Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:25 PM

65 posts, read 307,013 times

Advertisements

Does anyone think a couple aspirins could help just before going to bed ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:31 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,826,839 times
No, start taking magnesium and calcium before bed. Not only will you sleep better but the cramps will stop quickly--like well within a week.

When they do happen, like if they're in your calves, quickly pull your toes forward and away from the cramp. This will stop them in their tracks but you need mg if they're happening.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,598,104 times
I just found the best thing for leg cramps I have ever heard of. I wish I'd discovered it years ago. I just apply a very small amount of Arnica to my legs and VOLIA!! no cramps and no pain while sleeping. You don't massage it in and you use just a tiny little bit and it's amazing. At least for me and my wife it is.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:44 PM

Calcium ?

Take what veggie or what ?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:47 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,228,558 times
Epsom Salts are high in magnesium.

Pour about 4 cups of the salts in a warm bath and soak in them for 1/2 or longer a few times a week, or add to your daily bath.

Besides fixing a magnesium deficiency and soothing sore muscles, Epsom salts are extremely relaxing before bed.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:59 PM

290 posts, read 367,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councillor View Post
Does anyone think a couple aspirins could help just before going to bed ?
I get this. Generally what calms it down for me is:

1. Stretch after exertion. Once you head into middle age you are not as limber as you once were and your muscles need a cool-down period after exercise. And even after walking around your neighborhood it's best to stretch afterward. You release the waste byproducts in your muscles when you stretch, preventing cramp.

2. Take 2 Advil before bed. NSAIDs generally are a good plan for intermittent nightly muscle pain. Sometimes when it gets real bad I take codeine but it's best to go easy on any opiate. They are habit-forming and if you take them nightly for over two weeks and wind up running out of them, you will PINE for the days when you had the cramps you have now. (I have been in opiate withdrawal due to taking Oxys for a dislocated shoulder, and the pain of withdrawal cannot be described in words alone.)

3. Be sure to keep up with vitamins and electrolytes. Many times, the cramps are caused by a deficiency. A good multivitamin, extra calcium (Tums are cheap and easy to digest) and a source of potassium (bananas and sports drinks like Gatorade are excellent BTW) should help.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:16 PM

How about a 400mg mag tablet and 2 Advil before retiring tonight ?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,440,399 times
Tried and true...1000 mg of magnesium on an empty stomach before bed...capsules,
not tablets.

You're body is not screaming out, "Give me aspirin"...it is screaming out," Give me minerals!"
Give me water and magnesium....

If you are 5'2 or something, ok.....take 750 mg.

On the third morning you will be thanking me.

Period, end of story. Been giving this advice for 30 years.
It works.

Sorry, but if you have a mag deficiency like 95% of Americans then
place 8 pounds of magnesium sulfate in the hottest bath water for 20 minutes minimum.
Sorry, Epsom salts.
4 cups is what a coach places in a bucket for an ankle.
Sorry, not trying to criticize....just this is so old hat for me.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:45 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,440,399 times
Caffeine and alcohol suck, pull out magnesium from your tissues, btw.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:55 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,228,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Sorry, but if you have a mag deficiency like 95% of Americans then
place 8 pounds of magnesium sulfate in the hottest bath water for 20 minutes minimum.
Sorry, Epsom salts.
4 cups is what a coach places in a bucket for an ankle.
Sorry, not trying to criticize....just this is so old hat for me.
Well, 8 lbs of Epsom salts in a bath is like a mega amount to buy and pay for unless you are doing it as a one time deal.

I believe the package says to use 2 cups. I use around 4 cups per bath because I use it frequently.

I might start dumping 8 lbs in the bath once I find that free magnesium salt mine in my back yard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine