Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 26,632 times

Advertisements

Im just curious about mixes between these dogs, what colours are the puppies generally and are they still purebred if cross coloured. I have a Yello Lab retriever ***** and babysitting a black lab male, perfect timing says she has came on heat, if she gets pregnant( they havent been stuck, hes quite young) what colour are the puppies likely to be, Does anyone have any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 05:36 PM

314 posts, read 1,105,481 times
Yes! This is the cross I use when teaching the genetics section in a Biology course. Odds are most of the pups are going to be black, a few could be chocolate(dilute) or yellow. There is a freeware program called Phenotype Predictor for Dogs- it's great for determining what possible litters might be.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:32 PM
c99

237 posts, read 1,042,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Yes! This is the cross I use when teaching the genetics section in a Biology course. Odds are most of the pups are going to be black, a few could be chocolate(dilute) or yellow. There is a freeware program called Phenotype Predictor for Dogs- it's great for determining what possible litters might be.
How about looking at the program suggested, keep the dogs separated, and get your female dog spayed before more unwanted dogs are brought into this world.

Please look up "black dog syndrome."

Old 05-19-2009, 07:14 PM

65 posts, read 36,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c99 View Post
How about looking at the program suggested, keep the dogs separated, and get your female dog spayed before more unwanted dogs are brought into this world.

Please look up "black dog syndrome."
Thankz for that advise.
Also, people who are looking for a dog, should go to their local shelter first.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:57 AM

How do you assume the dogs are automatically unwanted? Why do you assumr a local shelter wiuld have an acceptable dog or puppy?

Frankly Im getting tired of the Bob Barker disciples hijacking every thread.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:40 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissieml View Post
Im just curious about mixes between these dogs, what colours are the puppies generally and are they still purebred if cross coloured. I have a Yello Lab retriever ***** and babysitting a black lab male, perfect timing says she has came on heat, if she gets pregnant( they havent been stuck, hes quite young) what colour are the puppies likely to be, Does anyone have any experience with this?
Black and yellow are natural phenotypes of the exact same breed. Black could be BB or Bb. Yellow is bb. A pair of yellow labs will have all yellow pups since both are necessarily homozygous recessive. A pair of black labs can have yellows in the litter and a black and a yellow will either have all black heterozygous puppies or a mix of black and yellow if the black lab is heterozygous.

I think that chocolate is actually a little bit different from the black and yellow, but I'm not sure how that works.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:30 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,782 times
Most likely black. How old is male? These dogs registered? He must be over 7 months old to be a registered stud but over a year they actually have better chance of working it. If it happens get prepared read up on whelping early and vet visits and such.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
How do you assume the dogs are automatically unwanted? Why do you assumr a local shelter wiuld have an acceptable dog or puppy?

Frankly Im getting tired of the Bob Barker disciples hijacking every thread.

have you checked out any of the shelters in your area?? or how about one or more of the multitude of lab rescue groups in this country??

trust us when we say that there are already PLENTY of purebred labs ALREADY here .... black, yellow and chocolate..... additional breeding for your own purposes is REALLY not necessary........

Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 AM

This was a genetic cross question, not a statement regarding a litter produced and on the ground. I am not a Lab person plus my breeds are not usually found in shelters. While I have no doubt that there may be a glut of Labs, I'm curious as to how that warranted the interjection of your commentary on breeding and its necessity.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 26,632 times
Thankyou so much oldenfatt, all of your information has been great. The reason i was babysitting the black lab is because he was dumped, Lab rescue and the guide dog association were contacted and although they could help me, not immediately so i looked after him in the meantime while exhausting the other options, have put up osters and contacted all the local authorities. I have now found him a home, where he will be loved and appreciated as he deserves, he is off to get his vet check and microchip today. If all goes well she wont be pregnant, but if she is i am glad i havent likely created a new cross breed of mixed colour labs, as these may be hard to find homes for, but Purebred labs with pure colours, there is a high demand for great dogs (especially labs after marley and me) and i wont have any problems selling them for a nice price, surely that will cover the costs of all the dealings with I have had after taking in this dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs