Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:52 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I don't think you understand what Type 1 diabetes is...

In Type 1 diabetes, its an autoimmune disorder, the pancreas ceases to produce insulin, or produces far too little to have any effect...

Once the beta cells in the Islets of Langerhans have been destroyed, which is what happens in Type 1 diabetes, there is NO HOPE OF REGENERATION.....
Just to note, the people in the documentary cited in the OP doesn't suggest that you can cure type 1 diabetes with diet....though they do point to studies that show a relationship between the development of type 1 diabetes and diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:26 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
There is nothing definite and more research is needed. Read those articles again. Also, there is no mention of what kind of meat the people consumed, etc. There is little detail. Low-carb is not no-carb BYW. Low-carb contains some carbs but no REFINED carbs. The Inuit of the far north didn't suffer these diseases and they lived on a diet of mostly fish, meat and fats. Very high protein. That is, until the white man brought them, introduced them, to crackers and bread and sugary soda and pasta and meats like coldcuts and other preserved meats loaded with salts or sugars and chemical preservatives and dyes....

We're all going to die in the end. Would you rather die of obesity related diseases such as the same cardiovascular diseases plus the complications of diabetes?

Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raina starling View Post
Well that sure is odd considering that Genesis 1:29 says that God has given us every herb-bearing seed and for us it shall be our meat
Read further. It's where he gave permission to eat all kinds of animals with cloven hoofs that chew the cud.... but there's more than I posted here. Sad how this God had no compassion at all for the animals he allegedly created.

Leviticus 11Laws about Animals for Food

11 The Lord spoke again to Moses and to Aaron, saying to them, 2 “Speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘These are the creatures which you may eat from all the animals that are on the earth. 3 Whatever divides a hoof, thus making split hoofs, and chews the cud, among the animals, that you may eat. 4 Nevertheless, you are not to eat of these, among those which chew the cud, or among those which divide the hoof: the camel, for though it chews cud, it does not divide the hoof, it is unclean to you. 5 Likewise, the [a]shaphan, for though it chews cud, it does not divide the hoof, it is unclean to you; 6 the [b]rabbit also, for though it chews cud, it does not divide the hoof, it is unclean to you; 7 and the pig, for though it divides the hoof, thus making a split hoof, it does not chew cud, it is unclean to you. 8 You shall not eat of their flesh nor touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you.

You can Google for more information on this God and animals/meat.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:45 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
There is nothing definite and more research is needed. Read those articles again. Also, there is no mention of what kind of meat the people consumed, etc. There is little detail. Low-carb is not no-carb BYW. Low-carb contains some carbs but no REFINED carbs. The Inuit of the far north didn't suffer these diseases and they lived on a diet of mostly fish, meat and fats. Very high protein. That is, until the white man brought them, introduced them, to crackers and bread and sugary soda and pasta and meats like coldcuts and other preserved meats loaded with salts or sugars and chemical preservatives and dyes....

We're all going to die in the end. Would you rather die of obesity related diseases such as the same cardiovascular diseases plus the complications of diabetes?
Maybe you should try reading the articles I posted again, clearly you didn't get it...

Also, maybe you should try proving YOUR supposition that 'processed carbs" cause diabetes....they don't....

Too many calories in, of any variety, leading to obesity "causes" Type II diabetes, it doesn't matter whether its carbohydrates, meat, fish etc...

Old 09-25-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Maybe you should try reading the articles I posted again, clearly you didn't get it...

Also, maybe you should try proving YOUR supposition that 'processed carbs" cause diabetes....they don't....

Too many calories in, of any variety, leading to obesity "causes" Type II diabetes, it doesn't matter whether its carbohydrates, meat, fish etc...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You missed something somewhere. Refined carbs spike insulin and cause insulin resistance. The first step in the direction of diabetes. Blood sugar starts to rise. Go from there....

Again, look at the Inuit and American Indians. Diabetes was all but unknown in these people until they were introduced to a high-carb diet, primarily refined carbs in all it's many forms.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:59 AM

624 posts, read 762,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

People on Atkins diet are usually overweight, Atkins himself was overweight and had heart disease at the time of his death.
My 52 year old sister is 80 pounds over weight, and is now pre diabetic, along with other health/joint issues. She has claimed to be doing a modified Atkins diet for years. Meaning she will still pig out on chips and crap if the mood strikes her. She eats a ton of cheese daily. She and her DH eat out at least 4 times a week.

I have given up on trying to help her. She just gets PO'd at me at the most innocuous suggestions, such as make your DH take the chips and crap to work with him, or buy the single serving bags. So sad and frustrating.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I've done low/no carb three times, and yeah in order to tolerate it ate some high fat stuff (heavy cream, salami, etc.), and dropped 10 lbs in about 6 weeks each time.

I don't think it's healthy so right now I have added vegetables (my preferred diet).

Honestly, eating only whole food, religiously counting calories and other more reasonable diets never accomplished any significant loss. So obviously it worked for me.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine