Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 04:23 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,416,572 times

Advertisements

I believe I have had ADD all my life. I asked my MD about meds and he said you have lived with this all these years leave it be. Are there any alternatives to prescription meds for ADD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 04:03 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,521 times
I'm also in my 60s and probably have always suffered from ADHD or ADD. Of course back when we were kids no one really knew about ADD/ADHD. We were just "stupid," or "not working up to capacity," or we were labeled as being "bad" in some way.

Some things that have been recommended for me by a nutritionist we've found that seem to be helping are the omega 3s, B-vitamins, especially B-12, and zinc.

I too would appreciate any suggestions from anyone.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:00 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Some other thing that may help is DL-phenylalanine--a precursor to dopamine. Omega3 has been of most benefit to me though. The DLP is a slight stimulant so take in the morning. Sun theanine helps me to concentrate and is relaxing so that one would be good for evening. I have had good measurable effects with all of those, but the DLP works more over time. An interesting side effect is that you feel less pain, both physical and emotional so if you have some arthritis it will help and it will help if you tend to be sensitive in social situations as I have been much of my life.

I've got to say though that I am totally into alternatives--even doing holistic cancer treatment, but I have never found anything that works quite as well as adderall. I'm not going to tell you what you should do, but if you really would rather try the meds, then don't let your doc dismiss you summarily b/c of your age. That is so condescending it makes me sick--it's like telling you that you're too old to worry about a quality life and it's all downhill from here. No it is not! If you live to 92 like my grandma did then you still have a good 30 years. Dang, I'm getting mad for you. It's amazing what docs don't know about ADHD.

If the doc is concerned about your health, it's good to remember that when you feel good, your health will benefit and you will suffer less stress. I asked my holistic doc if I should continue with adderall or get off and he asked if I feel better with or without it. I said with, so he said to go ahead and take it because he puts great stock in how I feel. I have built up my health to the point though that I may be able to get off of it soon but not willing to chance it while working a stressful job.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:09 AM

242 posts, read 413,020 times
caco54....

I think the realization that you have ADD/that you recognize you have ADD is your best meds. In that regard you are a step up from where you've operated from previously. >>Understanding<< is a powerful drug.

Don't forget diet/exercise/meditation as well....all of which, IMO and experience, can alleviate a portion of the symptoms of ADD/ADHD and can make you feel better "overall".

Prescription drugs may help temporarily, but there's always a hook at the end of the line, especially with long-term exposure, so be careful/research this approach carefully before proceeding. Adderall is a very powerful amphetamine.

best of luck going forward.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:47 AM

Yes rainbow I agree it is powerful and that's why I insisted to the doc that I only take 10 mg xr/day instead of the 20 that they usually try to start you on. I also agree that knowing you have it is powerful in its own right and the more studying and reading you do, the better it will go and the better you can advocate for yourself. I think I am just more offended that the doc thinks the OP is too old to benefit from the meds. That's a crock. Quality of life is always an important thing, even if you only have a year left to live, though I'm guessing the OP has many more than that.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:38 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,521 times
Sounds like it might be time for the OP to consider finding another doctor if the current one is that arrogant and condescending.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:16 AM

11,027 posts, read 5,978,490 times
What stepka says. I'd add magnesium and a few other things to the mix. I'm interested in this DL-phenylalanine. Where do I get it? (I have emotional pain).

Also have a look at; 'I Wanted To Live': New Depression Drugs Offer Hope For Toughest Cases : Shots - Health News : NPR It might also help with ADD/ADHD.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
What stepka says. I'd add magnesium and a few other things to the mix. I'm interested in this DL-phenylalanine. Where do I get it? (I have emotional pain).

Also have a look at; 'I Wanted To Live': New Depression Drugs Offer Hope For Toughest Cases : Shots - Health News : NPR It might also help with ADD/ADHD.
I get mine at Whole Foods, but any health food store will carry it in the section with amino acids. It builds up your endorphins. Another book you might be interested in is The Mood Cure--the 4 step program to take charge of your emotions today by Julia Ross.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:41 AM

11,027 posts, read 5,978,490 times
I do have the book. L-phenylalanine is synthesized into tyrosine which is synthesized into L-dopa and norepinephrine. I started taking it but found it made me more sensitive to my pain so I stopped. Apparently, D-phenylalanine is supposed to reduce pain but that has not been proven in clinical trials or so they say.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I do have the book. L-phenylalanine is synthesized into tyrosine which is synthesized into L-dopa and norepinephrine. I started taking it but found it made me more sensitive to my pain so I stopped. Apparently, D-phenylalanine is supposed to reduce pain but that has not been proven in clinical trials or so they say.
Hmm, different strokes for different folks I guess. I found that it took the pain right out of my arthritic fingers--for good. I'm not finding that it helps all that much for concentration though--prefer sun-theanine for that.

Another one that has really helped me in the past though I haven't taken in quite a long time due to other health concerns that I need to be mindful of, is a class of drugs called the racetams. They are also called nootropics, along with some other drugs and supplements I believe. Do a search--you can order some of these online, even on Amazon. These are not stimulants and I found them to work quite well.

As an interesting sidenote--once I bought a bottle of galantamine b/c I had read that it can help you to have a lucid dream. I followed the instructions and sure enough, the first time I tried it I had a lucid dream. I was flying thru a cathedral in a foreign city before I woke up. Some folks with dementia seem to respond well to it as a memory enhancer too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine