Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM

52 posts, read 345,017 times

Advertisements

I am doing somewhat of a detox/diet change and would like to know what are some foods/drinks and or vitamins I can take which will help aid in helping to clear my skin and bring the glow back.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,510 times
Avocado and papaya are great for you skin.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarie2010 View Post
I am doing somewhat of a detox/diet change and would like to know what are some foods/drinks and or vitamins I can take which will help aid in helping to clear my skin and bring the glow back.

Thanks!
A general OTC vitamin-mineral supplement is all most of us need. Millions of people live long healthy lives never taking any supplements at all.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
If you have problems with your skin, your first trip should be to a dermatologist to get a diagnosis. Is it acne? Is it hormone related? Is it a symptom of a food allergy? Is it caused by a specific toxin you're exposing yourself to regularly? Is it simply discoloration of the skin? Are you dehydrated? Do you wash your face with regular soap, scented body soap, or cleansing milk? Do you moisturize? If so, with what? Are you on medications you weren't on, when your skin was in good health? Is it sagging because of sudden extreme weight loss? Are you a smoker? Any and all of these things can contribute to dull skin.

You need to determine -why- you have a skin problem, before you can correct it. The solution will depend on the cause.

However, barring any particular allergies, a good start would be to cut out, or cut down severely, on pre-packaged pre-processed foods. Eat plenty of produce. Raw or cooked, seasoned or not seasoned - but if you season them, don't use "seasoning mixes." So instead of "italian dressing mix, just add oil and vinegar" or "mexican marinara sauce" - make it from scratch. Use a real actual garlic clove instead of garlic salt. Use fresh chopped parsley instead of dried flakes. Oregano is really the only thing that really -should- be used dry - fresh oregano isn't as flavorful as dried oregano.

Make sure you're drinking enough water. How much is "enough?" It depends on the person. But a litre of water day should be a minimum. Not a litre of juice, or coffee, or tea - just plain old ordinary water, from the tap or the bottle. If you're already consuming that much now, add another half-litre and see if that doesn't help your skin.

When you wash your face, use a wash cloth. If you have acne, do *not* scrub hard. That'll just make it worse. Gently rub the cloth over your face in tight circles (cover a couple of fingers with the wash cloth and move your cloth-covered fingers over your skin). You want it to be a very light, very gentle massaging motion, not a harsh scraping scrubbing motion. What this will do, is bring the oils to the surface and allow them to come out of the skin, rather than being stuck under the surface and contributing to infection/mixing with dirt. Never try to "strip" oil from your skin with harsh alcohol-based toners. Your skin needs its sebum (the oily/waxy substance people refer to as "oil"). Sebum is your skin's protection, and your skin is your body's protection. So if your skin is over-producing sebum, there's a reason for it. It's fighting off *something.* And the more you attack it, the more it will produce.

There really aren't any supplements that will fix your skin, and these methods of brightening the skin up aren't exactly "alternative." They're pretty standard methods, recommended by both alternative practitioners AND regular medical practitioners.

Mostly though, determine -why- your skin is however it is. And then address the cause.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
I would suggest you read what people have used on earthclinic to help their skin. Nothing like reading about the true experiences of others. People are very kind and helpful there too. Organic apple cider vinegar is often used, often with baking soda and water. Or with blackstrap molasses, or coconut oil. One person that just started AVC with baking soda and water, commented their skin has a brightness and deweyness now. I think by reading what people have used you will learn what will work best for you. Often its a combination of things. Also I would begin taking Turmeric, it has many health benefits beyond just helping the skin. I use it everyday. It's an excellent and inexpensive herb. I buy online from Swanson, Puritan Pride also has good deals on herbs.

Beautiful Skin Remedies

Turmeric -- The Super Skincare Spice

Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 PM

309 posts, read 515,737 times
Do eat:
Leek soup, miso soup, soy milk, steamed cauliflower, whole grains like wheat berries, brown rice, wild rice, qinoa, lots of stir fry leafy greens (so they are flavorful, and not bland like those raw vegetables or boring lettuce), various colors of vegetables (black- seaweed, black beans, black sesame; white-cauliflower, daikon, coconut; orange...green...red...)

Eat much less of:
fried food, food with coloring, soda, preservatives, highly processed.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,034 times
^basically that. Also avoid dairy and sweets if you want clearer skin. Lots of veggies will help.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:45 AM

178 posts, read 355,411 times
For drinks: water, green tea, black tea, fresh fruit juices and fresh vegetable juices are very helpful in detoxifying the skin. Other than this foods like artichoke, lemon, pink grape fruit, water melon, red bell peppers, avocado, papaya, ginger and green leafy vegetables are the best detox foods that keep your skin healthy and radiant.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,536 times
Do a little research on Sangre de Drago, or Dragon's blood in English. It is the sap from a tree in the Amazonian rainforest and it is loaded with antioxidants and makes an amazing facial. Many people are using it for basically all skin conditions and I have friends using it daily as a facial mask and they love it. I do not sell it in the states, so you will have to research on where to get it. Even Angelina Jolie uses a makeup mostly containing dragon's blood and they even named it after the sap.

You can also take it internally for many other ailments, including IBS and internal infections, like Urinary tract infections.

Here is just a quick link about Sangre de Drago and its basic healing abilities. There have actually been studies done, but I don't have time to find them right now.

http://www.naturalbeautyworkshop.com...-de-drago.html

Okay, I had a few minutes to spare and did a quick search and found a lot of information on a Amazonian herb database website. It includes information about all the studies, both official and 3rd party.

http://www.rain-tree.com/sangre.htm#.UXsmP7Xn80k

Last edited by Alaskan_Adventurer; 04-26-2013 at 07:20 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,347 times
Lightbulb Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
Do a little research on Sangre de Drago, or Dragon's blood in English. It is the sap from a tree in the Amazonian rainforest and it is loaded with antioxidants and makes an amazing facial. Many people are using it for basically all skin conditions and I have friends using it daily as a facial mask and they love it. I do not sell it in the states, so you will have to research on where to get it. Even Angelina Jolie uses a makeup mostly containing dragon's blood and they even named it after the sap.

You can also take it internally for many other ailments, including IBS and internal infections, like Urinary tract infections.

Here is just a quick link about Sangre de Drago and its basic healing abilities. There have actually been studies done, but I don't have time to find them right now.

The Natural Beauty Workshop: Sangre de Drago

Thanks for the link.

I have not read it yet, but do you know if this plant is related to the aloe vera family? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine