Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 05:12 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,043,844 times

Advertisements

cruciferous healing foods that prevent cancer | Health Beat RX

At random I read this on an alt health site. First, the wording was so poor (childish expressions) it was obvious no Dr wrote it despite the Dr. Before the name. Many websites do this, though no Dr is involved. This is what paid professionals write and are paid for.

Just start reading it and see how the claim changes to "they could help with cancer prevention." No more "proven to prevent."

Then it goes on to claim, "Chemotherapy generally wipes out a whole area of the body, killing all cells in its path." I had to laugh at this one! Of course common sense would even tell a youngster with an IQ of 90 that if that was true, no one would survive chemo.

And of course this claim, "This is one safe and affordable way to help keep cancer from infiltrating your body." Really? My husband and I live on these cruciferous veggies, not to prevent cancer, but because we love them. And guess what? I developed adenocarcinoma!

Just to let people know who are on the fence that there is more nonsense on the net than anywhere else as it is not policed in anyway. Any of us can claim to be a Dr and make the most outlandish claims... and get away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 01:23 PM

26,665 posts, read 28,815,349 times
It looks like another case of Nobody Knows for Sure. The relationship between cruciferous vegetables and cancer is being studied but results are mixed and incomplete. Nobody's proven anything yet but there is enough interest that studies are being done on this.

Cruciferous Vegetables and Human Cancer Risk: Epidemiologic Evidence and Mechanistic Basis

Cruciferous vegetables are a rich source of glucosinolates and their hydrolysis products, including indoles and isothiocyanates, and high intake of cruciferous vegetables has been associated with lower risk of lung and colorectal cancer in some epidemiological studies

Cruciferous Vegetables and Cancer Prevention - National Cancer Institute

I haven't read your link but a lot of doctors use Dr but they are not MDs. Just look for the "MD" instead of just Dr. A person with a PhD is also a Dr. Many cancer researchers probably have doctoral degrees so if you want a medical doctor, just make sure it says "MD."

Old 06-26-2016, 05:19 PM

48,590 posts, read 35,070,562 times
Good points in this thread. This also ties in. It's John Oliver's segment on scientific studies, been meaning to post for awhile.

It is definitely worth the time to watch.

https://youtu.be/0Rnq1NpHdmw

(never done a link to YouTube....)
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-27-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Good points in this thread. This also ties in. It's John Oliver's segment on scientific studies, been meaning to post for awhile.

It is definitely worth the time to watch.

https://youtu.be/0Rnq1NpHdmw

(never done a link to YouTube....)
I wish we could get Verizon unlimited. With only 20 GBs a month, shared with DH, we don't watch videos that run over 30 seconds.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:18 AM

37,241 posts, read 41,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I wish we could get Verizon unlimited. With only 20 GBs a month, shared with DH, we don't watch videos that run over 30 seconds.
Next time you can borrow a device that will allow you to do it, watch the video. It's hilarious.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It looks like another case of Nobody Knows for Sure. The relationship between cruciferous vegetables and cancer is being studied but results are mixed and incomplete. Nobody's proven anything yet but there is enough interest that studies are being done on this.

Cruciferous Vegetables and Human Cancer Risk: Epidemiologic Evidence and Mechanistic Basis
Interesting. As far as I can see, from what I've seen on TV and read, there are no particular food items that prevent or shrink or cure cancer.

Quote:
Cruciferous vegetables are a rich source of glucosinolates and their hydrolysis products, including indoles and isothiocyanates, and high intake of cruciferous vegetables has been associated with lower risk of lung and colorectal cancer in some epidemiological studies.
Quote:

Cruciferous Vegetables and Cancer Prevention - National Cancer Institute

I haven't read your link but a lot of doctors use Dr but they are not MDs. Just look for the "MD" instead of just Dr. A person with a PhD is also a Dr. Many cancer researchers probably have doctoral degrees so if you want a medical doctor, just make sure it says "MD."
It's been known for some time about these veggies. It was the WORDING of the alt med heading that got me. Very deceptive. Very deceiving . And the fact anyone can call themselves anything they want online, fooling a lot of trusting and gullible and desperate people. They can put the Dr before or MD after and nothing will happen to them. At worst a complaint to the webmaster will have the website closed - but they'll simply open another.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:27 PM

26,665 posts, read 28,815,349 times
Quote:
Interesting. As far as I can see, from what I've seen on TV and read, there are no particular food items that prevent or shrink or cure cancer.

[i]

It's been known for some time about these veggies. It was the WORDING of the alt med heading that got me. Very deceptive. Very deceiving . And the fact anyone can call themselves anything they want online, fooling a lot of trusting and gullible and desperate people. They can put the Dr before or MD after and nothing will happen to them. At worst a complaint to the webmaster will have the website closed - but they'll simply open another.
Yeh, I'm skeptical when they use "Dr" when giving medical advice. They're usually selling something too.

Skeptical, but often there is a grain of truth in what they say and that leads me to do some more research to see if they're lying or if they're really on to something. Caveat emptor.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:30 PM

48,590 posts, read 35,070,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Next time you can borrow a device that will allow you to do it, watch the video. It's hilarious.

It was on a few weeks ago and I immediately thought of this forum.

I prefer to get all my news via humor, otherwise I can't take it.

If it wasn't for NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, John Oliver and Trevor Noah...... I would have no idea what is happening in the world. I'm not even a liberal. /lol

Sorry.... wrong forum.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-29-2016, 07:29 PM

706 posts, read 762,120 times
Quote:
And of course this claim, "This is one safe and affordable way to help keep cancer from infiltrating your body." Really? My husband and I live on these cruciferous veggies, not to prevent cancer, but because we love them. And guess what? I developed adenocarcinoma!
Hopefully, nobody is naive enough to think that eating a bunch of broccoli is going to prevent cancer. It takes much more than that to prevent cancer from proliferating. There *is* evidence that sulfurophane and other constituents to broccoli can help prevent cancer, but it doesn't contain everything we need for good health. It's just one component that can assist in prevention or treatment. Many things can go wrong in the human body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine