Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 3,928 times

Advertisements

I've been so curious about acupuncture but have gotten mixed reviews about it? Some people I know say it really works while a few say it was a waste of money.

I've had really bad neck pains for the past 6 months and have tried everything from changing my pillows to heating pads and nothing works. So I was thinking about trying acupuncture.

What have been some of your experiences with it, especially in regards to body pain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:31 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,484,015 times
I have not tried it personally but I did accompany my father on his appointments. He started going for phantom pains from an amputation. While it did not take all of the pain away, it did make him much more comfortable. The doctor administered needles to alleviate other issues he had like sinus pain and as far as I could tell, it really helped him. My father was a no nonsense WWII vet that had to be talked into going and he also looked forward to the appointments for relief so I believe it was not only a placebo affect.

As an example, he saw the doctor in a normal exam room which did not have a table long enough for my dad so during the procedure he really was not in a comfortable position. It never failed that was relaxed and snoring within 10 minutes - something that the pain kept him from doing before the treatment.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:58 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,831,733 times
I go to acupuncture and have gone off and on for years. It works for a lot of things but not for everything. I've had it boost my immune system when I was sick with a sinus infection and had a strange doctor who wouldn't prescribe antibiotics for me. I was so weak and sick that I practically had to be carried in. I walked out on my own.

(When I finally got to my allergist he immediately prescribed the needed antibiotics, btw.)

People have said it works for neuropathy. I have no experience with that. It seems to work for some kinds of pain but not for others. It somehow works with (or like?) the nerves since it follows meridians that are similar to the nerves in the nervous system. Sort of like electrical impulses.

It helps with sinus pain and it helps with digestion.

If your neck pain is caused by a strained neck, I don't think it would help, I don't know. It might be good to find out what's causing your neck pain first. Then you'll know what course to take.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:12 PM

17,584 posts, read 39,289,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I go to acupuncture and have gone off and on for years. It works for a lot of things but not for everything. I've had it boost my immune system when I was sick with a sinus infection and had a strange doctor who wouldn't prescribe antibiotics for me. I was so weak and sick that I practically had to be carried in. I walked out on my own.

(When I finally got to my allergist he immediately prescribed the needed antibiotics, btw.)

People have said it works for neuropathy. I have no experience with that. It seems to work for some kinds of pain but not for others. It somehow works with (or like?) the nerves since it follows meridians that are similar to the nerves in the nervous system. Sort of like electrical impulses.

It helps with sinus pain and it helps with digestion.

If your neck pain is caused by a strained neck, I don't think it would help, I don't know. It might be good to find out what's causing your neck pain first. Then you'll know what course to take.
Pretty much agree - it does work for some things and not others. Also, it works on some people better than others. I received acunpuncture for 1.5 years until my practitioner had to stop treating me (issues of his own). I received needling plus tui-na (Chinese massage) and it helped me IMMENSELY with various issues, including muscle pain from injuries. I highly recommend trying it. You do usually have to have several treatments before you start to see results, depending on your issue.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:25 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,647,555 times
Acupuncture does have merit but of all of the modalities I use, it is probably one of my bottom choices. I use it when there is some deep tissue healing required and I can find an acupuncturist who knows how to use the classical long needles.

My to choice is deep massage (tuina). If done well and on the whole body, fantastic results can be achieved. However finding a skilled tuina practitioner who is willing to do the necessary work is difficult.

Why is acupuncture more popular than tuina? Because it is MUCH easier to do and a practitioner can have multiple patients going at one time. In any case, the acupuncture being taught nowadays is a manifestation of the money driven thought process of the post-1949 Communist China region and bares little resemblance to classical acupuncture of old.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:22 PM

10,275 posts, read 6,372,992 times
My Uncle in his 70s back 40 years ago had surgeries on his back. Nothing worked. He was in extreme pain and totally bent over until he had acupuncture.

After he had it? He walked STRAIGHT UP like a 20 year old! I will add one thing, though. It was not cheap even way back then, and he had to continue the treatments, but far, far better than stronger and strongers pain meds and more surgeries.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:04 AM

863 posts, read 1,200,805 times
I haven't had extensive experience with acupuncture but when I needed it to work, it did. I had a severely herniated disc that the insurance company insisted I wait 6 months for surgery upon. In the meantime, I tried pharmaceutical painkillers, yoga, chiropractic adjustments, new age "sound therapy" and of course, physical therapy.

The only process besides the pharmaceuticals that worked at all was acupuncture. It couldn't fix the damaged disc, it was too far gone but it accomplished more in terms of pain control than any other method. I would try acupuncture again without a moment's hesitation. Too bad more insurances don't cover it's use.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:35 AM

4 posts, read 13,252 times
I never experienced the acupuncture therapy yet but as i heard from my friend it was helpful for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine