Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 PM

910 posts, read 2,295,658 times

Advertisements

Through the years I've made a few friends in health forums and one of them shared some very important information with me, and I'm passing it on here:

Coconut Oil Touted as Alzheimer's Remedy - Health & Science - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

Here's the first of 3 videos of the complete interview with Dr. Mary Newport and her husband. In Part II or III you'll see him talking, which is what I myself had wanted to see.

Dr. Newport's effective work on memory loss and Alzheimer's with coconut oil- Part I - YouTube

Here's another testimony:

Our story; Alzheimers' and Coconut Oil: Ian Blair Hamilton and Cassie Bond - YouTube

And another:

Bruce's Dementia Gone through coconut oil and prayer - YouTube

This last gentleman emphasizes that this doesn't work in every case, just about 47%, as there's more than one cause for dementia. But if there's anyone in your family with a similar problem I feel it would be worthwhile to get give it a try, at least the chances of any side effects from taking virgin coconut oil would be very minimal as opposed to prescription drugs which always have several, often some very serious ones.

A very important nutrient that's often overlooked is iodine, the lack of it will cause thyroid problems which are not often identified, especially in the elderly, and this will eventually lead to dementia, which I am convinced is what happened to my beloved maternal grandmother. Iodine is also needed by all of our glands, especially the breasts, ovaries, pituitary and prostate, by our stomachs to produce hydrochloric acid and even by our eyes. It can, therefore, help prevent cancer in those organs and possibly in other parts of the body because it's needed for "apoptosis" of the cells (programmed cell death) and when this does not happen we can grow cysts and tumors.

I really wish I'd known that some years ago because I may have been able to spare my mother from all the suffering she went through due to getting breast cancer, same with one of her brothers who died of colon cancer so I've researched all this because it touches me very closely and I share the same risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,548,593 times
WOW how easy could this be? I sent my Mom the links to Dr. Newport's videos. I'll be back to watch the others later today.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:00 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,793,970 times
I'm forever thinking about what could be missing with the Dementa/Alzheimers issues and since I believe many are also Iodine Deficient, I found this older post.

https://www.helpguide.org/harvard/wh...emory-loss.htm

I've been dosing with Iodine drops for over 10 yrs now and at 80 I'm good with the mind.

Just thinking a lot of older population are most likely low in B12, magnesium, iodine for starters.

Iodine Deficiency More Common Than Thought:

https://www.nutrientinsider.com/News...-Thought-.htm#

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-28-2018 at 05:11 PM..

Old 08-29-2018, 09:58 AM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
One cup of milk will usually be over a 100% of your daily iodine, and other dairy has it, but not as much.

Anyone who eats it should be fine.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-29-2018, 11:56 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,737,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
One cup of milk will usually be over a 100% of your daily iodine, and other dairy has it, but not as much.

Anyone who eats it should be fine.
I wish I could drink milk. I'm very allergic to all dairy products. A lot of other people are lactose intolerant so there's another group that can't get iodine through dairy products. I've been looking at lists of foods that contain decent amounts of iodine--egg yolks, fish, potato skins, others.

Looks like the best and safest way is to eat seaweed--make miso soup or something.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:00 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wish I could drink milk. I'm very allergic to all dairy products. A lot of other people are lactose intolerant so there's another group that can't get iodine through dairy products. I've been looking at lists of foods that contain decent amounts of iodine--egg yolks, fish, potato skins, others.

Looks like the best and safest way is to eat seaweed--make miso soup or something.
You probably looked at the same article as me, so you saw all the different types, my favorite is wakame. We also by kombu sheets for soup, and I bet you could add it to other soups and stews for some umame flavor.... so thanks, I just thought of that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-29-2018, 01:53 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,078,183 times
Just 1/4 teaspoon of iodized salt provides about half of daily iodine requirement. Many foods are good sources of iodine, spinach and other dark leafy greens, sea vegetables, prunes, cranberries, green beans, lima beans, other beans - so many.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:34 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,737,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Just 1/4 teaspoon of iodized salt provides about half of daily iodine requirement. Many foods are good sources of iodine, spinach and other dark leafy greens, sea vegetables, prunes, cranberries, green beans, lima beans, other beans - so many.
Thanks, that's what I've been reading too. Unfortunately, many people have had to cut down on salt. Many people don't consume very much of the above vegetables even though they should! How many people do we read about on CD who eat fast food or eat out at chains most of the time. They might get beans if they are eating Mexican but they're not getting prunes or many dark leafy greens, nor cranberries and seaweed.

Some people are getting these nutrients by making smoothies and that's a good thing.

If a person is DEFICIENT in iodine, they would have to eat more to get up to normal levels. That's where a knowledgeable doctor would come in. Too much iodine can be dangerous.

As for curing Alzheimers, maybe. From what I've read, there are different causes. Some people get it from having had a serious head injury, some get it from some environmental exposure (could be some toxin? some nutrient deficiency? or? I'm just speculating here.) And others are just genetic. Several articles I have read mention those three general causes.

I read that low thyroid can cause memory loss, mental fog, that sort of thing. Not going to search for the relevant articles right now, but if the iodine is the cause of the low thyroid, then in that case, iodine could be helpful.

But I think Alzheimers is more complicated than that. Iodine might be a good idea for some patients though--but under a dr's supervision.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:21 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,793,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Do you know how many grams of sodium are in that 1/4 tsp?

Old 08-29-2018, 03:33 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,078,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thanks, that's what I've been reading too. Unfortunately, many people have had to cut down on salt.
1/4 teaspoon of salt daily would be an extremely low sodium diet. Everyone needs it.

Quote:
Many people don't consume very much of the above vegetables even though they should! How many people do we read about on CD who eat fast food or eat out at chains most of the time. They might get beans if they are eating Mexican but they're not getting prunes or many dark leafy greens, nor cranberries and seaweed.
Those people are getting iodine too because many foods are fortified with it.

Quote:
If a person is DEFICIENT in iodine, they would have to eat more to get up to normal levels. That's where a knowledgeable doctor would come in. Too much iodine can be dangerous.
Yes, too much is bad. It's practically impossible to get too much from a diet, but easy to get too much from a supplement. You probably won't find a doctor to test it and I don't think insurance would cover it.

Quote:
I read that low thyroid can cause memory loss, mental fog, that sort of thing.
Yes, it can.

Quote:
Not going to search for the relevant articles right now, but if the iodine is the cause of the low thyroid, then in that case, iodine could be helpful.
There can be other causes for hypothyroid. You can have enough iodine, but the thyroid may not be uptaking properly. One of the causes for this can be a diet high in cruciferous vegetables and soybeans/soy products, and some chemicals. Goitrogens can disrupt production of thyroid hormone https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goitrogen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine