Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 11:18 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,370,447 times

Advertisements

I was watching some show tonight, about this overly neurotic woman (who was obviously OCD, not just for her excessive cleanliness, but her extreme fixation on germs) hired some crew to look at the places she went to, which she was taking a vacation. The husband seemed to be "loving" this, and her two children seemed completely indifferent.

They found hand sanitizers did actually kill 99.9% of bacteria.

They found the damp cloth used to wipe the tables (that she was sure might have fecal matter on it), wasn't half as germy as the tray.

They found that the bed she was phobic about at hotels (she was about ready to decide it was too dangerous, and better to stay home), was actually just as bad as her bed which she'd cleaned like the crazy woman she is.

And they found that the dirtiest area of all, was her son's hand (which he stuck in his mouth alot).

Do I believe that disease can spread? Do I think bacteria can have an impact on health? Absolutely.

But it's only half right. I don't only believe in germ theory, but what I like to call wellness theory (probably been coined by someone else for some other meaning).

How is it that during this entire time, this kid with 24m germs on his hand, who kept sticking it in his mouth, appeared perfectly healthy? And how is it that people who live in perfectly sterile homes can develop allergies?

Do you get cancer from germs? No (you get it from radiation, certain substances, and particularly from processed food). Diabetes? No (studies show links between trans fats, HFCS, and nitrates, and certain other products that are non-digestible that halt the system, and the occurrence of diabetes). What about heart disease (the jury is split between blaming saturated fats, and saying they're actually good for you and that margarine is the culprit, but in any case it's not from germs)? Nope, there too.

Whenever there's an outbreak, people tend to study why those sick people got sick. They should study the people who fought it off. Why? Because they have healthy immune systems. They don't sleep too little, get themselves run down, eat nothing but chicken or some other strange fad diet. They take care of themselves, drink plenty of water (which also has loads of bacteria, parasites, and protozoans but is effective in diluting harmful substances), etc.

Okay, now let's look at germs, since that's where we started.

The body has "germs" all over it naturally. Only, they aren't germs, they're symbiotic bacteria, like those we eat in yogurt and kimchi. These help the body fight off illness (and unlike antibiotics, they don't cause strange conditions like sensitivity to sunlight). There are some in the lining of the stomach (this is also where rennet comes from, in cows). When the body is healthy, these guys are healthy. When the body is unhealthy, or if you kill all of them with anitbacterials in attempt to rid yourself of disease, whatever's leftover will reproduce. That means, a person sneezes on you, yeah, you get a full-blown cold because it took over.

So that kid wiping his hands down with sanitizer? He just removed his immune system, and his (horrible) mother left him open to disease. Okay, imagine this, a hand filled with healthy bacteria, sprayed off with some sanitizer. Then the kid goes to the toilet, and wipes. Wonder what is now covering his hand?

So, why should we care? Because Pasteur's method of processing food routinely leaves items like milk without their natural flora which the body needs to stay healthy! All so food can supposedly have a longer shelf life.

It doesn't. Raw milk due to it's flora can actually remain unrefrigerated for longer!

Btw, Pasteur was a hack who often faked his results. And even if he didn't, that famed broth experiment where he killed off all the bacteria? All that tested was that heat can kill bacteria, and that bacteria once exposed to a site (for example, your hand) becomes infested with that bacteria. What he didn't test was having both an untreated and a treated broth tipped over to see which one turns more quickly. So now, we get to live with this, with crazed neurotic people like this woman, and with overbearing govt that bans something perfectly healthy (btw, not just milk, but most fruit juices are also given this treatment, forget that, squeeze your own) while additives have to be given to various foods to make them taste better because heat-blasting them has made them tasteless, and nobody bats an eye at that.

Lady, get a grip. Take your kids on vacation. Even if you take them to a farm, and they wade through cowpies, if they eat healthy, exercise well, and don't do all-nighters (like I routinely do), they're unlikely to get sick. Especially not from their own bacteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 09:32 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,503,425 times
This is the reason I DON'T get a flu shot (I'm 57) --- I want to see, and know, how 'healthy' my immune system is (by itself). If I do get the flu, or flu symptoms, I know I need to 'invest in' or 'work on' my immune system.

This is also interesting - how we try to 'improve' things, but it doesn't always work the way we think (or are taught):
Research has shown that when bacteria were inoculated on both wooden and polymer boards, bacterial recoveries from wooden boards generally were less than those from plastic boards, regardless of new or used status (Ak et al., 1994a). These authors found no differences between wood types (basswood, birch, maple, maple plus walnut).
Bacteria on Cutting Boards

Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 AM

37,485 posts, read 61,459,729 times
I attend a few 'alternative' health workshops every year. They routinely include 'regular doctors' as well as Oncologists, Naturopaths and herbalists.

The only person that these guys recommend sanitizers for is health care professionals.

If you deal with 30 sick patients / day, then you need to focus on killing every germ and virus.

However for 99% of the population, it is the opposite.

We need a healthy immune system and that means that it needs to get exercise.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,010,713 times
But were the child's hands covered with the type of bacteria that cause disease or the benign type? Did he have e.coli, salmonella and the flesh eating plague type on his hands?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,237,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I was watching some show tonight, about this overly neurotic woman (who was obviously OCD, not just for her excessive cleanliness, but her extreme fixation on germs) hired some crew to look at the places she went to, which she was taking a vacation. The husband seemed to be "loving" this, and her two children seemed completely indifferent.

They found hand sanitizers did actually kill 99.9% of bacteria.

They found the damp cloth used to wipe the tables (that she was sure might have fecal matter on it), wasn't half as germy as the tray.

They found that the bed she was phobic about at hotels (she was about ready to decide it was too dangerous, and better to stay home), was actually just as bad as her bed which she'd cleaned like the crazy woman she is.

And they found that the dirtiest area of all, was her son's hand (which he stuck in his mouth alot).

Do I believe that disease can spread? Do I think bacteria can have an impact on health? Absolutely.

But it's only half right. I don't only believe in germ theory, but what I like to call wellness theory (probably been coined by someone else for some other meaning).

How is it that during this entire time, this kid with 24m germs on his hand, who kept sticking it in his mouth, appeared perfectly healthy? And how is it that people who live in perfectly sterile homes can develop allergies?

Do you get cancer from germs? No (you get it from radiation, certain substances, and particularly from processed food). Diabetes? No (studies show links between trans fats, HFCS, and nitrates, and certain other products that are non-digestible that halt the system, and the occurrence of diabetes). What about heart disease (the jury is split between blaming saturated fats, and saying they're actually good for you and that margarine is the culprit, but in any case it's not from germs)? Nope, there too.

Whenever there's an outbreak, people tend to study why those sick people got sick. They should study the people who fought it off. Why? Because they have healthy immune systems. They don't sleep too little, get themselves run down, eat nothing but chicken or some other strange fad diet. They take care of themselves, drink plenty of water (which also has loads of bacteria, parasites, and protozoans but is effective in diluting harmful substances), etc.

Okay, now let's look at germs, since that's where we started.

The body has "germs" all over it naturally. Only, they aren't germs, they're symbiotic bacteria, like those we eat in yogurt and kimchi. These help the body fight off illness (and unlike antibiotics, they don't cause strange conditions like sensitivity to sunlight). There are some in the lining of the stomach (this is also where rennet comes from, in cows). When the body is healthy, these guys are healthy. When the body is unhealthy, or if you kill all of them with anitbacterials in attempt to rid yourself of disease, whatever's leftover will reproduce. That means, a person sneezes on you, yeah, you get a full-blown cold because it took over.

So that kid wiping his hands down with sanitizer? He just removed his immune system, and his (horrible) mother left him open to disease. Okay, imagine this, a hand filled with healthy bacteria, sprayed off with some sanitizer. Then the kid goes to the toilet, and wipes. Wonder what is now covering his hand?

So, why should we care? Because Pasteur's method of processing food routinely leaves items like milk without their natural flora which the body needs to stay healthy! All so food can supposedly have a longer shelf life.

It doesn't. Raw milk due to it's flora can actually remain unrefrigerated for longer!

Btw, Pasteur was a hack who often faked his results. And even if he didn't, that famed broth experiment where he killed off all the bacteria? All that tested was that heat can kill bacteria, and that bacteria once exposed to a site (for example, your hand) becomes infested with that bacteria. What he didn't test was having both an untreated and a treated broth tipped over to see which one turns more quickly. So now, we get to live with this, with crazed neurotic people like this woman, and with overbearing govt that bans something perfectly healthy (btw, not just milk, but most fruit juices are also given this treatment, forget that, squeeze your own) while additives have to be given to various foods to make them taste better because heat-blasting them has made them tasteless, and nobody bats an eye at that.

Lady, get a grip. Take your kids on vacation. Even if you take them to a farm, and they wade through cowpies, if they eat healthy, exercise well, and don't do all-nighters (like I routinely do), they're unlikely to get sick. Especially not from their own bacteria.
Wow.....

So many misconceptions so little time.

Lets start with the big ones..."germs" as you are referring to them are pathogenic bacteria, big difference between them and "normal gut flora"

By the way, what covers most peoples hands are not the same as symbiotic gut flora, by and large they are pathogens like staph and strep and fecal contaminants like e.coli, all of which can and do cause disease. If you are advocating NOT washing hands particularly after going to the bathroom then YOU are the horrible mother....

News flash, whether that "kid" uses hand sanitizer before going to the bathroom or not, if he doesn't wash his hands AFTER he STILL will have fecal contaminants, IE E. Coli and other nasty gram negative bacteria. Skin isn't like the gut, there is always room for more bacteria and whether your hands were "disinfected" before wiping or not there is always room to transport pathogens.

(by the way you listed several conditions that have NOTHING to do with bacteria as if that proves something? Also while you are apparently only referring to "germs" as bacteria, it is worth noting that another type of "germ" AKA "viruses" are in fact implicated in certain cancers)

Apparently the point(?) of this (dis)information was to discredit Louis Pasteur...

But you use a whale.to reference?? THE most ludicrous crack pot website in existence???

Nice try...

Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,808,668 times
I invoke Scopie's Law.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM

639 posts, read 1,124,704 times
This woman obviously had a true phobia to germs. In her case she needs psychiatric help, which can easily solve the problem since phobias are easy to treat.

As for our society being too clean, this is what I believe:
Hygiene Hypothesis: information about the hygiene hypothesis and worm therapy and its practial application to human health. Includes links to other information sources and to providers of worm therapy.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,724,063 times
I don't know if I agree with that article or not but I do think that too many people today exhibit this "germ phobia" and it's not a good thing. There are people who make others take off their shoes to enter the house so they don't track in "germs."

So, you take your shoes off but you're going around barefoot on their floors! Picking up who knows what? athlete's foot comes to mind. Infections. We wear something on our feet for a good reason. If they're removing shoes to avoid tracking in mud or real dirt, that's a different story but to avoid germs??

Thinking back to when I was a teacher, when I took a few years off and then went back again, I got really sick for a few days. The consensus was that I had lost my immunity. I agree. If you're not exposed to things your body forgets how to fight them off. My old time childhood doctor even used to say that the body learns how to heal itself by experiencing the childhood illnesses. The body will never get the chance to learn if it's constantly protected and overly sanitized.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,010,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
.....So, you take your shoes off but you're going around barefoot on their floors! Picking up who knows what? athlete's foot comes to mind......
And hookworm if you venture outdoors barefoot.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,813,270 times
I've heard that protecting your children from germs too much is not a good idea b/c they're thinking that allergies and asthma and perhaps autoimmune disorders can be caused by too clean of an environment. I don't think this makes Pasteur a fraud though--he simply was breaking new ground and had no way to predict some people were going to go over the top with their germ phobia.

Also, at the time that they started to pasteurize milk, it needed to be b/c the cows were often quite unhealthy and the sanitary conditions of the barns were abysmal. I read somewhere that a common feed for the dairy cows around NYC in early 1900's was spent mash from the distilleries, which would be somewhat like feeding them straw--there was no nutrition there. So of course they needed to pasteurize that mess--unhealthy cows raised in overcrowded filthy conditions did not make milk fit for human consumption. We still have those conditions to some extent--not quite as bad but there are still the problems of having too many cows in one place and BST and not enough pasture, so it needs to be done. I do believe that raw milk from healthy grass fed cows is the best option but not one easy to obtain b/c the govt doesn't want to do the oversight. None of this makes pasteur wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine