Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:15 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Well, 8 lbs of Epsom salts in a bath is like a mega amount to buy and pay for unless you are doing it as a one time deal.

I believe the package says to use 2 cups. I use around 4 cups per bath because I use it frequently.

I might start dumping 8 lbs in the bath once I find that free magnesium salt mine in my back yard
Just take the pills then. Mag aspartate or mag glycinate are both said to be highly absorbable forms of magnesium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 02:53 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,681,095 times
Yep magnesium and calcium are great--and effective for cramps. You can take supplements--and/or eat more mag-rich foods.

Check this list of foods especially high in magnesium--how many do you eat daily?

Top 10 Foods Highest in Magnesium

Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
You're going to find this hard to believe. I suffered from leg cramps at night all my life, and so did my mother and my sister. About three years ago, I started sleeping right on the floor, no bed, no mattress, nothing under me but the shag carpet and a bed sheet. My legs cramps stopped immediately. Not completely stopped, but much less frequently and mild enough that I could relieve them while still lying down.

I have no idea why this happened. But it did.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:38 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,773 times
I used to have really bad leg cramps at night and the root cause was traced to my cholesterol medication, Lisinopril.
The leg cramps disappeared within days of stopping it and hardly ever happen anymore.
I suffered for years before discovering this.

Check your medications. You never know. Muscle cramping is a side effect of many drugs.

It goes without saying to please see your doctor before stopping any prescribed medication.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:10 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,809,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I used to have really bad leg cramps at night and the root cause was traced to my cholesterol medication, Lisinopril.
The leg cramps disappeared within days of stopping it and hardly ever happen anymore.

Check your medications. You never know. Muscle cramping is a side effect of many drugs.

It goes without saying to please see your doctor before stopping any prescribed medication.
The question though is whether cramps are a side effect of the drug or whether a vitamin/mineral deficiency is. I know there are several drugs that will cause deficiencies. Examples: drugs for AD/HD usually increase the need for mg, statins increase need for co-Q-10, and metformin increases need for B-12. Docs don't usually tell you this but if you're on any meds for any reason you should look it up for yourself.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 PM

28 posts, read 107,289 times
Really, there are many reasons why you legs are cramping, everyone has given you advice that might have worked for them. I would go to an Applied Kinesiologist or someone who uses Chiro Plus Kinesiology (CPK) and they will tell you exactly what is causing it and if you need to take something for it or if its a different problem all together that is causing it to cramp. Sometimes I have seen inflammation in the low back cause those problems, so another thing might be to ice your low back for 10 minutes (no longer) a couple times a day and see if that takes the inflammation out which could be causing the cramps.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,507,533 times
How old is the OP?

Male or female?

Calcium/magnesium would be the first thing I'd do. My mother-in-law always complained of leg cramps - postmenopausal - calcium deficiency. I'm now 71 and don't have them, but have always taken a calcium/magnesium supplement along with CoQ10 and ubiquinol, and a few other things.

Quote:

Statins are the worst. They break down muscle - they're poison. Last thing an old person needs is muscle deterioration.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
Try this.

Before going to bed at night, lie on the floor and put your legs up and shake and wiggle and kick and jerk them as hard and fast and vigorously as you can, flexing your ankles and toes at the same time. Do this for at least 30 seconds. Or you can do it seated in a hard, straight-backed chair.

When I get leg cramps, they usually come in cycles, several nights in a row, and this usually puts a stop to them.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:55 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,773 times
Quote:

I made a mistake.
It was Simvastatin, not Lisinopril that caused the cramping.
Lisinopril is a blood pressure drug.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:52 PM

566 posts, read 1,108,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Epsom Salts are high in magnesium.

Pour about 4 cups of the salts in a warm bath and soak in them for 1/2 or longer a few times a week, or add to your daily bath.

Besides fixing a magnesium deficiency and soothing sore muscles, Epsom salts are extremely relaxing before bed.

I do the life-flo magnesium oil on my feet and put on socks before bed. Magnesium is very important. Never take calcium alone. ever.

I put about four - six sprays on each foot.

I was given a script for Lipitor by a very esteemed doc in Chicago only because I was in my upper 40's. She did not see any blood tests. I had no symptoms. She said it was "since you are almost 50." Can you believe this drivel? I have no issues.

Now I see that Lipitor may be the cause of much Diabetes Type 2 in women. Great. Thanks, doc.

I am not overweight. I do my own blood tests. I have no doctor. I am on organic, gluten free - massively nutritious foods. I need to move more, tho.

And I get Lipitor?

I wonder how much kick back she was getting. She can take her Lipitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine