Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times

Advertisements

So, I made up a batch of this all natural "Master Tonic" stuff way back in 2006 for the Bird Flu scare. The fumes from cutting up the ingredients and the resulting concoction were so intense it destroyed the contact lenses I wore, even though I mixed it outside. I did not try it. I put in in mason jars. The recipe said it needed no special storage and would last "indefinitely." I shelved it and forgot about it.

Now, all this virulent flu is around. Everyone around me has it. Then, a week ago, a tickle, then a scratchy throat, and started to feel it coming on. Strong. Headache, sneezy, dry cough.

Remembered the tonic. Why not? I thought. Looked unchanged, and even after almost 7 years, wickedly strong smell. Took a few teaspoons full. Hot as curry, jalapeno sauce, Thai food, like that; burning in the mouth, the lips numbed, required a milk chaser.

But: felt an immediate difference! The throat scratchiness was gone instantly, like the virus was burned away. I just knew the virus replication was stopped. And it was. I took some later and continued the next day just in case (I used a dropper to avoid my mouth to just get it down), but I knew the battle was over.

How to Make Homemade Master Tonic - wikiHow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
I wouldn't recommend it, especially for children as the "instructions" suggest. A drop might be useful. And even using it, mixed with oil for a salad, would be -very- useful. Or marinating chicken in it and then broiling/grilling the chicken. But two teaspoons by themselves, defitely not. Habanero's heat index is high enough to cause blisters to the skin when touched. That last thing you want to do is put that stuff down your esophagus in high concentrations. It's not that you shouldn't use it at all. Just not in high concentrations. The recipe is definitely a high-concentration mixture.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I wouldn't recommend it, especially for children as the "instructions" suggest. Habanero's heat index is high enough to cause blisters to the skin when touched. That last thing you want to do is put that stuff down your esophagus in high concentrations. It's not that you shouldn't use it at all. Just not in high concentrations. The recipe is definitely a high-concentration mixture.
Four people have now used it. No burns or negative side effects whatsoever. They all said I was wimpy; it wasn't that hot to them. (I am wimpy. I can't eat the hot sauce at Taco Bell.) All stopped the flu, and one had had it for 2 days.

Also, I have eaten with children at restaurants who could wolf down hot spicy dishes that I couldn't bear; it's all tolerance. Go to India, Thailand or Mexico and this is obvious.

The vinegar in the recipe counteracts the peppers. Peppers are alkaline, vinegar, acid. That substantially neutralizes the burn effect.

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 01-22-2013 at 11:12 AM..

Old 01-26-2013, 03:30 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
that's very interesting nightlysparrow, I'm gonna make me some up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine