Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times

Advertisements

A brief description:

Molasses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was wondering if any of you have used blackstrap molasses?

Are there any health benefits to it?

I have heard through the years, that it is good for this or that. But, can't remember what exactly

However, I remember that it might be full of iron & minerals.

Have you taken it & for what purpose? Have you noticed a difference?

Any side effects?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 05:11 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Mom used to swear by it

I think when she felt tired she would take a spoonful

think also maybe infections, boils?

don't remember much except it tasted awful

Old 03-08-2013, 06:18 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
maybe there is sulfur in it for the skin healing? Dont remember if Mom mixed sulfur in it or not

Old 03-08-2013, 08:57 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
There are trace vitamins and minerals, so slightly more nutritious then refined sugars, as far as any medicinal purpose, nope. Blackstrap, mainly as cattle feed.

Molasses I like in cooking, cookies, pork, shoofly pie.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:55 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
I have blackstrap molasses on my whole grain pancakes every Sunday for iron.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I think I'm the only person I know who actually likes it and I used to take it to get my iron up but it is pretty high in sugar so may not be the best option unless you replace your sugar with it.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times
I used to be given this during childhood and I do not think it contributed to my health very much.That was in the 60s.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,344 times
When after back surgery I became anemic and the doc prescribed high dose iron, instead, I opted for the molasses and within a couple weeks, my anemia was gone. Easier on the digestive system and a good source of iron.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 PM

105 posts, read 129,839 times
I don't like the taste of straight-up molasses, but mix a spoonful in a mug of hot water and it's very tasty. Lots of iron, potassium, calcium...all leached out of the cane when they make white sugar.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 AM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Whenever I went "back home" (a cane sugar producing country) I would get a large bottle of molasses, I actually LOVE the taste (but beware of some brands that are too bitter because the "syrup" was left to burn...); over there everyone knows of its many benefits because people grew up around natural remedies so most don't have the negativity about them as it happens here in the U.S. The last time I got some it was a thicker version that came in a wide mouth jar and it listed all that it was recommended for, and since it doesn't pose any threat the worst that could happen is that not much happens at all, but I would doubt that since most people are low in essential minerals thanks to a) faulty diet b) them lacking in the soil to begin with.

Although it has traces of "some minerals" (lesser known ones...), BM is high in iron (25%)*, calcium (20%), [b]potassium[/B (20%] and magnesium (20%), it also contains significant amounts of copper, manganese, selenium, zinc and chromium, and better yet, unlike in many supplements, they are already in readily absorbable forms. Therefore, it's an excellent "home remedy" for iron-dependent anemia, lots of women swear they've healed from fibroid tumors, some even claim that it has restored their hair to original color. I always have a jar at home, but I buy "unsulphured" because it's said that the sulphur used is just for the refining process of sugar and not a naturally occurring compound, besides I read somewhere that it could thin the blood too much so it would be counterproductive for women with excessive bleeding due to fibroids. I haven't been using it too often lately because I was trying to avoid most sugars, but when I was, my fingernails, which are now in a pitiful state, were getting much stronger. I'm think it's worth the trade-off and this thread is motivating me to take it regularly again!
*of MDR

Here's a couple of good pages about blackstrap molasses:

15 Health Benefits of Blackstrap Molasses

Molasses Cures

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine