Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 01:42 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,064,325 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion on this latest fad? Does it work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 03:28 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,773,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
It's not the latest fad unless there's something new that I don't know about. My doctor suggested it to me many years ago. If someone needs to eliminate toxins, it seems to be the way to do it. Fruit or vegetable juices are supposed to be cleansing in that they give the liver a chance to rest and not deal with greasy foods or junk foods or anything else that would make it work harder. At the same time, the juices add nourishment.

My doctor suggested carrot juice mixed with water because the sugar in plain carrot juice would make it too high in sugar. I'm not an expert though and I only got about half way though the day due to hunger--it's not for everyone. There are other people on here who know more than I do about juice fasting.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:40 PM

52 posts, read 58,021 times
I think juicers are useless because they discard the pulp which contains most of the nutrients, so its better to just eat the fruits and vegetables whole. Or use something like the Nutribullet that is powerful enough to liquify everything including the pulp.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solareclipse View Post
I think juicers are useless because they discard the pulp which contains most of the nutrients, so its better to just eat the fruits and vegetables whole. Or use something like the Nutribullet that is powerful enough to liquify everything including the pulp.
I don't think they're useless but I know what you mean. Fresh fruit juice is good for you, as far as I know--orange juice, apple juice, carrot juice. Better would be something that didn't waste so much of the nutrients, something like a vitamix or a (Nutibullet?) or maybe even just a blender.

If you are doing a 24 hour fast and trying to detox and give your body a rest, maybe simple juice would be better as it would put almost no strain on your digestive system. For long term use, I think a machine that retained more of the nutrients is better.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:39 AM

52 posts, read 58,021 times
Juicing is faster than eating which may be the main reason people like to do it. Drinking carrot juice is a lot faster than eating a carrot. So you're right its not useless but you could be missing a lot of nutrition by leaving out the skin and pulp. The juice without the pulp is mostly the natural water content. The Vitamix does a good job if you don't mind the size. I like the Nutribullet because of the compactness. I have used both.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:46 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
I make "shots" with my juicer. Lots of herbs, spinach and other greens. My body does better with a LOT of veggies/fruit so it's a good way for me to get extra vitamins/antioxidants. It will taste horrible, but just doing a few shots a day isn't bad.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-05-2013, 03:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,837,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solareclipse View Post
Drinking carrot juice is a lot faster than eating a carrot.
Not even close.

Moderator cut: This is not a contest about which is faster. Off topic.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-05-2013 at 04:32 PM..

Old 05-06-2013, 02:51 PM

219 posts, read 332,355 times
FlowerPower00, are you referring to a juice fast? I had not heard of this until my cousin tried it a few months ago. Against my recommendations, he tried it for a month and 2 weeks into it, he actually lost consciousness while lifting weights.

Taking in vegetable and fruit juices is great. Americans take in way too much protein/fat and not enough fruits/vegetables. The juice fast to me sounds similar to being a vegetarian and probably has similar health benefits and concerns. I do agree with what some of the others have said in that it is probably better to eat the fruits and vegetables whole.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,027,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Does it work for what exactly? If you're even somewhat reasonably healthy your liver and kidneys cleanse themselves. And without tests, how would you know what to "cleanse" or "detox" for or what to use?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Does it work for what exactly? If you're even somewhat reasonably healthy your liver and kidneys cleanse themselves. And without tests, how would you know what to "cleanse" or "detox" for or what to use?
From what I've always read and heard (as old timey remedies) and from a doctor, a fast is beneficial in the spring time to give your body a rest after all the heavy fatty foods most of us in the north have to eat during the winter. In these cold climates a lot of us would get weak and sick if we didn't eat some stick to your ribs type of food.

People used to eat dandelion greens in the spring as a tonic and cleanser, it's a bitter green supposed to be good for the liver and the liver is involved in cleansing and detoxifying.

So a juicing fast would be another method of giving your body a chance to cleanse. Animals, when they are sick stop eating and people need to take a break too. Some people can do it for a few days but my doctor told me to only do it for one day. If you did it for more than a few days I would think you would become very weak and you wouldn't be getting your proper nutrition. With all the junk food that people eat these days and living in air that's not always too clean, I think a short fast would be a good idea but it's up to the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine