Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:57 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

I've seen an older rheumy MD and she called it fibrositis and I saw a young integrative rheumy after hip job and she called it fibromyalgia. This little booklet is published by Arthritis Foundation. Well, whatever it is, we believe what we believe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 02:58 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,453,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If you really have CFS/FM, I agree that I don't think thyroid in any form will help it. So I don't think the OP had CFS/FM. It was a misdiagnosed thyroid condition.

As recently as a month ago an MD turned natural, put me on an iodine complex and it only made me very sick. (Although I think it was a component of the iodine complex that made me so sick, not the iodine itself.)

No one knows what causes CFS but a lot of people (including myself) think we have some sort of a virus that we try to keep in check and that in times of illness and stress it re-surfaces. Fibro seems to accompany CFS many times and there seem to be many causes of fibro.
People wouldn't be sick if they changed their diet. Stop eating the foods that harm and eat the ones that heal. It is as simple as that.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:56 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
People wouldn't be sick if they changed their diet. Stop eating the foods that harm and eat the ones that heal. It is as simple as that.
No, it isn't. Not in the case of thyroid disease, it isn't.

OP and All, the reason going to the endos (etc.) is a "joke" is that insurance requires docs to avoid ordering the deeper thyroid testing that identifies the presence of antibodies. It's expensive, and insurance doesn't like to pay for it. So insurance worked out a diagnostic m.o. for MD's to follow, that allows them to declare thyroid patients "fine", if their levels are within a broadly-defined normal range, even if there's a tell-tale pattern of divergent levels in the initial test. The Mayo Clinic follows this script provided by the insurance industry, and teaches the endos-in-training that this is the way to go.

One of my endos, who was very good and received her thyroid training outside of the Mayo system, got a call from insurance telling her to cease and desist ordering so many thyroid-disease-specific tests. When she balked, they told her how to interpret the initial basic test, and to tell her patients they're fine. She was shocked, and said she couldn't lie to her patients, so Blue Cross Blue Shield sued her for fraud, for ordering too many thyroid tests in her practice. And they won. Which mean that she got booted off their roll, and lost her staff, because without her insurance income, she couldn't afford to have a staff. In the end, she managed to keep her practice going, but this story is alarming, and it proves that the system is rigged against thyroid patients.

So if you need to get diagnosed, you need to find an MD who operates outside of the insurance system, pay his/her higher fees, and pay for the blood tests yourself. It's expensive, but at least you'll get the care and diagnostic work you need. Once you have a diagnosis and the blood tests to back it up, you can go back to your regular doc, and they'll treat you for thyroid disease. All they need is the diagnostic test proving you have it, and then insurance will pay for treatment and follow-up monitoring tests. But they won't pay for the testing required for diagnosis in the first place. You have to pay for that on your own.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:15 PM

All the years I suspected sluggish thyroid besides an internist I saw 3 endos along the way and they were worthless...one touched around my thyroid and said it's fine but you have Fibro!!!!

It was my SMART D.O. who called in for desiccated Armour, no labs and in 4 days I felt so so much better...10 years of depression lifted. These recent decades of Endo MD's are failing their patients...going by the numbers. We are giving them symptoms and they are saying our numbers are good. Rubbish.....

My thinking for those struggling, find an OPEN minded doctor who will start you with a theraputic dose of desiccated thyroid and go from there....that is what they did in the olden days before labs.

Before I got my thyroid FIXED I wasn't sick, I was struggling with major depression. To me that is not sick but something is wrong. 10 yrs and for me it was after menopause.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:27 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
I hope you and your daughter are better now.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-12-2016, 03:32 PM

More information ammunition.

The Scandal: Thyroid Patients are Speaking Out, Wall Street Journal, and a new video! - Stop The Thyroid Madness

Old 04-12-2016, 03:35 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,314,747 times
Very interesting article. thanks.. I bookmarked it for later and will read it fully then, but I did read the part about Synthroid and while I feel its working for me somewhat. I think it's not doing all that it should.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:35 PM

So many older healing protocols have been thrown under the bus by the newer modern more expensive, not as effective drugs that have come on the scene. Desiccated thyroid for one. When Synthroid and their labs came on the scene in the 70's, the long tried and true Armour etc supports were pushed aside by this new drug and MD's trained to push it. To tell patients Armour was not good for them. I know the history.

I know folks who were on Syn and had to work long and hard to get their doc or find a doc to get them on desiccated support. They had side effects like heart palps for one. An endo tried to get me on Syn and in 4 days I was falling over with fatigue. He got a piece of my mind.

Some may like to read some of these reviews. Armour has been thru some changes in the last 10 yrs and thank goodness thru STTM, I found NP Thyroid by Acella which is a great generic. I get my NP from Walgreens and is quite affordable. I carry no drug insurance.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/communit...d-vs-synthroid

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-12-2016 at 04:44 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 04:45 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
You have no clue.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:47 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
long story short, the answer is Armour?

I am on it but I am not feeling a difference to Syn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine