Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 AM

71 posts, read 300,470 times

Advertisements

Have dealt with this skin problem for about 11 years. It's really a quality of life issue.
I am looking to see if anyone has advice on an alternative medicine expert that could help me.

I've gone to dermatologists before; they don't really help.

I'm looking to see someone who can help me decipher the triggers or someone who experience in tried and true dietary and supplemental vitamin regimens in relating to Seb. Derm. I have a feeling mine is hormonally related.

Does anyone know what kind of expert I would look into?

I live in the Greater NYC area. It's gotten to be so ridiculous that I don't really care if I have to travel to see someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 AM

607 posts, read 1,402,171 times
I have found a few things. My seborrheic dermatitis can be confused with eczema, and I think I have a combination. Eating a lot of refined white sugar and processed wheat can cause it to flare up. Hormonal fluctuations do, too.
I have had relief using California Baby's Calendula cream as a moisturizer either with or without the Lavendar. I can't live without it. I even use it as my facial moisturizer. Also, keeping a bottle of Selsun Blue in the shower and lathering the affected parts of my body with it seems to help. There is a lotion that comes in a tube called Florasone. It is for eczema, but may work for you. You can find it at Vitamin Shoppe or Whole foods. Its main ingredient is cardiospermum. Using Dr. Brommer's almond castille soap has helped, too. The biggest help of all these things is the California Baby Calendula cream. Google it - it is hard to find, but well worth it! I have been able to find it locally in the natural baby care section at our Publix supermarket. It is on amazon, though.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 PM

71 posts, read 300,470 times
Interesting info., Kimmie. I will have to keep these in mind. These are more-so solutions in alleviating the symptoms.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:21 PM

311 posts, read 467,106 times
I'm also looking for natural remedies..sorry delasoul, I have no answers for you. But I just want to add, I too have psoriasis/dermatitis (not sure which at this point) and it's getting out of control. Will be seeing a dermatoligist soon. Was suggeted by my Dr. to go on steroids...I really don't want to do that.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:32 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,627,626 times
There are many possible causes and it does take a good deal of research, skills, and some amount of intuition to uncover possible causes. Often, you will have to go through some sort of trial and error once possibilities are narrowed down. I would say that the possibilities to control the problem are quite good once the fundamental causes are uncovered. You do have to analyze various aspects of your lifestyle (eating habits, exercise, sleep habits, stress inducers, etc. in order to begin to hone in the causes. Even if hereditary, there are many things you can do to reduce and minimize outbreaks. As an aside (and I doubt this applies to you), my son had problems as an infant induced by vaccinations. In his case we used macrobiotics and homeopathy to cure the problem (there was also associated asthma). The orthodox physicians at the time thought we were foolish trying to cure him but we figured out how to it (we were new to alternative medicines at the time).

I would suggest that you focus on physicians who focus in on lifestyle changes and provide advice on possible herbals or other modalities as a means to control short term flare ups. I would be skeptical of anyone who suggests a a particular modality as a potential cure without first emphasizing lifestyle changes.

Last edited by richrf; 10-26-2012 at 09:44 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 10:54 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times
Yeah, it can be a PITA. It's caused by a fungus that lives on everyone's skin that eats the oils your skin makes and produces fatty acids that irritate people's skin that are sensitive to it. Try some OTC antifungals that contain the ingredient zinc pyrithione. Nizoral (if you can find it) works wonders and you can even apply it to areas not on the scalp that are affected by SD. You have to specifically look for anti-fungal ingredients in OTC antidandruff shampoos, many of which do not contain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine