Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:25 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times

Advertisements

How about a clinical sleep study? Might be an issue with sleep apnea. The solution for sleep apnea isn't a drug or invasive procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Well, you may not "believe" in fibromyalgia, but you may have it.

After a year of docs figuring out why my rheumatoid arthritis meds weren't stopping the pain, they added FM medicine and my EXTREME lethargy and pain are greatly diminished.

People with RA are more prone to it.

Just food for thought.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Perhaps you should get a message. There's nothing quite like some deep tissue work.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:17 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
I had a similar problem some years back. I finally went to my Dr and he found my thyroid was barely working. Once on medication for an underactive thyroid I felt fine. You can't know what's wrong unless you see a Dr and find the cause of your tiredness. Then you can decide if you want to take medication or keep getting worse.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,289,544 times
Your thyroid medication might need to be adjusted.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Get right into the morning "wakeup" shower. You have a lot of stated "dis-beliefs" IMO, that may keep you from being successful w/ regards to suggestions. Stress is a leading cause of sleeplessness and you mentioned right off all the "stressors" family problems etc. So, avoiding suggesting that you research some stress reducing activities...I'd suggest the walking previously mentioned.
Watching some comedy, because laughing out loud is one of the best ways to reduce your inner stress. Drinking less/none alcohol, coffee, caffeinated drinks, especially in the evening. Eating a decent balanced diet. Taking hot baths before bed...aroma therapy is great, lavender is a fragrance that helps w/ sleep. Helpful links below:

Sleepiness: Coping With Excessive Sleepiness: Causes and Cures
Stressors;lack of sleep:
Sleep Deprivation and Stress: How Stress Affects Sleep
Stress And Lack Of Sleep

Laughter: Laughter is the Best Medicine: The Health Benefits of Humor
Laughter And Stress Releif

Aromatherapy:Aromatherapy - The Balance & Harmony of Body and Mind
The National Association For Holistic Aromatherapy

Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 AM

6,932 posts, read 6,866,775 times
A few things to try.
You say you have a good diet, but good means different things to different people. For example, heavy foods will tend to make you sluggish. Cheese, dairy products, a lot of bread and white flour, processed foods, etc.

On that note, some say that drinking freshly squeezed juices and salads (ie a lighter choice of foods) helps to give more energy, possibly moving towards a raw diet - not completely as it is very difficult, but some way perhaps? There is a "macrobiotic" diet which consists of mainly brown rice and vegetables, seaweed, pickles etc which I was on for 6 months and I found I lost a lot of extra weight and felt better while on it. Um...you could try wheatgrass juice, etc

Another option is to try some kind of tai chi or yoga or stretches which get the energy moving round the body in a better way. I do 12 different meridian stretches every day which I find helps keep my energy up and also - if you believe in that kind of thing - balances the energy moving through each organ.

Another thing which people have said is that you do need to get checked out, as there may be a simple imbalance in your blood which could be easily fixed. Generally, men dont like going to the doc and often leave things too long before getting checked out. I am the same.

I dont know how things are there, but in the UK we have plenty of good herbalists and alternative practitioners to choose from. If you have a preference, then go to the main regulatory body and ask them for one near you or else ask around and get a range of opinions.

You know, a forum is not really a very good place to ask advice of a health nature because there are so many wanna-be advisors. You would probably be wise to investigate this kind of thing for yourself and learn up about the causes and remedies. Firstly because it is never a waste of time to learn about your own body processes and secondly, you can ask intelligent questions when you do go to see the doctor.
Good luck.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,658 times
It could just be Sleep Inertia.

I have not been diagnosed with sleep inertia, but I have it BAD. It takes me at least three hours to wake up completely.
I sleep 8-10 hours a night and have always been this way. I just live with it and get to work as soon as my mind wakes up.
I'm a night owl, so I usually don't get started on my day until after the lunch hour. It works for me.

I hope this offers some help in at least explaining what your problem may be.

(Your medical woes almost mirror mine.)

Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,922,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
It could just be Sleep Inertia.

I have not been diagnosed with sleep inertia, but I have it BAD. It takes me at least three hours to wake up completely.
I sleep 8-10 hours a night and have always been this way. I just live with it and get to work as soon as my mind wakes up.
I'm a night owl, so I usually don't get started on my day until after the lunch hour. It works for me.

I hope this offers some help in at least explaining what your problem may be.

(Your medical woes almost mirror mine.)
Oh my goodness. That is me!

I wonder how long I might sleep if I didn't make myself get up in the morning. I seriously wonder.

P.S. I did have blood tests and everything is in the normal range, yet I am exhausted and groggy.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:31 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I have a new problem! I am in my early sixties, and overall, am tired. I think because it has been a difficult year and I am worn out. I also have lots of responsibilities with family members, etc.

I am noticing that it is taking me longer and longer to really "wake up" and become alert in the morning. I have to have three cups of coffee and it take a couple of hours before I feel like I can think straight . . .

I suppose I should start taking vitamins - I don't know how much is related to simple aging or what "aging" even does to your system, for that matter.

I am not into pharmaceutical solutions, so please don't suggest any.

I am also not depressed.

I am just tired.

I am not going to go to my doctor for a "check up" either - just noting the usual responses people make, i.e., go see your doctor, you must be depressed, start taking pills, etc.

Does anyone have this problem or know other people who have had it?

Are there particular vitamins that help with alertness and restoration?

If this thread needs to be in the "alternative" area, please move it - I wasn't sure where it should go.

You must go to the Dr. and have a blood work done for specific hormones. An MD familiar with anti-aging will do not necessarily and endocrinologist.

May be hormonal issues. Low pregnenolone is a sympton of fogginess. I am in the industry and supplements are only useful once you know what to supplement with.

Rather than experiment with supps. Do the blood work and see what there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine