Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 10:36 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,858,051 times

Advertisements

I was going to park this in the blood pressure thread I have going but thought it deserves it's own post.

18 Causes of Mineral Depletion

I've been discussing potassium deficiency in particular with relationship to blood pressure...but all minerals are valuable.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-01-2016 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 06:29 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,497,859 times
Jamin, this is another area where the holistic health movement has talked themselves into this silly concept that ill health is caused by "DEFICIENCIES" when it has more to do with carrying an overload of toxic wastes for years and years and not getting RID of it.

Again you have your two people represented by two trash cans. One is free of debris and full of clean water. The other has only 30 percent water and 70 percent garbage.

If the person represented by the second can is sick, how long will it take before any supplements taken have any appreciable effect on the body? It might NEVER have any effect.

This is how people are mislead about the benefits of supplements. If their bodies are filled with toxic sludge, they need to first get rid of the sludge before minerals or nutrients are going to have any positive impact.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:23 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,858,051 times
I'll listen to your suggestions for me to get rid of 77 yrs of sludge, emily. jam

Old 06-01-2016, 11:34 PM

706 posts, read 762,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Jamin, this is another area where the holistic health movement has talked themselves into this silly concept that ill health is caused by "DEFICIENCIES" when it has more to do with carrying an overload of toxic wastes for years and years and not getting RID of it.

Again you have your two people represented by two trash cans. One is free of debris and full of clean water. The other has only 30 percent water and 70 percent garbage.

If the person represented by the second can is sick, how long will it take before any supplements taken have any appreciable effect on the body? It might NEVER have any effect.

This is how people are mislead about the benefits of supplements. If their bodies are filled with toxic sludge, they need to first get rid of the sludge before minerals or nutrients are going to have any positive impact.
Sometimes the deficiency is so severe that it really does need addressed. You're right that the sludge needs cleaned out, but there is great benefit to supplementing when one is really deficient. No amount of cleaning out is going to replenish an iodine or magnesium deficiency, nor a selenium or sulfur deficiency. It takes both (cleaning and replenishing) to gain good health in today's environment. Some minerals are vital to our ability to cleanse toxins. We need to be sufficient in them to help clear the gunk (heavy metals being an example).

In addition, it's important to balance our minerals at all times. We actually need sodium in certain amounts. It's a mistake to automatically put someone on a salt-restricted diet. I would first advise them to switch them to high-quality salt such as Himalayan pink salt or another inland whole salt, then I would advise that the person increase their potassium intake. Most of the "salt problems" can be attributed to using the wrong type of salt and to not getting enough potassium to balance the sodium.

Every person's deficiency will be different since we are all unique and we live in different environments. I need more MSM (sulfur) than some people because of all the amalgam fillings in my mouth. I also need more supplemental selenium and vitamin C. Someone else may be deficient in zinc or copper. We are all different and we need better mineral/vitamin testing that caters to these differences, and which measures whole-body sufficiency instead of just blood levels.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:22 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,046,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

Your liver and kidneys get rid of toxins and waste products. There is nowhere for "toxic sludge" to build up. Your intestines and colon are self cleaning for lack of better description. Your bladder also. DDT will collect in breast tissue but DDT has been off the market for many years now.

Clogged arteries may be deadly but the material clogging them is not toxic.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:57 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,828,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Your liver and kidneys get rid of toxins and waste products. There is nowhere for "toxic sludge" to build up. Your intestines and colon are self cleaning for lack of better description. Your bladder also. DDT will collect in breast tissue but DDT has been off the market for many years now.

Clogged arteries may be deadly but the material clogging them is not toxic.
As a doctor explained it to me, sometimes the liver (I don't know about the kidneys) is impaired and cannot do its job. Toxins do collect. This doctor explained that the liver needed to be built up with proper foods or supplements and then there were ways for it to do its job.

I remember this doctor talking about phase I and phase II detoxification pathways that the liver would use. But if the person had liver damage or certain factors were missing, the detoxification couldn't take place. I don't remember much more except that she mentioned Taurine, alpha lipoic acid, and a few others.

I'm not sure where the toxins built up--it's been a long time since I had this doctor, but I think maybe it was in the fat. Sweating was one way of getting rid of toxins but it didn't work that well. Mainly it was the job of the liver. She used to recommend building up the liver first, then exercising to mobilize the toxins from the fat (can't quite remember if that's accurate as to what she said). There may have been something about 15 minutes of vigorous exercise in a pool, then jumping into a cold water pool. I know she used to recommend a hot shower followed by a really cold shower. But the liver had to be healthy first.

If a person has lead poisoning there must be a way to detoxify the lead. Same with any other toxin that shouldn't be there. At the time I was seeing that doctor, my blood tests showed a really high amount of cadmium. All I can think of is that I used to do a lot of oil painting and the paints were named cadmium yellow, cadmium red. I used to paint in a closed room with no ventilation. I never did figure out how to eliminate/detoxify the cadmium.

There certainly is a place for the toxins to build up. My husband was told a couple of years ago though a blood test from his pcp that he has a lot of lead built up. The doctor didn't take it any further than that but I 'm guessing there must be ways to get this out of him. That's what we're talking about when we discuss detoxification.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:03 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,828,491 times
Heavy Metal Detoxification - 4 - Lead, Arsenic, Mercury - Life Extension Health Concern

There are probably better articles but this gives an overview of heavy metal accumulation.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As a doctor explained it to me, sometimes the liver (I don't know about the kidneys) is impaired and cannot do its job. Toxins do collect. This doctor explained that the liver needed to be built up with proper foods or supplements and then there were ways for it to do its job.
A Lic medical Dr made this claim? If your liver was impaired you would be sick enough to quickly seek help. We did not evolve needing artificial supplements for our liver. Proper food, of course. Too many people live on junk food.

Quote:
I remember this doctor talking about phase I and phase II detoxification pathways that the liver would use. But if the person had liver damage or certain factors were missing, the detoxification couldn't take place. I don't remember much more except that she mentioned Taurine, alpha lipoic acid, and a few others.
I don't know what kind of liver damage you mean. Cirrhosis of the liver? Liver cancer? One of the hepatitis?

Quote:
I'm not sure where the toxins built up--it's been a long time since I had this doctor, but I think maybe it was in the fat. Sweating was one way of getting rid of toxins but it didn't work that well. Mainly it was the job of the liver. She used to recommend building up the liver first, then exercising to mobilize the toxins from the fat (can't quite remember if that's accurate as to what she said). There may have been something about 15 minutes of vigorous exercise in a pool, then jumping into a cold water pool. I know she used to recommend a hot shower followed by a really cold shower. But the liver had to be healthy first.
To make the liver healthy, it first has to be diagnosed as diseased. Then the diagnosed disease treated, if possible.

Quote:
If a person has lead poisoning there must be a way to detoxify the lead. Same with any other toxin that shouldn't be there. At the time I was seeing that doctor, my blood tests showed a really high amount of cadmium. All I can think of is that I used to do a lot of oil painting and the paints were named cadmium yellow, cadmium red. I used to paint in a closed room with no ventilation. I never did figure out how to eliminate/detoxify the cadmium.
There are ways the medical profession has to help remove these toxic substances. Sorry to say, I am not up on them.

Quote:
There certainly is a place for the toxins to build up. My husband was told a couple of years ago though a blood test from his pcp that he has a lot of lead built up. The doctor didn't take it any further than that but I 'm guessing there must be ways to get this out of him. That's what we're talking about when we discuss detoxification.
And your husband never followed up to see what could be done to remove the lead? What did you do to remove the cadmium? I had a complete blood workup last Nov and nothing toxic was found. No deficiencies or excesses of anything. Kidney and liver values perfect.... I'm 72 yrs old. Despite that fact cancer has come back after 6 years. I am now getting radiation as it came back in my pelvic bone as metastasized cancer often does.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Heavy Metal Detoxification - 4 - Lead, Arsenic, Mercury - Life Extension Health Concern

There are probably better articles but this gives an overview of heavy metal accumulation.
OK, this is what you consider "toxic sludge"? I agree these are indeed toxic when exposed to constantly or in large amounts. Fortunately because of OHSA, few of us are so exposed these days on our jobs. Our bodies can rid us of these for the most part if continuing or heavy exposure is prevented. It is highly unlikely any of us have been exposed to such excessive amounts we're in dire or poor health. It's possible, but unlikely.

There was a section of the Hosp where I worked that dealt with heavy metal exposure. It was not something I had a particular interest in since so few people suffered from it.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:42 AM

706 posts, read 762,357 times
I think the biggest problem is that we are being inundated with toxins and our bodies can't always keep up. There are thousands of untested and possibly unsafe chemicals in our personal care products, cleaning products, and foods. We weren't actually designed to handle everything that's thrown at us nowadays. When our bodies become deficient in key nutrients, then it can't do its job of cleaning up. Those nutrients help chelate toxins and heavy metals. So we have a double whammy: our agriculture system is broken and doesn't nourish us (just feeds us) so we have rampant deficiencies, and then on top of that are the extra toxins in today's world. Add a few pathogens into the mix and our bodies are even more burdened.

I'm a really good example of what occurs when the body breaks, and what can be done without conventional oncology. I'm only in my 40s and have needed to treat myself for cancer for a few years now. I'm able to keep everything under control without chemo and radiation, just by walking the walk. I'm taking care of my deficiencies, I've eliminated as many endocrine disruptors as possible, and I'm filling the nutritional void with supplements that nourish my body. I'm not one for colonics or anything like that, so I choose to push out the toxins in other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine