Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I don't donate blood, I need mine.
Just don't worry about it, it's not a big deal anyway. But if I were you I would consider the need for more protein in your diet, specifically the need for more tyrosine rich foods, it really can't hurt you anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Could this possibly be true for anyone out there~? I am craving bread right now and it says I need meat, fish, nuts, etc. I skipped lunch today, but I normally do eat a lot of bread but have decreased it tremendously, but every now and then I indulge too much. I guess I am not one for chocolate and would rather have bread.

Naturopathyworks - food cravings...
Well according to the professional naturopath on this website, it says meat, fish, nuts, to satisfy a physiological need for nitrogen, which apparently, bread provides.

If you look for the need of tyrosine, well the foods indicated for that, are to replace general overeating, or a craving for tobacco. If you needed more protein in your diet, you certainly wouldn't be jonseing for bread. You'd be jonseing for things that are tasty, that contain protein. Such as - a peanutbutter and fluffernutter sandwich (the peanutbutter is where you find the protein in that sandwich), or a Quarter Pounder with Cheese (dairy and beef = protein).

You want to know the kick though - meat, fish, and nuts - ALSO contain tyrosine. But - a deficiency in tyrosine would be accompanied by some pretty obvious medical maladies, and a simple craving for bread is not one of them.

Really though, most cravings are more obviously indicative. A craving for bread - is a craving for starch. Why would you "need" starch? The only time you'd "need" starch, is if your blood sugar levels drop. This occurs most often when you're juuuuuust about finished digesting your previous meal, and juuuuuust about right before your body is ready for the next meal. In other words - snack-time, is starch-craving time. Not surprisingly, this is when most people crave starch the most often.

It could also be something even deeper than that - the smell of yeast can trigger powerful memories. Smells in general can do this, in fact, because the nose contains the olfactory nerve, which is a direct line to the part of the brain that triggers emotional response. If your mom or grandmother enjoyed making bread or other yeast-based foods from scratch, that smell might satisfy an emotional need, rather than a physical need. But the thing about emotional needs, is that they in turn can trigger physical needs, through endorphin and seratonin release. So it could be stress causing you to crave the *smell* of bread - and it's possible that just smelling a fresh-baked hot out of the oven loaf of bread would satisfy the craving. Not likely - but certainly possible. The reason it's not likely is because your body is accustomed to satisfy cravings for food - with food and not with smells.

In summary, the question you ask can be answered by each "segment" of medicine, in completely different ways. The supplement freaks will tell you to take pills. The dietary freaks will tell you to change your diet. The aromatherapy freaks (such as myself) will tell you to snort yeast and the crazy people (I'm not using the Q word so supposedly it's allowed) - will tell you to take a caffeine enema.

In the long run though - the easiest way to satisfy a craving, is to give in to it. There's no need to binge. Have a slice of garlic bread. Or enjoy a pudding-cup sized portion of linquine with red sauce, along with a nice big salad with croutons and a slice of grilled eggplant with sauce and grated cheese. You'll get everything you need, and everything you crave, all in one shot, without having to pop a single pill or snort a single grain of yeast

Old 08-03-2013, 08:28 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Doesn't matter. The whole blood type food thing is a myth, and the book is science fiction. There's no truth or even a basis for truth in it, so don't worry about it.

I get starch cravings too, usually when my blood sugar takes a dive when I'm hungry. You say you skipped lunch - well that's probably the problem. Your blood sugar probably took a dive, and starch is the quickest way of raising it back up to normal. Moral of the story: if you think you're going to skip lunch, bring a piece of fruit, or a fiber bar, or some peanutbutter and Ritz mini-sandwiches to munch on. A little starch/protein, or sugar/fiber, or protein/sugar - or a little of everything, to keep your blood sugar level even, prevent cravings, and hold you over til suppertime. One of my favorite "no-meal snacks" for days when I know I'll be skipping lunch, is cutting a granny smith apple into wedges and dipping them into peanutbutter.

I'm better now and trying not to skip meals. It never bothered me before when I was younger...but I'm getting older, I guess. I don't eat snacks or snack instead of a meal. I'm doing better this week I've noticed. Also I get tired of cooking at times so that's another problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Just don't worry about it, it's not a big deal anyway. But if I were you I would consider the need for more protein in your diet, specifically the need for more tyrosine rich foods, it really can't hurt you anyway.
And what is "tyrosine rich foods", nuts and grains~?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well according to the professional naturopath on this website, it says meat, fish, nuts, to satisfy a physiological need for nitrogen, which apparently, bread provides.

If you look for the need of tyrosine, well the foods indicated for that, are to replace general overeating, or a craving for tobacco. If you needed more protein in your diet, you certainly wouldn't be jonseing for bread. You'd be jonseing for things that are tasty, that contain protein. Such as - a peanutbutter and fluffernutter sandwich (the peanutbutter is where you find the protein in that sandwich), or a Quarter Pounder with Cheese (dairy and beef = protein).

You want to know the kick though - meat, fish, and nuts - ALSO contain tyrosine. But - a deficiency in tyrosine would be accompanied by some pretty obvious medical maladies, and a simple craving for bread is not one of them.

Really though, most cravings are more obviously indicative. A craving for bread - is a craving for starch. Why would you "need" starch? The only time you'd "need" starch, is if your blood sugar levels drop. This occurs most often when you're juuuuuust about finished digesting your previous meal, and juuuuuust about right before your body is ready for the next meal. In other words - snack-time, is starch-craving time. Not surprisingly, this is when most people crave starch the most often.

It could also be something even deeper than that - the smell of yeast can trigger powerful memories. Smells in general can do this, in fact, because the nose contains the olfactory nerve, which is a direct line to the part of the brain that triggers emotional response. If your mom or grandmother enjoyed making bread or other yeast-based foods from scratch, that smell might satisfy an emotional need, rather than a physical need. But the thing about emotional needs, is that they in turn can trigger physical needs, through endorphin and seratonin release. So it could be stress causing you to crave the *smell* of bread - and it's possible that just smelling a fresh-baked hot out of the oven loaf of bread would satisfy the craving. Not likely - but certainly possible. The reason it's not likely is because your body is accustomed to satisfy cravings for food - with food and not with smells.

In summary, the question you ask can be answered by each "segment" of medicine, in completely different ways. The supplement freaks will tell you to take pills. The dietary freaks will tell you to change your diet. The aromatherapy freaks (such as myself) will tell you to snort yeast and the crazy people (I'm not using the Q word so supposedly it's allowed) - will tell you to take a caffeine enema.

In the long run though - the easiest way to satisfy a craving, is to give in to it. There's no need to binge. Have a slice of garlic bread. Or enjoy a pudding-cup sized portion of linquine with red sauce, along with a nice big salad with croutons and a slice of grilled eggplant with sauce and grated cheese. You'll get everything you need, and everything you crave, all in one shot, without having to pop a single pill or snort a single grain of yeast

I've never heard of "fluffernutter sandwich".

Old 08-03-2013, 08:48 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
I'm better now and trying not to skip meals. It never bothered me before when I was younger...but I'm getting older, I guess. I don't eat snacks or snack instead of a meal. I'm doing better this week I've noticed. Also I get tired of cooking at times so that's another problem.

And what is "tyrosine rich foods", nuts and grains~?

I've never heard of "fluffernutter sandwich".
You're probably not from New England. Marshmallow Fluff comes in a big jar and is mostly made of sugar. It is spread in a sandwich with peanut butter. I never had one, guess I missed out, but they're sort of famous around here for kids, like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:01 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You're probably not from New England. Marshmallow Fluff comes in a big jar and is mostly made of sugar. It is spread in a sandwich with peanut butter. I never had one, guess I missed out, but they're sort of famous around here for kids, like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Born and bred in Kentucky~!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I have craved salt my entire life. Never once have I craved sugar.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:03 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Could this possibly be true for anyone out there~? I am craving bread right now and it says I need meat, fish, nuts, etc. I skipped lunch today, but I normally do eat a lot of bread but have decreased it tremendously, but every now and then I indulge too much. I guess I am not one for chocolate and would rather have bread.

Naturopathyworks - food cravings...
I don't get it...what or who is "it says"?

Is critical thinking a totally lost skill? Do people really still believe, in 2013, that just because something is on teh interwebs, it must be true? Do you not realise that I could pay $99 for a domain name and start selling $300 cleansing systems to people like you with absolutely no oversight at all? That I may very well have made up the names of that silly website?

I see two unknown, non-accredited, basically made-up and non-existent people quoted on a commercial/content/spammy website. One quoted from a single lecture at an obscure or possible non-existent college, the other with a completely unlinkable cite that may be just as made-up as the first cite.

Google both names, I just did. One is selling $300 cleansing systems on his website plus books for over $500 that tell you how to read the color of your eyeballs and the other has "extensive training from the German Medical Society for Ozone Application in oxidative therapies to include ozone therapy, hydrogen peroxide, chelation and ultra violet blood irradiation. She is also certified in esogetic color puncture."
Did anyone actually attempt to READ and comprehend this bullcrap?

*snorts*

I'm sorry, but anyone who gives this sort of utter crap one second's worth of consideration deserves to spends thousands of dollars on dried grass clippings. Go for it. I'm sort of gobsmacked that in the internet age, there are still people stupid and naive enough to fall for this nonsense. You people are a goldmine for eyeball color book sellers and the esogetic color puncture purveyors, most if not all of whom have absolutely ZERO qualifications for anything at all including changing the oil on your Chevy Cavalier but con people through websites.

On the other hand one of my highest paying clients last year makes millions selling acai berry diet juice or pomegranite or some such crap, to naive people. He is making literally millions per year and he knows his product is a complete scam but people fall for it. Fine by me, he gave my business thousands of dollars of business fueled by people who think acai berries and
"esogetic color puncture" is legitimate.

And still there are legions of you who will pay and pay for this bull****. For which I thank you, I guess. On behalf of my acai berry client who is driving his and hers Bentleys and living in a humungous house with 24/7 nannies and housekeepers (because God forbid his wife should have to rinse a fork or open their fridge for one of her kids) who sells online and makes all this big money from people like veggienut.
Rude comment deleted. Rant will remain but from now on, please disagree politely.

Last edited by in_newengland; 08-03-2013 at 10:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine