Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 04:35 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solareclipse View Post
I think juicers are useless because they discard the pulp which contains most of the nutrients, so its better to just eat the fruits and vegetables whole. Or use something like the Nutribullet that is powerful enough to liquify everything including the pulp.
I agree with this.

I have a Nutribullet and I love it. I'm consuming stuff I wouldn't normally eat whole, like kale and beets. And I want the fiber. Juicing is good from what I hear. I just don't own a juicer. Not in a hurry to get one, really.

This broth "cleanse" is also pretty good.

Tosca Reno: Broth Cleanse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 05:07 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We found out years later that it was DDT they were spraying--and it went all over our huge vegetable garden too--our food source all summer and in the canned and frozen versions, all winter.

Things like that accumulate and your body can get to the point where it is overloaded-- and I am not making this up and no juicing company ever told me to drink juices.
Your terminology is odd to someone who worked in the medical and veterinary fields. Some toxins do accumulate such as DDT. But you don't get overloaded, as if you did, like an insect or bug, you would die or become very sick. Your body will detox and dump as much as is possible if the substance is one it can detox. What's left, as in the case of DDT, is stored.

Quote:
In my case, my doctor said that I should try to detoxify.
A Lic medical Dr suggested you try to detoxify? What did the tests he/she ran showed accumulated in your body? Lead? DDT? PBAs? If he was a medical DR he would know you can't flush out DDT with juice, water or anything you can eat or drink.

Quote:
That my liver and kidneys were probably overloaded.
With what? What did he say was overloading them? Stored toxins don't effect the liver and kidneys. They detox each day what you take in. What you took in in the past is either gone already or stored.

Quote:
I was not specifically told to drink juices but I was told to eat green leafy vegetables because they are good for the liver--which does much of the detoxifying. I was told to not eat foods that would be hard on the liver: anything greasy or heavy.
A good site to learn a little about the liver:
http://www.hepatitis.va.gov/patient/...ingle-page.asp also covers some liver diseases.

Quote:
I was also given a list of supplements--like vitamin C and told to steer clear of toxic chemicals like a lot of the household cleaning products and even common things that I was using like hair sprays. It was a lifestyle change and a diet change. I was told by the doctor that I could do a fast if I wanted to---carrot juice diluted with water so that it wouldn't be so high in sugar.

I would trust my own doctors and the other doctors who helped me. They have the education and experience.
Is he/she a Lic Medical Dr (MD) or an alt practitioner?

We should all try and avoid chemicals as much as possible. Those thought safe today can be found to cause cancer tomorrow.........

Old 05-10-2013, 06:08 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Your terminology is odd to someone who worked in the medical and veterinary fields. Some toxins do accumulate such as DDT. But you don't get overloaded, as if you did, like an insect or bug, you would die or become very sick. Your body will detox and dump as much as is possible if the substance is one it can detox. What's left, as in the case of DDT, is stored.

A Lic medical Dr suggested you try to detoxify? What did the tests he/she ran showed accumulated in your body? Lead? DDT? PBAs? If he was a medical DR he would know you can't flush out DDT with juice, water or anything you can eat or drink.

With what? What did he say was overloading them? Stored toxins don't effect the liver and kidneys. They detox each day what you take in. What you took in in the past is either gone already or stored.

A good site to learn a little about the liver:
Understanding the Liver: Entire Lesson - Hepatitis C also covers some liver diseases.

Is he/she a Lic Medical Dr (MD) or an alt practitioner?

We should all try and avoid chemicals as much as possible. Those thought safe today can be found to cause cancer tomorrow.........
Well I don't think my liver was up to the job anymore. I did almost die, I was VERY sick. I survived from day to day.

I don't think I so much flushed anything out as I ate right to build up my liver with lots of greens and clear broths. I also got allergy shots, avoided harmful chemicals (I could tell what was harmful personally because they made me sick or in my case from being exposed to oil fumes, I would break out in a contact rash if I touched soft plastics which I learned was a sensitivity to petrochemicals.)

She said toxins were stored in the fat, she did not say they were stored in the liver. I don't know where you are getting these misconceptions. She said you can sweat it out, you can even use a sauna if you want to but to make sure you ate right/took supplements or something before and after a sauna session--this was many years ago so I don't completely remember.

My doctor was a She and she was/is a regular MD and an allergist who got sick from formaldehyde back in medical school when she had to work in a lab. Most doctors wouldn't have bothered to investigate and learn too much of anything new because they don't need to. In this case, she got sick and so it was in her own interest to figure it out, which she did, to a large extent. Physician: heal thyself. That sort of thing. She did get herself back into good health and then she helped others who had chemical exposures.

If people want to discuss juicing, then go ahead. I have not done juicing except for making smoothies in my vitamix--and no one told me to. So all this talk about me is off topic and any more posts about me (which must be getting pretty boring by now) will be deleted. Posts that pertain to juicing, especially those that have something to say rather than just being negative, will remain.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-16-2013 at 12:10 PM..

Old 05-10-2013, 08:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
What is your opinion on this latest fad? Does it work?
Six days ago - the OP posted the above. The OP hasn't yet returned to answer any of the questions that anyone here has asked. My #1 question is "what do you mean by "this latest fad?" If there is a link to a specific juicing fast the OP is talking about, I think we'd all be in a much better position to offer an opinion, if we knew which one it was. If the OP is talking about juicing in general, then the OP needs to understand that it is neither new, nor a fad, that juicing is one method of ingesting raw foods, and the "raw food movement" and even macrobiotic eaters have been including juicing in their diets for decades. If the OP means existing on juices exclusively, then yes - it's a fad. If the OP means specifically fruit juices - then yes, it's a fad, and a dangerous one.

So really - it makes a huge difference what the OP means. I really hope he/she returns to answer that question. It might make things a lot more clear to everyone.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
OP all I can do is tell you what I did and you can draw your own conclusions.

I just started a fifteen day juice fast today. A few months ago, I did a ten day juice fast. It was a terrific experience and I am looking forward to doing it again for the next two weeks.

The first day was easy - everything was novel and interesting. The second day was the toughest - I had a headache all day. The third day I relented and took a Tylenol for the headache and it worked. Sometime in the early afternoon of the third day a surge of energy hit me - I mean it was sudden and palpable. I felt immediately TERRIFIC. That feeling lasted the entire rest of the fast.

I ate no solid foods that entire time - and did 70 percent veggies and 30 percent fruits. For the most part, my concoctions (that I mostly made up) were really good. I was literally NOT HUNGRY FOR ONE MINUTE the entire time.

By the sixth day, I could tell a difference in my skin and in my mental sharpness. I was sleeping like a baby - some of the best sleep I've ever had.

I lost a pound a day, by the way.

By Day 8 I was getting bored with juices though. I really wanted to EAT something - anything. But I was committed and I stuck with it and didn't ever regret it. I learned a lot about myself and self control during that fast.

I was never dizzy or weak, and never hungry. My body seemed very happy with the program.

The weight doesn't stay off, of course, if you go right back to your regular habits. I kept about 5 pounds of it off (lost ten).

Oh, and I cheated the entire time - I allowed myself a glass of wine each evening. Wine is from fruit, right? LOL

I am really excited about starting it again, this time for fifteen days. I had absolutely ZERO negative effects last time, other than the temporary headache from caffeine/white sugar withdrawal. I loved the results and my body, especially my skin and digestive tract and brain, reacted very well and never felt better.

And that's the truth.

Oh and I took no supplements. I bought a juicer, googled juice recipes, made sure I had a 70/30 veggie/fruit ratio, treated myself to a glass of vino each night, and that was it - low tech and terrific. I don't know if I was "detoxed" or not, but my digestive tract and skin sure did feel like it.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:38 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,555 times
I mentioned all of the fiber and pulp getting thrown away with juicing, in a past post, but it got lost in that obnoxious ***** fight over the liver.

Can someone please explain why so much fiber and pulp is thrown away when juicing? Is this supposed to accomplish something? I only use a blender, so all of the nutrients and fiber get blended in and consumed.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I mentioned all of the fiber and pulp getting thrown away with juicing, in a past post, but it got lost in that obnoxious ***** fight over the liver.

Can someone please explain why so much fiber and pulp is thrown away when juicing? Is this supposed to accomplish something? I only use a blender, so all of the nutrients and fiber get blended in and consumed.
I don't actually think that there's so much to necessarily gain by throwing away the pulp - though with a good juicer you do still end up with quite a bit of fiber.

Not to sound gross, but when I did the ten day juicing a few months ago, I continued to have (I hate to talk about this but let's just get it out there) errrrr, REGULAR bowel movements. The juices from my juicer tend to be very thick and you can actually see fibers in the juice from some fruits and veggies.

I am pretty sure you could eat fruit and veggies and get similar results, but here's what I notice about juicing - let's just take today's breakfast as an example. I had the juice from two apples, two oranges, a handful of mini carrots, and a handful of grapes. WOW. Talk about an injection of energy! There is no way I could have physically eaten all that food.

For dinner tonight, I am going to make a juice from two medium tomatoes, a lime, an avocado, a leaf or two of kale, fresh cilantro and fresh parsley from my herb garden, two green onions with stems, and half a jalapeno pepper. Oh and salt and pepper and maybe a dash of tabasco sauce. This juice will be thick and creamy and LOADED with flavor. But I would be so full if I sat down and tried to eat all that - not to mention that the flavors wouldn't be blended together.

It's like the juice just jumps right into your veins. I don't know any better way to describe it (I know that's not scientific - it's just how it feels).

I would worry more about fiber if I wasn't having regular, errr, movements that seem completely normal (after the first couple of days - at first your body is in shock with the change and you can have a wide range of...experiences). Also - word of warning for your first solid meal after a juice fest - stay close to a bathroom for a couple of hours!

Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I am pretty sure you could eat fruit and veggies and get similar results, but here's what I notice about juicing - let's just take today's breakfast as an example. I had the juice from two apples, two oranges, a handful of mini carrots, and a handful of grapes. WOW. Talk about an injection of energy! There is no way I could have physically eaten all that food.
Perhaps nature didn't intend for you to consume that much food at one time. Just sayin'......

Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Perhaps nature didn't intend for you to consume that much food at one time. Just sayin'......
Maybe, maybe not. But one thing I know for sure - most of us don't eat in the percentages that nature intended!

Also - if you add up all the calories of all the fruit and veggies I'm drinking each day, it's far below what I usually consume.

I think "pigging out" temporarily (a few days or a couple of weeks) on fruit and veggies beats the heck out of pigging out on the junk most of us usually eat. I doubt that drinking fresh juice from fresh fruits and veggies for a few days is going to hurt me.

For the record, I would not do a juice fast for more than two weeks without a doctor's supervision. And I do not have any health issues that would preclude or complicate a juice fast for a couple of weeks (such as diabetes, heart issues, pregnancy, etc.) I enjoy good health overall.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Do you really think that two apples, two oranges, a handful of mini carrots, and a handful of grapes is too much food to consume at one time, by the way? I mean, I would feel FULL after all that but as far as actually being "too much at one time," it doesn't seem like it's extravagant. The calorie count is only about 500 calories. That's not a crazy amount of calories for breakfast - or any meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine