Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 01:00 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

It's always been an old folk remedy but I never knew what for! According to studies, it kills cancer cells in the lab. Now it will be studied in humans. The root is very bitter and people usually make a (horrible tasting) tea from it. One study said that it's best to use the actual root rather than buying a supplement made from it.

30 patients to test dandelion's cancer-killing potential - Windsor - CBC News

Dandelion root destroys cancer cells, study finds - Australian National Review

Even the Snopes site does not negate it. Looks like what they negate is that big pharm isn't interested.

Scientists Cure Cancer, But No One Takes Notice : snopes.com

Obviously, you don't just go out and eat dandelion roots instead of getting medical treatment. But someone is ONTO something here, by the looks of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 02:44 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
That's interesting. I would certainly add a tea once in a while, or if someone had cancer add the extract to the regular treatment.

It all helps.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-21-2016, 02:55 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
This is interesting, OP. Canadian First Nations peoples in eastern Canada have been attending conferences in the US for at least 15 years now, talking about their herbal cancer remedies. I wonder if this is it.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:40 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's always been an old folk remedy but I never knew what for! According to studies, it kills cancer cells in the lab. Now it will be studied in humans. The root is very bitter and people usually make a (horrible tasting) tea from it. One study said that it's best to use the actual root rather than buying a supplement made from it.

30 patients to test dandelion's cancer-killing potential - Windsor - CBC News

Dandelion root destroys cancer cells, study finds - Australian National Review

Even the Snopes site does not negate it. Looks like what they negate is that big pharm isn't interested.

Scientists Cure Cancer, But No One Takes Notice : snopes.com

Obviously, you don't just go out and eat dandelion roots instead of getting medical treatment. But someone is ONTO something here, by the looks of it.
Dandelion is one of the super herbs as far as I can see. This goes over all the medicinal benefits and uses of dandelion. It is one of the Dr. John Christopher sites. http://www.herballegacy.com/Chhabra_Medicinal.html There are some healing stories at the end.

I would do the dandelions before doing invasive orthodox treatments definitely. I'd use the medical profession to diagnose via bloodwork and various imaging and that would be about it unless a tumor was obstructing my ability to eat or breath or eliminate, I would avoid surgery too.

You can't hurt yourself with whole herbs the way you can with Rx. There are plenty of knowledgeable herbalists who could help you out there if you know where to look. A really famous one, Dr. Linda Page, whose books, especially HEALTHY HEALING were the "go to" reference in health food stores going back to then 1970s. Another one of hers I love is called HOW TO BE YOUR OWN HERBAL PHARMACIST. Her website, where you can buy her formulas as well as her books, is healthyhealing.com

It is GREAT for the kidneys, adrenals and the liver and we need the kidneys to work to eliminate the dead cells we don't want. Part of what you see with cancer patients is that they don't seem to see reductions in their tumor sizes UNTIL their kidneys are able to eliminate lymphatic wastes from the body's cells in the urine.

I made a decoction out of Dandelion leaf, root, fresh parsley, milk thistle seed, rosemary and a little garlic
for my cat with stomach cancer who is doing an all natural program. I'm also giving him other herbs for toning his stomach and lymphatic herbs for cleaning out the acid wastes. I'm taking these myself, in fact, to know how they taste and because they can only help me as well.

Dandelion is also a great pre-biotic. It helps the body to produce digestive enzymes and improves digestive flora which is what you want. You don't want to be having to take digestive enzymes and probiotics all your life. It sends the wrong messages to your organs that they no longer need to produce them because they are already being supplied.

Dr Robert Morse tells a story of a patient he had that had been taking probitoics and digestive enzymes so much that his pancreas no longer was working. When Dr. Morse took him off the supplements, when the man pooped after eating an apple, it looked just like it did when it went in his mouth.

Instead of taking all these expensive supplements that may actually be hurting in the long run, especially if they are man-made isolates and not whole foods or whole herbs, we should be drinking dandelion tea or picking them in our back yards and eating them in our salads.

Last edited by emilybh; 04-24-2016 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-24-2016, 02:28 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
I'm not past believing there is some truth to this. I mean, all the drugs they create are synthesized from plants and other organics to begin with.
LOL, and we drink that tea once a day for years. It does taste terrible, but after a few days, you do get rather accustomed to it. Just use a lot of honey
(And we are both very healthy, and on not one medication)

Old 04-25-2016, 06:58 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I'm not past believing there is some truth to this. I mean, all the drugs they create are synthesized from plants and other organics to begin with.
LOL, and we drink that tea once a day for years. It does taste terrible, but after a few days, you do get rather accustomed to it. Just use a lot of honey
(And we are both very healthy, and on not one medication)
Exactly. The so called "wonder" drugs of today are isolates taken from the whole herb grown in Nature. That is unfortunate because our digestive tracts are more able to recognize and utilize and eliminate a whole herb naturally grown not "improved" by man which is perfectly balanced and buffered. The isolates are only parts taken from the herb and are no longer in balance. They do stimulate but they also enervate as with every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. That is why you need a prescription for drugs because they have side effects that the whole herbs don't have.

Of course we all know that Natural Health practitioners have been practicing for a LOT longer than the Allopaths or "modern" medical doctors have. They have just been shut out and discounted by the Allopaths. for a brief history of modern medicine, begin listening at the 8 minute mark of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YFS5qlAzgc

Old 05-14-2016, 05:51 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
How do you take the dandelion root?
Can you just dig them up from your garden or lawn clean them and eat them?

Old 05-15-2016, 02:45 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
I know that roasted dandelion root was used in the old days as a coffee substitute, and the blooms were used to make wine. My wife studied herbal medicine and says it is used in many remedies.

Some of you may have seen the garlic thread. Garlic kills cancer cells in a test tube so more research is needed there too. In a study of 41,000 people who regularly included garlic, fruits and vegetables in their diets, there were fewer cases of cancer.

I think people have been onto something for thousands of years. We have only been ignoring or rejecting what is in nature since modern times. We don't have stats and studies on how successful people were with natural treatments, but I bet they would have had more success with natural antibiotics, for example, if they had known about germ theory. We have the advantage of more knowledge today; we just need to use it.

Herbs, other plants and foods are almost always better or more effective than supplements. The human body is designed and evolved to process them. The quality of supplements is questionable as many have been found to use substandard raw materials or substandard processes. The supplement industry is no more interested in my health than big pharm. Both industries do a great job of appealing to people's emotions through marketing.

As I said, my wife studied herbal medicine and I have absorbed just enough to know that it's no joke and not for a novice. Not only can you harm yourself, you can kill yourself so please don't go off half-cocked digging up dandelions, ordering supplements, etc. First you need to know how it will react with any conditions you have, and any drugs or supplements you take.

I look at it as more of a preventive measure as Terra alluded to upthread. Food, which includes anything edible in nature, is medicine.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:25 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,010 times
^^^ Yeah, I've tried "dandytea" as well. Does taste similar to coffee.

When my wife was pregnant, she had PUPPS (rash) and the doc wanted to give her a steroid. NOOO way was that steroid touching my pregnant wife. Instead, we went with dandelion root capsules. Rash vanished after a few days. Great stuff.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:20 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
How do you take the dandelion root?
Can you just dig them up from your garden or lawn clean them and eat them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I know that roasted dandelion root was used in the old days as a coffee substitute, and the blooms were used to make wine. My wife studied herbal medicine and says it is used in many remedies.
This gave me an idea--if you're a coffee drinker and you have a coffee grinder, why not grind some up and drink with your coffee? win/win
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine