Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,797,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
OK, so you admit you realize that there are alt med sites run by quacks out to sell useless cures and treatments. That they're taking advantage of the gullible, the desperate and the ignorant.

The Lipitor was affecting her mind?

Sorry you lost your mother. Cancer can be a bad one. I assume she saw a Oncologist and could not be helped.
Of course I "admit" that. I never once claimed otherwise. I simply don't buy that stuff and most of my altmed activities are confined to researching about herbs and supplements, working out the best diet and exercise program for me, and home remedies. On occasion I have bought a homeopathic remedy. The thing about quacks is that like prostitution, it's one of the world's oldest professions.

Yes it certainly seemed to be and it's one of the rare side effects except that its not so rare in my family since it happened to two other members of my family as well. Mom was dx'ed with cancer two weeks before her death and the mercy is that she had no pain and there was no treatment because it was too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Of course I "admit" that. I never once claimed otherwise. I simply don't buy that stuff and most of my altmed activities are confined to researching about herbs and supplements, working out the best diet and exercise program for me, and home remedies.
Home remedies such as herbs and supplements don't do much for things like cancer, Aids, Lupus and other chronic conditions.

Quote:
On occasion I have bought a homeopathic remedy. The thing about quacks is that like prostitution, it's one of the world's oldest professions.

Yes it certainly seemed to be and it's one of the rare side effects except that its not so rare in my family since it happened to two other members of my family as well. Mom was dx'ed with cancer two weeks before her death and the mercy is that she had no pain and there was no treatment because it was too late.
And no one noticed her mind was being affected by the suspected medication?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
See my other post.
I cannot imagine what you mean unless it's this and this doesn't come off sounding even remotely like a thank-you. It comes off kind of sour grapes b/c you didn't think I'd post it after you threw down the challenge.

Quote:
OK, now people can make it for themselves.
But now that you know that you can make it for yourself, will you?

Quote:
Home remedies such as herbs and supplements don't do much for things like cancer, Aids, Lupus and other chronic conditions.

And no one noticed her mind was being affected by the suspected medication?
How do you know they don't? Sloan Kettering has a big data-base of herb and supplement research and how it affects prevention, treatment, and palliative care for the side-effects of cancer treatments. It also discusses the use of herbs for other problems as well and as I'm sure even you agree, prevention is better than treating a major illness and that's usually what herbs and supplements are used for.

No one noticed at first b/c no one knew that she was taking it at first. Mom just filled the scrip and started taking the pills and never mentioned it and it only came to our attention b/c we had to start doing more things for her like paying bills and filling scrips. Even then we didn't make the connection until a family conversation was taking place about a couple of other relatives who were also having similar problems and all were on Lipitor. I don't totally think it was the meds but that's when the problems started for all 3 of them. And then we read the insert. . .

Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Psychopharmacology. My issue with psychotropic medication....see a psychiatrist, or even a general practitioner, heck, even PA and APRN's are giving out medication to treat depression like it is candy. And other issues...they do not take a blood test, to rule out organic reasons for "depression",...."tired, lethargic, sad"...which could be a number of physical aliments....like Anemia...instead of a handful of drugs, all a person needs is iron pills and vitamins C!

I am even more suspect when children are put on medication for "ADHD"....maybe they are just BORED! Or have high energy...so...that needs medication?

Okay, rant over...but please...consider anything before taking random drugs to treat "mental" issues.

I am not a doctor...and yes, some people do need drugs for some organic causes of depression...but at least, try something alternative before putting drugs in your body, that even doctors admit they don't know if they will help you....

Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I cannot imagine what you mean unless it's this and this doesn't come off sounding even remotely like a thank-you. It comes off kind of sour grapes b/c you didn't think I'd post it after you threw down the challenge.

But now that you know that you can make it for yourself, will you?
No, because I don't need it. Sour grapes? Not at all. I wanted to know what was in it - that's why I asked.

Quote:
How do you know they don't? Sloan Kettering has a big data-base of herb and supplement research and how it affects prevention, treatment, and palliative care for the side-effects of cancer treatments. It also discusses the use of herbs for other problems as well and as I'm sure even you agree, prevention is better than treating a major illness and that's usually what herbs and supplements are used for.
And you're claiming Sloan-Kettering is now using these herbs to treat and/or prevent cancer? Having a big database doesn't mean they're using the herbs on that base.

Quote:
No one noticed at first b/c no one knew that she was taking it at first. Mom just filled the scrip and started taking the pills and never mentioned it and it only came to our attention b/c we had to start doing more things for her like paying bills and filling scrips. Even then we didn't make the connection until a family conversation was taking place about a couple of other relatives who were also having similar problems and all were on Lipitor. I don't totally think it was the meds but that's when the problems started for all 3 of them. And then we read the insert. . .
From now on read the insert FIRST, before the med is taken. Make sure to tell your family members that. Don't blame the drug because these people didn't bother to read the inserts. And that goes for any herbs or alt med products. If there are no insert warnings, don't take it.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Psychopharmacology. My issue with psychotropic medication....see a psychiatrist, or even a general practitioner, heck, even PA and APRN's are giving out medication to treat depression like it is candy. And other issues...they do not take a blood test, to rule out organic reasons for "depression",...."tired, lethargic, sad"...which could be a number of physical aliments....like Anemia...instead of a handful of drugs, all a person needs is iron pills and vitamins C!
I don't know where you live or what kind of quack you went to. Your claim is hard to believe if you live in the USA. The Drs where I live take blood for testing first. When I went to see a Dr about being tired, lethargic, feeling cold, feeling down and either was sleepless or sleeping too much, gaining weight... that was the first thing he did - he ran blood tests. I was not handed anti-depression pills like candy. Your post is very misleading. It was found I was hypothyroid. Something I never suspected as no one else in my family has this condition. I was given thyroid medication and all was well. Anti-depressants weren't even suggested.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
OK, I"m feeling really bad about co-opting other folks posts about legit health concerns and getting into bashes with people about the efficacy of alternative vs allopathic medicine. There are those also who like to entertain themselves by popping into someone's thread to tell them what an idiot they are for believing that this could even help. Well let's stop doing that and discuss it here please. Now watch nothing happen lol. It will sink like a stone to the bottom of the CD heap but at least I tried.

So just to shake things up: I think Mercola is a genius. I think statins were invented by evil corporations to seduce the masses into believing that they can eat and drink anything as long as they swallow this little pill. Yikes here comes a rotten tomato.
I agree with you. Sorry.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I'm a big fan of alternative medicine (including diet and exercise), but I prefer mine with some scientific research for efficacy.

There is so much good data out there, WebMD and Mayo Clinic just to name a couple. They clearly state which alternative meds have gone through clinical trials, which look promising but need more study, and which have nothing to back them up.

It's really not that hard to find. Blindly following something is not really my style.

I used to be on another forum with a strong following of pro alternative medicine.... and THEY wouldn't let you post stuff without a credible back-up. The mods didn't have to edit you, the users would chase you off. Some were nurses, some doctors, and then the rest of us peons.

I gained a huge amount of good information from that site.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
From now on read the insert FIRST, before the med is taken. Make sure to tell your family members that. Don't blame the drug because these people didn't bother to read the inserts. And that goes for any herbs or alt med products. If there are no insert warnings, don't take it.
Look, this is a "duh" moment but I can't control what other people do. Besides, the insert lists the side effects and you won't know if you get SE until you get them and often the SE come on so gradually that folks don't know that it's the meds causing them and if it's affecting their brain they are even less aware that they're suffering from SE. Mom just thought she was getting old but when I found out she was on Lipitor, I did read the insert. See I can think for myself sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine