Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 09:21 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times

Advertisements

According to the below document, peanut allergies have tripled in the past two decades. Talking with folks my own age (I'm 59), one thing that we agree on is that we hardly knew anyone with this allergy when we were growing up, and now it's depressingly prevalent.

I suppose the question is...why? Is it the environment we're raising kids in nowadays?

https://www.ajmc.com/journals/supple...-allergies?p=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 09:31 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
My peanut allergy showed up when I was in my 30's. So probably not the environment I was raised in. I know lots of other adults who have developed food allergies. All the emphasis is on developing treatment for childhood food allergies and the adults feel left out.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:41 AM

733 posts, read 468,642 times
My son (who is now in his twenties), went into anaphylactic shock when he was about one years old. Kmart was giving out peanut butter cookies and he immediately got sick after he ate the cookie. He ended up in the hospital and thankfully recovered. I don’t think the medical community really knows why kids today have more allergy’s to peanuts these days.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:22 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
I believe that some component of the rise in peanut allergy stems from years of well-intentioned, but misguided advice telling pregnant women to avoid peanuts if there was a history of food or environmental allergy and for all parents to not feed their babies peanut products until 2 years of age.

It turns out that early exposure to peanuts (as well as some other food allergens such as egg) actually decreases the likelihood of a child developing an allergy. There is a generation of kids who's peanut avoidance actually increased their peanut allergy rather than avoided it.

This isn't the complete answer to the increase in food allergy, but it is part of the answer.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:45 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
I have heard theories that the way peanuts are grown and treated in Western countries may have something to do with it. I have a friend whose husband is from Ghana. Here in the US, he can't eat peanuts. He doesn't have a full-blown anaphylactic reaction, but he gets hives and stomach pain. Back home in Ghana, he eats the local peanuts with no problem at all.

My husband's niece and nephew both have severe peanut and tree nut allergies, and they were born and raised in Germany, so it's not just the US that has this problem. They were also allergic to eggs until they reached their teens, but they've outgrown that one. It is true however that sister-in-law followed the advice of her pediatrician, which included delaying eggs, nuts, and other allergens, religiously. I was pretty lax and introduced them all early, and my kids have no allergies. For what it's worth.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:24 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Another thread on this: //www.city-data.com/forum/aller...me-almost.html

Old 11-24-2019, 11:31 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
My allergist says your body is like a bucket. You can handle some allergens until the bucket is overflowing and then you experience more allergic reactions.

I have had some allergies and asthma my whole life. Because my environmental allergies (dust, oak trees and cats) are overflowing, it is making me experience way more food allergies. I am allergic to turkey, strawberries, peanuts, tree nuts, lamb, fish, eggs, and coconut. I wish peanuts was my only allergy...

Old 12-05-2020, 11:25 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
It does seem to be causing some heartburn. Heck, if you're concerned why not just avoid the restaraunt in the first place?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/chil...232150296.html

Old 12-09-2020, 03:22 AM

164 posts, read 127,398 times
Hi,

I agree with the point that Peanut allergy has been increasing in children these days. If you see a mild allergic reaction in your child, it's important to talk to your doctor.

Thanks.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:58 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2017/0...to-prevention/

That trial, involving hundreds of babies under a year old at high risk for developing peanut allergy, established that kids could be protected by regularly eating a popular peanut butter-flavored Israeli snack called Bamba. A follow-up study later showed those kids remained allergy-free even after avoiding peanuts for a year [4].

I’ve read many articles about this. But we forget that plants want to kill you. They have many different poisons and lesser side affects like gas, bloating etc. to avoid being eaten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies