lip balms do contain coconut. Their actual lipsticks do not. You might want to try one of their lipsticks instead.

Burt's Bees | Lipstick

and here's a place that has coconut free products. I've never heard of them before but you could read what they say
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.../coconut-free/

Old 11-14-2016, 12:34 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Aren't allergans about the same as histimines. I've posted a base of foods that produce histimes and there are MANY. Dairy and Cheeses are major ones.

I noticed the other day while playing bridge one of our members has horrible allergies and forever in distress but she does not hold back on ANY foods...I've gently mentioned the foods but it goes over her head it seems. She's also quite overweight.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't know of any database for products either.

I have to use Burts Bees lip products. Lately they've come out with actual lipstick in a tube. The colors are nice. I think they also have lip balm.

Update: I just checked their website and all their lip balms do contain coconut. Their actual lipsticks do not. You might want to try one of their lipsticks instead.

Burt's Bees | Lipstick

and here's a place that has coconut free products. I've never heard of them before but you could read what they say
Coconut-Free Shampoo and Other Products | Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve
Thank you. I am going to check that site out as soon as I get home.

I am not a lipstick wearer at all, so want to avoid Burts. My go to had been EOS but that is suddenly a no go.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:31 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Aren't allergans about the same as histimines. I've posted a base of foods that produce histimes and there are MANY. Dairy and Cheeses are major ones.

I noticed the other day while playing bridge one of our members has horrible allergies and forever in distress but she does not hold back on ANY foods...I've gently mentioned the foods but it goes over her head it seems. She's also quite overweight.
If she has seasonal allergies, that's not the same as food allergies. She might have a histamine sensitivity, in which case avoiding foods with high levels of histamine or foods that trigger the release of histamine might be helpful...but she might just have allergies to mold, ragweed, oak pollen, etc.

If she really had a serious food allergy, she wouldn't continue to eat the food. Allergic reactions to foods are really unpleasant and she would learn to avoid those foods after a while. For example, if you eat nuts and your lips and tongue swell up and you get big red welts on your face, that gives you the willpower to avoid nuts in the future. Or if you use coconut oil and it makes your throat really sore or your lips split in a dozen places and start bleeding, that would keep you from using it in the future.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:32 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

No - an allergen can be basically anything. Its a thing that your body happens to be allergic to. It is usually a "foreign" substance. It can be peanut proteins, mango, shrimp proteins...

Histamine is a chemical that the body itself naturally produces - including during some immune reactions. For example - get stung by a bee and the local cells in your body release histamines. Slap your arm hard - and that redness you see is a result of mast cells releasing their histamines which then act on blood vessels. They histamine response is generally advantageous for the immune system, but can be uncomfortable overall for the person.

As to your list of "histamine foods" - eaten histamines are normally not a problem. However, some people have a histamine intolerance (which is a type of food intolerance). For them, ingestion of those foods can cause unwanted histamine-mediated symptoms and big problems.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:57 AM

745 posts, read 1,648,728 times
Over production of Histamine is the response to all allergies.

At one time I became allergic to all the usual skin creams (and make up). I even had a reaction to Vaseline!

I recently learned that all these allergies were the result of Systemic Candida.
Treat the Candida and lose the allergies.

Take Niacinamide! Always with food.
Go easy with it tho as you may have a bad Herxheimer reaction to the die-off toxins released by the Candida.
And Do Not take it on an empty stomach.

Niacinamide Turns Out To Be a Potent Candida-Killing Nutrient | Health & Wellness News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies