Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times

Advertisements

I've seen several documentaries that mention the Gerson Therapy being a cure for cancer and other degenerative diseases. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts?

"The Gerson Therapy is a natural treatment that activates the body’s extraordinary ability to heal itself through an organic, vegetarian diet, raw juices, coffee enemas and natural supplements."

Gerson Institute

Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Gerson Therapy

"Available scientific evidence does not support claims that Gerson therapy is effective in treating cancer, and the principles behind it are not widely accepted by the medical community. It is not approved for use in the United States. Gerson therapy can be dangerous. Coffee enemas have been associated with serious infections, dehydration, constipation, colitis (inflammation of the colon), electrolyte imbalances, and even death."

Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I've seen several documentaries that mention the Gerson Therapy being a cure for cancer and other degenerative diseases. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts?

"The Gerson Therapy is a natural treatment that activates the body’s extraordinary ability to heal itself through an organic, vegetarian diet, raw juices, coffee enemas and natural supplements."

Gerson Institute
Gerson "therapy" isn't approved for use in the USA, the National Cancer Institute AND the American Cancer Society both consider it invalid, and even dangerous. Of the people they were able to test who -did- undergo the therapy, some of them died from cancer, and the ones they found cancer-free, had ALSO been treated with standard approved and conventional cancer treatments at the same time, and so they had no way to determine if it was the Gerson therapy or the standard treatments that did the job. The Gerson Institute insisted that it was their therapy, but they were unable to provide -any- evidence of this. Not a shred. Not even a simple test. In fact, they didn't do any testing. At all.

Gerson therapy is unproven - what you linked us to, is the "press information" that the Gerson institute provides to dupes who are easily suckered into gimmicks because they are already in dire straits and are desperate to find something that works.

It is all made up. There's no proof or even -hint- of proof that any of their therapies work, and the basis from which they make their claims - is false (that some deficiency or imbalance in the pancreas is what causes cancer, and therefore diet and enemas can cure it).

One doesn't need to be smashed over the head with a ball-peen hammer, to know that getting smashed in the head with a ball-peen hammer is probably a really stupid thing to try.

And as such, one doesn't need to experience coffee enemas, to know that coffee enemas are not likely to contribute to curing anything. I also don't need to eliminate sodium from my diet, to know that human nutritional needs include sodium, and that if I do eliminate sodium, I'm likely to get sick.

If you are, indeed suffering from cancer, my heart goes out to you and I hope you get well. But Gerson therapy will not help you and -might- make things even worse. There are natural adjunct therapies that can be used with standard treatments, to allieviate symptoms and help your body while it fights. Gerson is not one of them.

This is a decent summary - and if you are skeptical about wikipedia (as you should be!) there are plenty of sources cited that you can check on the information for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Gerson

Last edited by AnonChick; 01-22-2013 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: added link to wikipedia

Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the input. I don't have cancer. However, the documentaries I watched seemed to offer documentation that it works. Sure, they could be making it all up. But are they really? I am still doing the research (and asking for input and direction), but the info I have gathered on nutrition and organic farming suggests that the powers-that-be here in the states have plenty of incentive to outlaw a lot of what is truly best for us. There is no money in nutritional healing, but there is plenty of money in keeping us sick and poorly nourished. I know eating healthy, for me, has helped me immensely. I'm just wondering how far "prescribing" nutrition actually goes in the way of curing serious illnesses. After what I have seen and learned, I don't trust the government to guide me in the direction of good health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Gerson "therapy" isn't approved for use in the USA, the National Cancer Institute AND the American Cancer Society both consider it invalid, and even dangerous. Of the people they were able to test who -did- undergo the therapy, some of them died from cancer, and the ones they found cancer-free, had ALSO been treated with standard approved and conventional cancer treatments at the same time, and so they had no way to determine if it was the Gerson therapy or the standard treatments that did the job. The Gerson Institute insisted that it was their therapy, but they were unable to provide -any- evidence of this. Not a shred. Not even a simple test. In fact, they didn't do any testing. At all.

Gerson therapy is unproven - what you linked us to, is the "press information" that the Gerson institute provides to dupes who are easily suckered into gimmicks because they are already in dire straits and are desperate to find something that works.

It is all made up. There's no proof or even -hint- of proof that any of their therapies work, and the basis from which they make their claims - is false (that some deficiency or imbalance in the pancreas is what causes cancer, and therefore diet and enemas can cure it).

One doesn't need to be smashed over the head with a ball-peen hammer, to know that getting smashed in the head with a ball-peen hammer is probably a really stupid thing to try.

And as such, one doesn't need to experience coffee enemas, to know that coffee enemas are not likely to contribute to curing anything. I also don't need to eliminate sodium from my diet, to know that human nutritional needs include sodium, and that if I do eliminate sodium, I'm likely to get sick.

If you are, indeed suffering from cancer, my heart goes out to you and I hope you get well. But Gerson therapy will not help you and -might- make things even worse. There are natural adjunct therapies that can be used with standard treatments, to allieviate symptoms and help your body while it fights. Gerson is not one of them.

This is a decent summary - and if you are skeptical about wikipedia (as you should be!) there are plenty of sources cited that you can check on the information for yourself.

Max Gerson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 PM

Supplements and alternative medicine are multi-billion dollar industries. They don't GIVE their treatments away, and most insurance companies don't cover them, so it's a cash business. Supplements don't have to undergo the immensely expensive testing that pharmaceuticals have to undergo, in order to get approval. In fact, they don't have to get any approval, from anyone, except whoever is willing to sell it. And even then, they only need the approval to the extent that the seller is profiting. So the seller doesn't even have to believe it works, as long as he's making money.

Doctors don't make a commission for the prescriptions they write out (kickbacks on pharmaceuticals are illegal). People who sell nutritional supplements do (kickbacks for non-pharmaceutical supplements are NOT illegal).

Do you really think there's no money in giving someone caffeine enemas? Would YOU give someone a caffeine enema for free? On purpose? Or buy the enema solution and GIVE it to a customer, without making them pay for it, and without profiting from the sale?

Don't fool yourself into thinking that these people don't make money, or that they're in it only to be helpful. They're in it because they get rich off the desperate, by lying to them. That is WHY it's not approved for use in the USA. The only people who think it's a conspiracy, are conspiracy theorists, and the people who don't get the approval. And even THEY don't truly believe it's a conspiracy, because they know the truth of the matter. But if it'll sell another million in sales, they'll pretend it's a conspiracy, to attract the nutjobs into spending more cash on fraudulent products and treatments. Remember, the dead can't talk.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Anon, I tried to rep you, but I have to recharge first!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
A friend in WI had liver cancer, and he did this therapy. He drank pounds of juiced vegetables, did the enemas, fasted, everything. He became very thin and weak. It took at least a year. Never thought it would work, and I still cannot recommend it to anyone, but for him it did. That was in the 1980's.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Supplements and alternative medicine are multi-billion dollar industries. They don't GIVE their treatments away, and most insurance companies don't cover them, so it's a cash business. Supplements don't have to undergo the immensely expensive testing that pharmaceuticals have to undergo, in order to get approval. In fact, they don't have to get any approval, from anyone, except whoever is willing to sell it. And even then, they only need the approval to the extent that the seller is profiting. So the seller doesn't even have to believe it works, as long as he's making money.

Doctors don't make a commission for the prescriptions they write out (kickbacks on pharmaceuticals are illegal). People who sell nutritional supplements do (kickbacks for non-pharmaceutical supplements are NOT illegal).

Do you really think there's no money in giving someone caffeine enemas? Would YOU give someone a caffeine enema for free? On purpose? Or buy the enema solution and GIVE it to a customer, without making them pay for it, and without profiting from the sale?

Don't fool yourself into thinking that these people don't make money, or that they're in it only to be helpful. They're in it because they get rich off the desperate, by lying to them. That is WHY it's not approved for use in the USA. The only people who think it's a conspiracy, are conspiracy theorists, and the people who don't get the approval. And even THEY don't truly believe it's a conspiracy, because they know the truth of the matter. But if it'll sell another million in sales, they'll pretend it's a conspiracy, to attract the nutjobs into spending more cash on fraudulent products and treatments. Remember, the dead can't talk.
Allow me to clarify. When I say there is no money in nutrition, I mean the pharmaceutical companies would suffer if we were healthy. Doctors wouldn't do as well. The insurance companies wouldn't do as well. They have everything to gain by keeping us sick and dependent on medication. I didn't mean there is literally no money in nutrition. One need only look around the local grocery store or health food market and see that is not the case.

Whether or not these nutrition based companies are doing it to be helpful, well, I won't presume to know. We all have to make a living. I believe there are people who choose to go the route that is most helpful to others while some turn a blind eye to what has been proven to be harmful to make a buck. What I care about most is whether or not it IS helpful and, in my experience, it is. I am far less likely to die from taking a vitamin or mineral supplement that my body already produces than a foreign chemical. People have kicked their cholesterol medication through good nutrition. People have eliminated Diabetes through good nutrition. There is a need for doctors and pharmaceutical drugs for what we truly cannot control. But pharmas often keep us dependent, while good nutrition actually has eliminated the problem.

I would be just as naive to think that no doctor takes kickbacks or that the government actually cares about our well being when they approve of farming methods, processing procedures and standards, medications, additives and other products that harm and even kill people. These have been documented. The dead can talk.

As to why these are not approved in the USA, I haven't formed as strong and concrete a conclusion. What I am finding is that our government is more than capable and willing to to fluff and shiny up what is actually harmful to us. They are also slaves to the almighty dollar. I'm not completely sold on the Gerson Therapy, I don't know enough about it. But I know, at this point, I would not count on the government and the FDA to have my best interests in mind.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Allow me to clarify. When I say there is no money in nutrition, I mean the pharmaceutical companies would suffer if we were healthy. Doctors wouldn't do as well. The insurance companies wouldn't do as well. They have everything to gain by keeping us sick and dependent on medication. I didn't mean there is literally no money in nutrition. One need only look around the local grocery store or health food market and see that is not the case.

Whether or not these nutrition based companies are doing it to be helpful, well, I won't presume to know. We all have to make a living. I believe there are people who choose to go the route that is most helpful to others while some turn a blind eye to what has been proven to be harmful to make a buck. What I care about most is whether or not it IS helpful and, in my experience, it is. I am far less likely to die from taking a vitamin or mineral supplement that my body already produces than a foreign chemical. People have kicked their cholesterol medication through good nutrition. People have eliminated Diabetes through good nutrition. There is a need for doctors and pharmaceutical drugs for what we truly cannot control. But pharmas often keep us dependent, while good nutrition actually has eliminated the problem.

I would be just as naive to think that no doctor takes kickbacks or that the government actually cares about our well being when they approve of farming methods, processing procedures and standards, medications, additives and other products that harm and even kill people. These have been documented. The dead can talk.

As to why these are not approved in the USA, I haven't formed as strong and concrete a conclusion. What I am finding is that our government is more than capable and willing to to fluff and shiny up what is actually harmful to us. They are also slaves to the almighty dollar. I'm not completely sold on the Gerson Therapy, I don't know enough about it. But I know, at this point, I would not count on the government and the FDA to have my best interests in mind.
Except, you didn't start this thread to discuss nutrition and diabetes, or kicking cholesterol problems with diet. This thread, which you started, is about whether or not the Gersen therapy is useful to cure cancer.

The answer is:

No. It is not.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
A friend in WI had liver cancer, and he did this therapy. He drank pounds of juiced vegetables, did the enemas, fasted, everything. He became very thin and weak. It took at least a year. Never thought it would work, and I still cannot recommend it to anyone, but for him it did. That was in the 1980's.
What is the evidence that the Gerson therapy is the exact, and only thing that cured his cancer? As opposed to anything else he was doing at the time, or spontaneous remission, which *does* happen? And how's his colon these days? Has he had a colonoscopy lately? I'd be surprised if he didn't have trouble with his bowels.

The Gerson treatment is based on an *incorrect* presumption: that the pancreas is responsible for the formation of cancer throughout the body. In other words, if you have skin cancer, it's because of something happening with your pancreas. It isn't that you spent too much time in the sun without sunscreen as a kid. It's all about the pancreas. If you have breast cancer, it's the pancreas's fault. If you have a tumor on your toe, blame it on the pancreas.

I HOPE you see how ridiculous this premise is. The entire Gerson treatment revolves around that premise. Since the premise is patently incorrect, then any possible "cure" for cancer is coincidental, and not causational. In other words, if the patient gets well, he would've gotten well without that treatment. Regular caffeine enemas don't cure cancer. They just don't. They don't treat cancer, they don't cure cancer. They DO cause colitis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.