Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 01:20 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times

Advertisements

As the title states I have to drink barium for a CT scan. Is it bad for you? Is there anything I should do afterwards to detox from it (and the CT scan)?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 01:48 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
As the title states I have to drink barium for a CT scan. Is it bad for you? Is there anything I should do afterwards to detox from it (and the CT scan)?

thanks!

Recently had a contrast x-ray of the esophagus with barium. They said to drink more water than usual after the x-ray because the barium can make you constipated.

I had the opposite reaction - I had diarrhea that day. Leave it to me to have the opposite reaction. <g>

It doesn't taste great (to say the least), but it's over quickly & it's done.

Be sure to follow all the pre-procedure directions about eating / drinking prior to the procedure.

Last edited by daliowa; 11-12-2014 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-12-2014, 05:11 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:

thanks!
Here you go; it's for a barium swallow, but the gist of it is applicable to your procedure:

Barium Swallow | Johns Hopkins Medicine Health Library

"After the procedure
You may resume your normal diet and activities after a barium swallow, unless your doctor advises you differently.

Barium may cause constipation or possible impaction after the procedure if it isn't completely eliminated from your body. You may be advised to drink plenty of fluids and eat foods high in fiber to expel the barium from the body. You may also be given a cathartic or laxative to help expel the barium.

Since barium isn't absorbed into the body but passes through the entire intestinal tract, your bowel movements may be lighter in color until all of the barium has been excreted.

Notify your doctor to report any of the following:

Difficulty with bowel movements or inability to have a bowel movement

Pain and/or distention of the abdomen

Stools that are smaller in diameter than normal

Your doctor may give you additional or alternate instructions after the procedure, depending on your particular situation."

Old 11-13-2014, 11:04 PM

Thanks, because this is an "alternative medicine" thread, I was hoping for some more holistic suggestions.

I have been drinking lots of fluids; the barium gave me bad pain, distension and gas in my lower gi tract . Hopefully it's gone by tomorrow!

Old 11-14-2014, 11:55 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,229 times
Quote:
Thanks, because this is an "alternative medicine" thread, I was hoping for some more holistic suggestions.

I have been drinking lots of fluids; the barium gave me bad pain, distension and gas in my lower gi tract . Hopefully it's gone by tomorrow!

Sorry to hear that. I had no problems except for a little diarrhea which went away quickly. I had no pain at all.

If you have bad pain than perhaps you should phone your doctor?

Old 11-15-2014, 10:15 AM

It passed by morning but I mentioned it to my doc anyhow, all is well now.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:20 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
nothing except feeling slightly bloated the first few minutes after drinking it.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:57 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
It passed by morning but I mentioned it to my doc anyhow, all is well now.
Good!

Hope your results are good, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine