Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 09:17 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

A relative has a recipe that she is making in the crock pot. The person who told her about it was the man who came to her house to help her choose her Medicare plan. He said this cleared out his arteries. His wife is from Thailand and you get the ingredients at an Asian store.

So--it's ginger root, Chinese wood ear mushroom, and red dates.

Mostly I researched the mushrooms and there are studies that show they lower LDL. Also an anticoagulant.
Improves circulation and increases blood flow to the brain. B vitamins, copper, omega fatty acids, anti inflammatory, lipid reducing, keeps cholesterol down, prevents plaque buildup.

Another study: adenosine content affects blood clotting, blood platelet aggregation. Has polysaccharides that have an effect on coagulation, platelet aggregation. 1 gram of dried wood mushroom has 154 mcg of adenosine. Mannose, glucose, glucuronic acid & xylose inhibit platelet aggregation and clotting.

Anyone have any experience with anything like this?

My relative's husband had a stroke and she wants to put him on this and get him off the statins.

My husband was on statins and blood pressure medication and had a stroke a few days ago so I'm wondering if this concoction might be better for him. In his case it's been blood clots last time and this time. He takes a baby aspirin but apparently that's not enough or not the right thing. I'm scared to take him off what he's been on and I wouldn't want him on baby aspirin AND the wood mushroom at the same time--too much blood thinning. There is no one to ask because doctors don't know, pharmacist doesn't know either.

I do not want a statin debate, just any helpful analysis or input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 09:23 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I am sorry to hear your hubby had a stroke. Tell him to do all the PT he can, it really does help regain mobility & movement. And continue to exercise when his insurance won't pay for any more. I had a stroke 15 years ago, & was in a rehab for a month, & upon discharge did Pt as an outpatient, & when that stopped, I went to the senior center to do exercises, it all helped me, I can walk & talk normally.

I prefer to stick with conventional medications, I don't trust a lot of the homeopathic ones, as I am not sure if the dosage is regulated.

Best wishes.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:51 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My husband was on statins and blood pressure medication and had a stroke a few days ago so I'm wondering if this concoction might be better for him. In his case it's been blood clots last time and this time. He takes a baby aspirin but apparently that's not enough or not the right thing. I'm scared to take him off what he's been on and I wouldn't want him on baby aspirin AND the wood mushroom at the same time--too much blood thinning. There is no one to ask because doctors don't know, pharmacist doesn't know either.
Not sure. A couple of thoughts.

- Do you know what blood type your husband is? Certain blood types are known to have more clotting issues than others. O has less. So if your has A it might be something you can go after more aggressively. It might also explain why a baby aspirin might not have worked.

- What about Water. I was under the impression that dehydration contributed to thicker blood and clotting. Hydration reduces clots. One reason they tell you to make sure your hydrated on a long flight to avoid a blood clot.

- What about blood donating? I was under the impression that donating blood thins your blood and has been proven to reduce heart attack and stroke. It forces your body to make new red blood cells which are younger and more flexible.

- Fasting has been shown to reduce blood thickness. If you are on blood thinners and you begin fasting you are supposed to tell your doctor as your medication will need to be adjusted.

- Has your husband ever had his fibrinogen level tested? That gives an idea of how likely the blood is to clot. I had mine done and it was normal but had risen from the last time I had it done.

- You apparently can tell how thick your blood is by looking at Red blood cells and Hemo-crit. The more Red blood cells you have the thicker the blood, and Hemo-crit generally shouldn't be over 42 for a guy. For every 10% increase in Hemo-crit there is a 25% increase in blood viscosity. You can also have blood viscosity tested by a test, I think Lab Corp does it.

I read a really good book on this subject called the blood thinner cure. (actually someone nicely summarized it in the comments on amazon) but the author ended up dying from a blood bleed in the brain. I suspect this was due to him going at his own plan too aggressively. There is also a very good you tube presentation on "blood viscosity" I can't remember the name of the presentation but that one told me an amazing thing... that increased body temp also lessens clotting (perhaps why exercise works).

There are natural things that are "blood thinners" but I am hesitant to deal with them not knowing how much they could effect me.

- Turmeric
- IP6 and Intosol.
- Grape Seed Extract.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:55 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,056 times
I've read that nattokinase can help clear arteries of plaque, and also helps with keeping blood clots from forming. I have no direct experience but have read that for blood pressure to replace statins, you could try red yeast rice (has a natural statin). I've also read that celery seed extract is helpful, and also anti-ACE peptides.

In the "Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine" Drs. Murray and Pizzorno recommend CoQ10 200-300 mg/day, anti-ACE peptides from bonito 1500 mg/day, and one of the following: hawthorn extract 100-250 mg 3x/day, olive leaf extract 500 mg 2x/day, or hibiscus tea 3 cups per day. Also vit. C, garlic, magnesium citrate, and omega-3s.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:28 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,103,000 times
Quote:
I do not want a statin debate, just any helpful analysis or input.
Afraid I dont know much about the chinese formula, maybe it works.

I would avoid statins IF possible, but maybe required while the person tries to get their cholesterol under control. I would recommend investing in a blood pressure device to monitor blood pressure.

-For blood clots, cleaning arteries, and blood thinning -Neprinol or Natto

-Collagen 1 and 3 powder for repairing arteries and removing plaque - Sports Research is a good brand. Good idea for anyone over 30.

-K2 supplement to get calcium out of your arteries - Innovix or LEF(K2 +E) - I think you could remove this once things are good, better multivitamins have some K2.

-E + fish oil(up to 4 grams of omegas) for blood thinning - E will keep the fish oil from oxidizing. 1 gram of omegas is good for everyone, essential nutrient
Jarrow family E(if you dont do the LEF Combo above) and Nordic naturals are good choices. I prefer liquid fish oil so you know if it is good.

-Magnesium is needed for good circulation, most people are deficient. Only small amounts in a multi(i would still take one though).

If fish oil doesnt take care of the cholesterol
Bergamot for cholesterol - Jarrow

At the very least, I bet you will be able to lower the statin dosage, statins lower COQ10 if they have to stay on one.

Of course exercise and good diet would really help, especially avoiding fried food/sugar

Last edited by Rom623; 10-13-2020 at 07:41 PM..

Old 10-13-2020, 08:25 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
I would strongly recommend not using alternative medicine for someone who has already had a stroke. The result could be catastrophic.

When you buy a herbal product in the US you never know what you are getting, and potency may vary greatly from batch to batch. Certainly do not add anything with anticoagulant properties to prescription blood thinners.

https://www.heartandstroke.ca/heart-...anticoagulants

Old 10-13-2020, 08:51 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I would strongly recommend not using alternative medicine for someone who has already had a stroke. The result could be catastrophic.

When you buy a herbal product in the US you never know what you are getting, and potency may vary greatly from batch to batch. Certainly do not add anything with anticoagulant properties to prescription blood thinners.

https://www.heartandstroke.ca/heart-...anticoagulants
No, I only thought about it for my husband for about five minutes. His condition is way too serious for experimentation. They have increased his medication at the hospital and that's about the best we can do except maybe to make him give up high fat milk. He eats well, his BMI is 22.20, and what's wrong with him was probably caused by many years of smoking when he was younger.

I don't know what my relative is going to do. She wants to experiment and I have sent her the results of studies on each of the ingredients of her recipe. She did make some in the crockpot and is going to try in on herself but she's never had a stroke. She has high blood pressure though, maybe somewhat high cholesterol, I don't know.

I am interested in these potential treatments just for the sake of it and because I read so many negative things about statins. But when someone is older and is in bad shape, it's not the time to mess around with treatments that are not well understood. I do hope though, that researchers will keep looking into these age old remedies.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:54 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,103,000 times
There are doctors who are more integrative in practice who will work with you to lower your medication. But whatever you do, even if you do nothing, I would get a blood pressure device so you can self monitor.

I had a co-worker on a similar vitamin regimen and he had stopped monitoring his blood pressure. About 6 months after his heart attack, he got up too fast from his chair one day at work and nearly collapsed. He had improved so much, his blood pressure medication was too strong. His doctor was really surprised at his progress and lowered the dosage, but still a scary moment.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:58 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
No, I only thought about it for my husband for about five minutes. His condition is way too serious for experimentation. They have increased his medication at the hospital and that's about the best we can do except maybe to make him give up high fat milk. He eats well, his BMI is 22.20, and what's wrong with him was probably caused by many years of smoking when he was younger.

I don't know what my relative is going to do. She wants to experiment and I have sent her the results of studies on each of the ingredients of her recipe. She did make some in the crockpot and is going to try in on herself but she's never had a stroke. She has high blood pressure though, maybe somewhat high cholesterol, I don't know.

I am interested in these potential treatments just for the sake of it and because I read so many negative things about statins. But when someone is older and is in bad shape, it's not the time to mess around with treatments that are not well understood. I do hope though, that researchers will keep looking into these age old remedies.
Best wishes to him for a full recovery. I hope he is home soon.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:33 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,061,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
There are doctors who are more integrative in practice who will work with you to lower your medication.

+1 for Dr. Hoffman in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine