Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:17 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,534,641 times

Advertisements

I went to a new doctor today. He seemed to know his stuff….until he said stevia was not a plant and was developed in a lab and it is a chemical. He went in this direction after I said I did not want to take a statin and refused the pneumonia vaccine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 07:18 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,483,773 times
I am confused. What does a sweetener have to do with a statin?

Old 05-28-2015, 05:14 AM

11 posts, read 8,815 times
http://healthim pactnews.com/2015/ja...l-live-longer/

Old 05-28-2015, 05:03 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,534,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I am confused. What does a sweetener have to do with a statin?
It had nothing to do with a statin….he was giving me all the information that he had been saying to his patients…take a statin, get a vaccine, take this take that…I prefer to do more natural methods by taking supplements….which seem to be working fine..I am very healthy for 67..he even said so. He said natural like Stevia? and I say yes, altho I do not use it. He then went on to explain that it was a chemical that was developed in a lab. He asked if I had ever seen a stevia plant…I have in print….That is why I questioned he other info….It seemed that he had stevia and aspertaine confused. I do not want a confused doctor.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:09 PM

102,312 posts, read 108,488,976 times
your doctor is either lying, or misinformed. Or as you say, it could be he has it confused w/aspertame, but not likely. And no, you don't want a doc who gets important things confused, or who has an axe to grind re: alternative medicine.

From Wiki:

Stevia (/ˈstiːvɪə/, /ˈstiːvjə/ or /ˈstɛvɪə/) is a sweetener and sugar substitute extracted from the leaves of the plant species Stevia rebaudiana.

Discovered by a Swiss researcher in Paraguay, it had been used by local Native people for centuries as a sweetener, or a sweet treat.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:10 PM

273 posts, read 211,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I went to a new doctor today. He seemed to know his stuff….until he said stevia was not a plant and was developed in a lab and it is a chemical. He went in this direction after I said I did not want to take a statin and refused the pneumonia vaccine.
Never trust a medical doctor when it comes to advice about herbals and natural remedies. They just don't get education in that stuff. I asked my doctor if I could take SAM-e before some lab testing and he didn't know what it was.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:32 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,497,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
FYI, Doctors are not experts on herbs. They in fact know nothing about them. If you want to learn about stevia, look in books about herbs or talk to an herbalist. Stevia has been around since well before colonial days and was usually grown in backyard gardens and used as a sweetener. It also happens to be great for diabetics as it regulates blood sugar.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:29 PM

811 posts, read 1,153,880 times
It's a plant. I've grown it in my herb garden many times and used the leaves to sweeten teas, cocktails, etc. Looks like it's time for a new doctor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
FYI, Doctors are not experts on herbs. They in fact know nothing about them.
My issue with the OP's doc would not have been his herbal ignorance necessarily, but that he was both combative regarding his patient's preferences and spoke about something as if he was an expert when he was completely wrong. Pretending to have the answers and being wrong is definitely not a good way to practice medicine.

Specific to the stevia, I do think that a doctor should have some intelligence about sugar alternatives to pass along to his patients who are dealing with diabetes, weight issues, or a myriad of other things.

Last edited by IslandCityGirl; 06-03-2015 at 10:25 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 01:16 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,350,057 times
This idea that 'natural' chemicals are better than 'synthetic' ones is something I do take issue with. There's plenty of 'natural' items out there that will kill you plenty quick and plenty of 'synthetic' items that are harmless.

Ultimately you're just talking about strings of atoms that combine to form molecules and it really doesn't matter their 'origin' .. only their effects matter... which is why I just use the neotame and sucralose and don't subject myself to the bitterness of the stevia. To each their own.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:11 AM

14,576 posts, read 23,136,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
This idea that 'natural' chemicals are better than 'synthetic' ones is something I do take issue with. There's plenty of 'natural' items out there that will kill you plenty quick and plenty of 'synthetic' items that are harmless.

Ultimately you're just talking about strings of atoms that combine to form molecules and it really doesn't matter their 'origin' .. only their effects matter... which is why I just use the neotame and sucralose and don't subject myself to the bitterness of the stevia. To each their own.
Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine