Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:59 AM

273 posts, read 211,394 times

Advertisements

I have read that Diabetic Retinopathy is really the affect of the glucose depleting the reserves of cobalt (vitamin b12) and chromium stores you have in your eyes.

Anyone else heard this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 02:48 PM

Ok, I read recently also that you can take baking soda and lower acid levels which will help the pancreas produce more insulin. Anyone know of this?

Old 05-19-2015, 02:56 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
No. Diabetic Retinopathy is the destruction of vision caused by blood vessel damage in the back of the eye brought on by the long term glucose intolerance that diabetics suffer from, particularly Type I diabetics. It's similar to the neuropathy diabetics get in their feet. It can cause bleeding in the back of the eye and ultimately lead to blindness. Laser treatments can help control the bleeding somewhat, but the best treatment/prevention for diabetic retinopathy is keeping one's blood sugar under control.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No. Diabetic Retinopathy is the destruction of vision caused by blood vessel damage in the back of the eye brought on by the long term glucose intolerance that diabetics suffer from, particularly Type I diabetics. It's similar to the neuropathy diabetics get in their feet. It can cause bleeding in the back of the eye and ultimately lead to blindness. Laser treatments can help control the bleeding somewhat, but the best treatment/prevention for diabetic retinopathy is keeping one's blood sugar under control.
How are the blood vessels destroyed? Is it some form of oxidation that occurs or is the replentishment of healthy cells at fault?

Old 05-20-2015, 07:45 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonplayer View Post
I have read that Diabetic Retinopathy is really the affect of the glucose depleting the reserves of cobalt (vitamin b12) and chromium stores you have in your eyes.

Anyone else heard this before?
A quick google search shows that there is a correlation between B12 and retinopathy - diabetics excrete more of this vitamin, and without enough of it homocysteine levels rise, which is associated with retinopathy. So yes, this is correct, but not necessarily the whole cause. It can't hurt to increase your intake.

By the way, I am diabetic myself - I take a lot of Vit. B supplements including B12. My eyes are in good shape despite high blood sugar. I don't even wear prescription glasses (only cheap drugstore readers, low magnification).

Old 05-20-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
A quick google search shows that there is a correlation between B12 and retinopathy - diabetics excrete more of this vitamin, and without enough of it homocysteine levels rise, which is associated with retinopathy. So yes, this is correct, but not necessarily the whole cause. It can't hurt to increase your intake.

By the way, I am diabetic myself - I take a lot of Vit. B supplements including B12. My eyes are in good shape despite high blood sugar. I don't even wear prescription glasses (only cheap drugstore readers, low magnification).
Well, I have the floaters real bad and I have peripheral neuropathy and my eyes are now suffering. I try to keep my sugar down but it isn't easy. I'm going to try to incorporate some sodium bicarbonate into my diet more to see if it helps.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:29 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonplayer View Post
Well, I have the floaters real bad and I have peripheral neuropathy and my eyes are now suffering. I try to keep my sugar down but it isn't easy. I'm going to try to incorporate some sodium bicarbonate into my diet more to see if it helps.
It's one of those things, it can't hurt and it might help. Be sure not to take it right before or after eating, you need to take it at least 2 hours before or after eating. I like to take it at night right before bed - I have read that is when your body really needs the bicarbonates.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's one of those things, it can't hurt and it might help. Be sure not to take it right before or after eating, you need to take it at least 2 hours before or after eating. I like to take it at night right before bed - I have read that is when your body really needs the bicarbonates.
Good info, thanks.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:01 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
My H had very bad neuropathy and retinopathy. He was picturing his old age as being blind and in a wheel chair. Not a pretty picture and he was very depressed. With diet, exercise, and glucophage(metformin) he was able to get his A1C back in normal range. He did everything right but all his 'opathies' kept getting worse. There was nothing else his doc could suggest.

So he went to Spain and got the DS(duodenal switch) for diabetes with Dr. Aniceto Baltasar in Alcoy. We stayed in Spain for 3 weeks after the surgery to make sure he was OK and have a bit of a vacation. 2 weeks post-op, H got up and remarked his vision was blurry. We decided to wait a couple hours and call the doc. Well, it turned out his vision had gone back to 20/20 without his glasses and he no longer needed them. His diabetes resolved completely and he no longer needed medication and he could eat as he pleased.

In Europe this surgery has been pretty common for more than 20 years. I just figure it's better to just get rid of the disease than it is to suffer and give up quality of life. Chances for resolving DMII with this surgery are over 95%. To us, those were good odds.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My H had very bad neuropathy and retinopathy. He was picturing his old age as being blind and in a wheel chair. Not a pretty picture and he was very depressed. With diet, exercise, and glucophage(metformin) he was able to get his A1C back in normal range. He did everything right but all his 'opathies' kept getting worse. There was nothing else his doc could suggest.

So he went to Spain and got the DS(duodenal switch) for diabetes with Dr. Aniceto Baltasar in Alcoy. We stayed in Spain for 3 weeks after the surgery to make sure he was OK and have a bit of a vacation. 2 weeks post-op, H got up and remarked his vision was blurry. We decided to wait a couple hours and call the doc. Well, it turned out his vision had gone back to 20/20 without his glasses and he no longer needed them. His diabetes resolved completely and he no longer needed medication and he could eat as he pleased.

In Europe this surgery has been pretty common for more than 20 years. I just figure it's better to just get rid of the disease than it is to suffer and give up quality of life. Chances for resolving DMII with this surgery are over 95%. To us, those were good odds.
I would assume he still had a lot of weight on him after 2 weeks, correct? I'm curious what would have caused the correction in the vision so quickly. This tends to give more credit to the possibility of using sodium bicarbonate in my opinion because with half the stomach it would mean definitely less HCL production. I'm trying to figure out what it is in DS that causes that diabetes to disappear. Seems less HCL would be the case here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine